Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
My only expectation is Apple to give the Mac some love. Mac Pro, Mini, iMac, displays, Airport, etc desperately need updates. Come on Tim. Get this going.
2 out of your 5 Apple has publicly made comments that they have abandoned or halted further development-check the sites past articles for information on displays and airports.

But I too would love some Mac love.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So why not just bump the 9.7" Pro to ~326 ppi and call it good enough? Because Apple like to keep it simple for developers. The Apple way is to borrow a pre-existing screen resolution for the pixel density upgrade as they did when the Mini was jacked to the same resolution as the iPad Air. Thus the prediction writes itself: the upcoming iPad will feature the Pro's 2048 x 2732 resolution with ~326 ppi, which results in a display size of 10.5", exactly the size reported by those analysts with supply chain sources. The new lineup is thus:

View attachment 680923

A nice separation of iDevice sizes with consistently high pixel density on all but the top end. All with a bigger iPad but no new resolution to which developers must adapt their apps.
Might they do something with the ppi of the 4.7" model? Or what ppi could the rumoured 5" model have?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Aka 13" MBP without TouchBar that a) is cheaper, b) thinner and lighter, c) has the same battery life, and d) has a larger, aka 14" screen. Did I get that right? Or do want the 12" MB CPU in a 14" body, priced maybe $200 above the 12" MB with a similar thickness and battery life as the 12" MB?

The 13" non touchbar MacBook Pro is still a MacBook Pro.

So...Look at the:
MacBook Air 11" and 13"
Iphone 4.7 and 5.5.
MacBook Pro 13" and 15"

Apple stretching the same factor is nothing new. I don't want a MacBook Pro, it's too heavy and powerful. I want a MacBook 14". So basically stretching the same form factor retaining the thickness

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Apple will probably announce 3 new iphones, one of which will be the premium model. I predict they will call this the 10th anniversary iphone or iphoneX. The other two will just be called the iphone 7s & 7s plus.

Reactions: EdT and Aldaris

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
hmm 299 for a case, not bad considering the phone is 1999
If you look at the production processes used for ceramic watches (including Apple's version), you'll see that they are very hard to scale up to tens of million of units per quarter. It simply takes way too long to produce the ceramic part. It is fine for niche products (let's say the Apple Watch sells at 10 million per quarter and 5% are Edition sales, that would 500'000, vs at least 10x that for a higher-end iPhone).

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
2016 showed me this. The only thing I got from the complaints about Apple this year is that people are afraid of change and don't know how good they have things compared to those of us who have been around for a long time and seen many changes.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The 13" non touchbar MacBook Pro is still a MacBook Pro.

So...Look at the:
MacBook Air 11" and 13"
Iphone 4.7 and 5.5.
MacBook Pro 13" and 15"

Apple stretching the same factor is nothing new. I don't want a MacBook Pro, it's too heavy and powerful. I want a MacBook 14". So basically stretching the same form factor retaining the thickness
The 13" MBP esc has a 15-W TDP CPU, weighs 1.37 kg, is 14.9 mm thick and has a 54.5 Wh battery.
The 13" MBA has a 15-W TDP CPU, weighs 1.35 kg, is 17 mm thick and has a 54 Wh battery.

The 13" MBP esc is a retina MBA in all but name and general shape (rectangular vs wedge profile). Internally it looks quite different from the 13" MBP with TouchBar. It costs $200 more than the 12" MB, not an unusual separation for a computer with a larger display (and coincidentally a faster CPU, GPU and I/O and larger gamut display).

You can argue that there is space for a 13" retina MBA (ie, the 13" MBP esc) and a 13 or 14" MB with Core M (aka 5-W TDP) CPUs and lower battery capacity that together enable a thinner and lighter device than a 13" retina MBA. But price-wise, this might be a more difficult segmentation.

$1299, 12" MB
$1499, 14" MB
$1499, 13" MBP esc
$1799, 13" MBP with TouchBar

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
And if they don't do-it like a rockstar, it'll make my decision to bail and move to Android all that much easier. This is the year I would be upgrading my MacBook Pro and Phone.
I'm personally holding out for the Surface Book 2 next year. Bet that laptop is going to killer.

