Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off on Monday morning, with a keynote event that starts at 10:00 a.m. This year's event promises to be exciting, because alongside new versions of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS, there are also rumors suggesting we're going to see several hardware updates.

New Mac notebooks are likely to be unveiled, and there's apparently a 70 percent chance we'll see the much-rumored 10.5-inch iPad Pro and a 50 percent chance Apple will use the event to introduce its Siri speaker, designed to compete with the Amazon Echo.

Check out the video and list below for an extensive overview of what we expect to see introduced at the event.

Software

iOS 11
We've heard little about iOS 11 ahead of its debut, so many of the features in the newest version of iOS will come as a surprise. iOS 11 is expected to feature a redesigned interface, with the first major system-wide design changes since iOS 7, but what it will look like is up in the air.

Apple has been rumored to be working on some major updates to Siri, and the company has purchased several AI and machine learning startups, so it's possible iOS 11 will introduce expanded Siri capabilities. One feature that's been rumored is Siri integration with additional types of third-party apps, expanding beyond the existing categories of ride booking, messaging, photo search, payments, VoIP calling, and fitness.

ios11-800x500.jpg

Rumors have suggested the update will include support for group FaceTime calls for the first time, a feature many have wanted for years, and Apple Music head Jimmy Iovine has said iOS 11 is going to include a new version of the Music app that "better showcases video" as Apple prepares to launch its first original Apple Music TV show, Carpool Karaoke.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect at WWDC 2017: Software Updates, Mac Notebook Refresh, New iPad Pro, Siri Speaker Possible

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
It is kinda crazy how very little has leaked about iOS 11 so far. Usually there's a fair amount of stuff this close to WWDC that's been leaked. At this point, it feels that with everything set to be shown, iOS 11 may be taking a backseat, especially if a lot of it can't be revealed until the new iPhones. Either that or we are in for a lot of surprises on Monday from iOS 11.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Regarding the iPads, the 10.5" will be larger than the current 9.7", and that mockup image isn't accurate. There will be a 12.9".

I'm excited for surprises with software though, and the possible new magic keyboard.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I would have considered iOS 10 a pretty major design upgrade, but I guess it wasn't as 'radical' of a change as 7 was from 6. I wonder if iOS 11 will really look that different, or if it will just have more emojis and widgets.

I'll believe 11 is as big of a visual change as iOS 7 when 3rd party app makers are scrambling to update the look of their icons again!

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
It is kinda crazy how very little has leaked about iOS 11 so far. Usually there's a fair amount of stuff this close to WWDC that's been leaked. At this point, it feels that with everything set to be shown, iOS 11 may be taking a backseat, especially if a lot of it can't be revealed until the new iPhones. Either that or we are in for a lot of surprises on Monday from iOS 11.

Maybe there aren't any new features and they've devoted the past year to fixing the plethora of bugs that they've introduced since adopting the forced-march upgrade cycle?

Unfortunately about as likely as Loki and Thor moving in together and do a reprise of Oscar and Felix on the next reboot of the Odd Couple.

At least one of those would be a welcome surprise :)
[doublepost=1496434912][/doublepost]
OSX 10.13 "Van Nuys" on the way.

10.13 "Fresno"?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I've got unlimited data again. So, I'll be able to have the keynote on while I'm at work. Hooray!!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
All I want is a macbook update hopefully with 16gb ram as an option. and a redesign to iOS 11 would be nice to see.

This is the first time I am ever off from work on the day of an apple event so it will be cool to watch a live keynote for the first time ever. I'll be on a flight to vegas with wi-fi so that should be nice.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What to Expect at WWDC 2017? Disappointment.

You mean disappointment.... for you. Not everybody has that mindset or negativity that needs to entail following WWDC. Others look forward to seeing what new OS will bring to Apples lineup. And more so, it's not just a about Apple, as much as it is the developers. And if any hardware does launch and is announced, it's merely a bonus.

Last edited:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Good video as always, thanks!

For one such as myself that has moved away from closely following what's going on this is helpful

Reactions: timsutcliffe

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Any ideas as to where I might find the desktop picture used in the " MacOS 10.13" photo (land and ocean)?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.