What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More

carbontune

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
United Kingdom
Less than 48 hours ago I called Apple UK Sales and ordered a 2017 iMac 5K as I discussed the issue that the Mac Mini hasn't been upgraded for several years, so chose a 2017 iMac to replace my old Mac Mini. I was totally unaware of an imminent Apple event and the Apple sales advisor didn't mention anything either, otherwise I'd probably have waited two days.

I'm not sure what to do IF there's a new Mac Mini announced today or a newer version of the iMac.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Less than 48 hours ago I called Apple UK Sales and ordered a 2017 iMac 5K as I discussed the issue that the Mac Mini hasn't been upgraded for several years, so chose a 2017 iMac to replace my old Mac Mini. I was totally unaware of an imminent Apple event and the Apple sales advisor didn't mention anything either, otherwise I'd probably have waited two days.

I'm not sure what to do IF there's a new Mac Mini announced today or a newer version of the iMac.
The Mac mini isn’t rumored to be announced until sometime in October. Apple will often extend the 15 day return period to 30 days or longer if you exchange a new purchase for a newly released model but if you have an Apple store close by you might want to drop in and have a chat with the manager.

But don’t expect that manager to know whether a mini will actually be released in October, or what day it might happen (just like phone sales). Apple doesn’t tell them in advance. No one outside corporate really knows if there will even be a mini update, let alone what the date might be. It’s just a rumor at this point.

btw the iMac is also expected to be updated, but afaik the rumors for October aren’t as strong as they are for the mini.

Last edited:

carbontune

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
United Kingdom
The Mac mini isn’t rumored to be announced until sometime in October. Apple will often extend the 15 day return period to 30 days or longer if you exchange a new purchase for a newly released model but if you have an Apple store close by you might want to drop in and have a chat with the manager.

But don’t expect that manager to know whether a mini will actually be released in October, or what day it might happen (just like phone sales). Apple doesn’t tell them in advance. No one outside corporate really knows if there will even be a mini update, let alone what the date might be. It’s just a rumor at this point.

btw the iMac is also expected to be updated, but afaik the rumors for October aren’t as strong as they are for the mini.
I'm not too bothered about the Mac Mini now. It's more that an updated iMac might be announced today. I've just called Apple Sales UK and they've reassured me that they will swap out my yet-to-arrive 2017 iMac if there's an updated iMac announced today. They said there's a 14 day window so that's okay.

As for an October announcement, that wouldn't hurt as much so I'd probably still keep the 2017 model.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Aftermath747

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Well it's 5.3mm taller, 3.8mm wider, 0.6mm thicker and 36g heavier, bigger in every dimension - if you already found the iPhone 6/7/8 size a bit big it's noticeably bigger, and that jump in weight is more than from the SE to the 7 too!

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-SE,Apple-iPhone-7,Apple-iPhone-X/phones/10001,9815,10414
That’s fair. I guess if the 6/7/8 was right at the edge of too big, the X could cross that line. It does seem strange that the same company that once told us 3.5” was the perfect screen size would completely abandon small phone fans, regardless of how their numbers may be dwindling.

Reactions: Jimrod

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
That’s fair. I guess if the 6/7/8 was right at the edge of too big, the X could cross that line. It does seem strange that the same company that once told us 3.5” was the perfect screen size would completely abandon small phone fans, regardless of how their numbers may be dwindling.
Yeah, on a purely anecdotal basis I do have the feeling that small phone fan numbers are dwindling more from lack of options than preference though. I think young people tend to like huge phones but many iPhone users in my 40+ age group I chat with held on to iPhone 4's and 5's for a long time in the wait for a good upgrade option before taking on the iPhone 7 etc. I think an "X" design in an SE sized case (so larger screen) would sell incredibly well to people like me, even at a similar price to the larger model.

Reactions: Aftermath747

GRANTCKING

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
will I be able to watch this keynote thing without an apple device? only got a windows 10 laptop

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
You're under the impression that it's not possible to avoid direct use of Google services? It very much is.
Cutting ones nose off to spite ones face springs to mind...
[doublepost=1536768935][/doublepost]
The world will stop today to watch this event.

More people will be watching live today than people will buy Samsung phones in the next 12 months.
Which is more phones than any oem on the planet, so I'm not quite sure what your point is....

carbontune

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
United Kingdom
will I be able to watch this keynote thing without an apple device? only got a windows 10 laptop
This is the note at the bottom of the live stream:

• This stream is best experienced on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using Safari on iOS 10 or later; a Mac using Safari on macOS Sierra 10.12 or later; or a PC using Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge. Streaming to Apple TV via AirPlay requires an Apple TV (2nd generation or later) with the latest Apple TV software or tvOS. Other platforms may also be able to access the stream using recent versions of Chrome or Firefox (MSE, H.264, and AAC required).

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Do you have any idea how popular these events are around the world?

ISP's typically report an unprecedented surge in traffic for the duration of these announcements.
Really? So the kids taking a day off school out numbered for example the super bowl or the presidential election? Right on Timmy!!

OlliFlamme

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
This waiting is driving me nuts. I barely can sleep more than 4 hours straight. I fall asleep and I wake up thinking about the event and the iPhones and Watches and all the new products. :mad::confused:
May you have a good night’s sleep tonight, finally saturated with the new updates ;)
[doublepost=1536784552][/doublepost]
Apple says that every year. “This is the fastest, (insert product here) we have ever made.” Followed by “We are really proud if it.”
They were also very excited, as ever o_O

Also, they were truly the best and we had to look at how truly beautiful the thingies were...:confused:

Last edited:

vegabook

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
London
Wow so it will be a 32 core Mac Mini with a new partnership announced with AMD! Even better.
Friend, the only way you're going to get 32-core Threadripper power is by using it under Linux. My heart beats for the dreamland you describe, but it's sadly in a parallel universe. AAPL will not do AMD ZEN arch at all, let alone in the Mini. Even under Windows 32C/64T threadripper overwhelms the scheduler.

I'm Mac guy - but I long ago learned to SSH into a Linux box for any heavy lifting whatsoever. That's an ecosystem that properly respects high performance.

Last edited:

carbontune

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
United Kingdom
Has anyone else's iPhone slowed down and/or become a little erratic since the Apple Event? I've had a couple of apps freeze that I could not kill and I had to restart my phone. I've also noticed severe lag in some apps. Perhaps it was just a coincidence. I have an iPhone 7. It does seem to be a little better this morning though.