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
This is going to be the best year in the history of the company. The products Apple will realease are just unbelievable. They will blow people's mind. You will see the the widest range of colors in the entire tech industry. There will be new watch bands that will make YSL envy. Needless to say, all the products will be thinner and thinner as unnecessary ports are removed from the devices. The new emoji collection will have the most comprehensive ethnicity ever created. The number of online orders for each product category will be the largest in Apple's history and will outpace the competition by many folds. The company will continue to make efforts to improve safety and privacy. On top of that, they will continue to make sure we live in a better planet.

For all that, I thank you Tim, for ruining Apple computers.

Happy 2017, everyone!

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I can feel it is going to be a big year. 10th anniversary iPhone, properly refreshed Mac lineup and if we are lucky something new...

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
My prediction for September 2017 iPhone:

iPhone 7s and iPhone Pro

For both: 99% certain that Apple deletes the Home Button. TouchID becomes integrated into the display panel. This will allow seamless access to alerts on the Lock Screen. Instead of swiping an email or alert and then touching the home button, the user just swipes and the iPhone reads the fingerprint instantly.

For iPhone Pro: 50% certain that Lightning Port gets deleted. I predict a contactless wireless charger sort of like Apple Watch for faster charging, and some kind of slower wide area wireless charging capability.

75% certain OLED instead of LCD panel.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
With my Mac Pro late 2013 slowly dying, for the first time, I'm considering other venues than Apple.

As for the software fragmentation, I wonder when people are fed up, that they can only use certain features with certain combinations. There will only be a few people who will always have the latest and best: i.e. the latest iPhone, the latest Apple Watch and the latest Apple TV. e.g. I cannot use 2-way-authentication because my Apple TV 3 doesn't support it.

macOS: oh make it stable again.

iOS: oh make it efficient again, this version is unaesthetic, it's beyond words (let's just look at the music app: GUI-catastrophy: rating, swiping, gliding, swipping, swopping... and the audio book player looks differently altogether.) Just because you can do it, doesn't make it good. This music app is crap. Overloaded, overplayed and unusable.

watchOS: Oh dear God, give me an interface which makes sense! I cannot deal with this mashup of icons. The dock was the best idea and the speed increase more than welcome, but the main interface is still a mess.

and there are so many other areas where they need to do things: iTunes store? A tagged mess: the sort order of series is a catastrophy, at least in non-US countries. Indications for languages: another mess.

Sigh. FOCUS, Apple. Simplicity. GUI. Speed.
This is not fashion. These are instruments we use everyday!

Last edited:

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
What does "flexible" mean in light of the anticipated phone described? It's NOT flexible, right? It's just molded to the substrate to create the wraparound edges? "Flexible" doesn't seem like it fits...

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
What to expect? More of the same we got in 2016. Under-powered, under-spec'd "Pro" notebooks, more neglect of the Mac line-up (if not outtright dicsontinuation of the Mac Mini & Mac Pro), buggy software geared towards the consumer market completely neglecting the true professionals, watch bands and people leaving more and more for Apple's competitors sadly.

dschamis

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
Too late for me - I'd been waiting years for a new Mac Pro and 2016 was the year I threw in the towel. I bought a great Windows 10 desktop and a Surface Book laptop and I'm shocked at how good they both are - Windows 10 is a far cry from the crap that I remember from >10 years ago.

There is no reason to hang around to wait for a new Mac - great Windows options exist right now.

bighype

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
The way things are going, 2017 will be the last year of Mac. Apple is clearly killing Mac Pro and Mac mini. About the only thing we can expect is an updated iMac in 2017. Nothing else on the Mac side will be updated. Apple killed off almost all of the Mac ecosystem products (RIP AirPort and Thunderbolt Display)
[doublepost=1483128907][/doublepost]
Too late for me - I'd been waiting years for a new Mac Pro and 2016 was the year I threw in the towel. I bought a great Windows 10 desktop and a Surface Book laptop and I'm shocked at how good they both are - Windows 10 is a far cry from the crap that I remember from >10 years ago.

There is no reason to hang around to wait for a new Mac - great Windows options exist right now.
Windows 10 is crap. It's not even close to macOS. I'd hate my life if I had to use that garbage day-to-day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.