Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple earlier this week surprised us with an unexpected October event, and curiously, it is set to take place on Monday, October 30 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Apple has never hosted a nighttime event before, so Monday should be quite interesting.

The "Scary Fast" event will be focused on the Mac, which has been confirmed by Apple's artwork for the event. On Apple's website, there is an Apple logo that morphs into the Mac Finder icon, so it's Macs that we're going to see.

Rumors have been mixed about what we can expect at the event, but it's sounding like we'll get the entire M3 chip lineup. We've outlined what we've heard is coming, but we might also get some unexpected announcements.

14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro

The 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models were updated with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips in January 2023, so it is early for an update, but it is not unheard of for Apple to refresh a Mac twice in a single year.

macbook-pro-orange.jpg

Apple is expected to update the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with its next-generation M3 Pro and M3 Max chips, which will come less than a year after Apple debuted the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips.

The base M3 Pro chip will have a 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU, with upgrades available for a 14-core CPU and 20-core GPU. The base M3 Max chip will have a 16-core GPU and a 32-core GPU, with an option to upgrade to a 40-core GPU.

Upgrading from M2 Pro/M2 Max to M3 Pro and M3 Max should bring notable performance improvements, especially when it comes to the GPU and the ability for the MacBook Pro to run high-end games.

There was a recent rumor from DigiTimes suggesting that the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will get more power-efficient miniLED displays, so there is a chance that we'll also see tweaks to display performance.

If we get the M3 upgrade and a new miniLED display, the MacBook Pro models could have significant improvements to their battery life. Aside from the new chips and the possible new display, we are not expecting any other design changes for the MacBook Pro models.

iMac

Apple hasn't refreshed the 24-inch iMac since 2021, and it's still using the M1 chip. The iMac is expected to get an update at Apple's event, and the new version will use the M3 chip, the same chip that will be in the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

iMac-M3-Blue-Feature.jpg

Jumping from M1 to M3 will improve both CPU and GPU performance, but most notably the GPU performance. The M3 chip supports more RAM, so we could see more maximum memory available with an update, as well as a higher-capacity SSD.

There won't be notable design changes to the display of the iMac, but Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes that Apple will tweak the stand. Some of the internal components in the iMac will be relocated and redesigned, with a new manufacturing process used to attach the stand.

An upgrade to Wi-Fi 6E is likely, as is Bluetooth 5.3. These are technologies that have been introduced in other Macs over the last year. The M3 iMac is reportedly being tested in orange, blue, pink, and silver finishes, so we should see some of the same color options that were available with the M1 iMac.

USB-C Accessories

Apple is expected to eliminate the Lightning port in several of its Mac accessories, including the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Keyboard. Instead of Lightning, these devices will adopt a USB-C port as part of Apple's transition to USB-C across its entire product lineup.

magic-mouse-2-lightning.jpeg

Other Possibilities

Aside from the iMac and refreshed 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, there are no other rumors that suggest other devices are getting updated.

Initial information indicated that the 13-inch MacBook Pro could see a refresh with an M3 chip, but Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has since confirmed the 13-inch MacBook Pro will be refreshed at a later date.

Other Macs, including the MacBook Air, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Mac Studio won't be updated until 2024, and the same goes for the iPads and AirPods. We are not expecting new iPads or new versions of the AirPods until next year.

How to Watch

Apple's "Scary Fast" event begins at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time on Monday, October 30. Apple is streaming the event on its Events website that can be viewed on any web browser, plus there will be a livestream on YouTube.

For those with access to the Apple TV app on the Apple TV set-top box or a smart TV, Apple will also offer an event livestream option for your TV.

For those unable to watch, MacRumors will be providing full event coverage on MacRumors.com and the MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Article Link: What to Expect From the 'Scary Fast' October 30 Apple Event

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Why the disappointment? Those people will still have a great computer. Most people don’t upgrade at every cpu iteration.
The disappointment is the lack of innovation at Apple.
Look at all the other laptop manufacturers. They are releasing new form factors, new features, new visual looks & honestly have started to close the gap on quality/luxury that Apple offered.

That being said, I could never use WindowsOS and even though the Mac OS is boring - it is still simpler than clunky windows (although the rate Apple is going, they will catch up soon)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
All those people so sure about release schedules based upon only the timing of 2 iterations would have their logic spoiled if PRO & MAX arrive at the same time as M3. Will they then deduce that there will be long-wait (18-month): short wait (12-month) tick tock releases... or conclude that with M3 speeding up the time-based pace, M4 will not be no more than 8-9 months out, M5 no more than 5-6 months after that, M-6 no more than 3 after that and approx. M10 will launch BEFORE M9? ;)

Moral of this joke: there is no pattern in 2 (or 3) iterations of anything. Coin flips: heads, then heads, then heads. Obviously flipping this coin always yields heads. Place a big, certain bet on the next flip? When we get to about M5 or M6, some repetitive history may project something. Until then, anything can happen at any time.

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Look at all the other laptop manufacturers. They are releasing new form factors, new features, new visual looks & honestly have started to close the gap on quality/luxury that Apple offered.

This made me laugh.

I just ordered an off-cycle Dell at work a few weeks ago.

It looks essentially identical to the on-cycle ones I ordered in early 2021, which were 2020 models.

Laptops are laptops. Gimmicks aren't really welcome at this point. As for 'new form factors', it hardly went un-noticed that Microsoft had an event recently and refreshed...the laptops, and the low-end tablet got a refresh for enterprise. No Surface Pro refresh, no new Duo.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
There won't be notable design changes to the display of the iMac, but Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes that Apple will tweak the stand. Some of the internal components in the iMac will be relocated and redesigned, with a new manufacturing process used to attach the stand.

Unless it's re-engineered to allow the display to swivel vertically and/or is now height adjustable, this new stand won't impact end users.

Last edited:

Greggers135

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
United States
M2 iMac refresh, Apple TV 4k 4th gen with either the A17Pro or A17 variation to take advantage of the AAA game title ports on the big screen in the Apple Ecosystem, iPad mini refresh with A17Pro/A17 variant for the AAA game titles.

i can see a mention of switching over keyboards/mice/etc over to USB-C but honestly would be better for just a press release or a silent release.

Scary Fast refers to Resident Evil games being ported over and people are reading to much into the finder face just a fun gimmick to play into Halloween.

This is just my 2 cents.

Edit: Resident Evil is expected to be released on Oct 30, 2023 which is the same day as this event.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
What to expect? People who spent a ton on a MBP in January to be disappointed? I would be no matter the explanation. I’ll still watch even though I’m not in the market for any more Macs this year.
I "spent a ton on a MBP in January" but it would be stupid to be disappointed just because tech keep advancing as always. New M3 MBPs will be of interest but certainly not disappointing. I would only be disappointed if tech stopped advancing.

I really want to see Mac Pros advance but it sounds like that is not happening yet.

Last edited:

Greggers135

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
United States
I "spent a ton on a MBP in January" but it would be stupid to be disappointed just because tech keep advancing as always. New M3 MBPs will be of interest but certainly not disappointing. I would only be disappointed if tech stopped advancing.

I really want to see Mac Pros advance but it sounds like that is not happening yet.
About all they would have to do for Mac Pros to advance and probably sell better is announce they are going to be supporting 3rd party GPU, but to my knowledge if they were going to do this there would already be hints in Betas.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The 3nm chip not boasting huge battery life for the iPhone 15 makes me pessimistic we'll see a big jump in battery life for these M3 MBPs. I hope I'm wrong, but Apple seems to be favoring performance lately.
Thank goodness Apple seems to be favoring performance lately. MBP battery life is already superb, so performance is very much where Apple's efforts should focus.

Note that unlike battery improvements, each performance improvement is functionally a real reduction in price, because users can do more without spending more. E.g. I paid similar ~$4k for loaded MBPs in 2011, 2017 and 2023. Similar price but each new box was many times stronger than the previous MBP.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
This made me laugh.

I just ordered an off-cycle Dell at work a few weeks ago.

It looks essentially identical to the on-cycle ones I ordered in early 2021, which were 2020 models.

Laptops are laptops. Gimmicks aren't really welcome at this point. As for 'new form factors', it hardly went un-noticed that Microsoft had an event recently and refreshed...the laptops, and the low-end tablet got a refresh for enterprise. No Surface Pro refresh, no new Duo.
you don't want to fold your laptop screen into half just to see notifications ?
you don't want tiny always on screen on the laptop to see notifications ?
Apple should step up their game here in innovation
:)

no-reply

Suspended
Oct 3, 2023
My nearly 3 year old M1 Touch Bar MacBook Pro is holding up well. I want to get to 5 years old before contemplating a replacement.

Amazing. 3 years in. Battery still lasts me from 8.50 to 6pm at college. Everybody else plugs in their PC laptops before lunch hour and I walk past.

Can’t wait for what’s released next week. As those innovations will be in whichever Mac I eventually replace mine with ⭐️

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
The pragmatist in me sees this as an attempt to juice the second half of the Oct-Dec. quarter, their traditionally highest grossing quarter. When are stock options granted and exercised? :). But it we do get new M3 MacBook pros, I will be a buyer, as it fits my need to get in some business expense deductions this calendar year.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
What ever comes to the surface of the swamp, I will be curious if any M3 variations are present and what their single core speed is as compared to the M1 and M2. I am not a dedicated techie any more, but is seems the M1 was limited to 16GB of ram and the M2 supports 24GB of ram. I would guess the M3 could support 32 GB of ram. My M1 Ultra supports 128GB of ram, the M2 Ultra supports 192GB of ram so one could expect the M3 Ultra to support 256GB of ram. The M1 Max supports 64GB or ram and the M2 Max supports 96GB of ram so one could expect the M3 Max to support 128GB of ram.

Both the M1 Pro and M2 Pro only support 32GB of ram which is curious when compared to the notes above.

My last of the Intel chips Mini supports 64GB of third party (OWC) memory. I would be tempted by an M3 Mini version that supports 64GB of memory for my file server. Memory is used to cache the incoming data streams.

A MacBook 14" or 16" Pro with 128GB of ram and a 8TB SSD would also be of interest only if there is a significant increase in single core speeds.

Reactions: seek3r and u+ive

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Although it’s most likely they will update Macs next week, don’t believe anything these analysts claim, last week the biggest names were claiming no new Macs or Apple events this year!

It won’t take 2 hours to just talk about an M3 chip in the new Macs.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Although it’s most likely they will update Macs next week, don’t believe anything these analysts claim, last week the biggest names were claiming no new Macs or Apple events this year!

It won’t take 2 hours to just talk about an M3 chip in the new Macs.

I don't think there's been any public statement from Apple as to event length?

Reactions: Tadros

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
What do you all think the chances are of them announcing the m3 Ipad Pro’s? Or ultimately do you think that gets announced in the spring?

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

That being said, I could never use WindowsOS and even though the Mac OS is boring - it is still simpler than clunky windows (although the rate Apple is going, they will catch up soon)
Yeah, but I'm not sure I care. The ecosystem is what matters most to me and my Mac works amazingly well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.