What was your first computer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by egy195, Feb 22, 2014.

1. egy195 macrumors regular

hi guys,
    i got the inspiration of this topic after i read 'What was your first cell phone?' and i thought about doing this topic as a way of nostalgia :rolleyes:
    mine was back in 2002, a family friend built it for me and loaded it with all kinds of games and songs and these stuff, i was really young to use it for things other than that.
    so, what about your first computer ?

2. Yester5, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

TI 99-4A..ran TI Basic. Around 1981 or so, IIRC...used a TV set for your monitor.
    Those old TI games were a lot of fun...

Then a Tandy 1000TX...80286 processor...3.5" floppy for booting into DOS 3.1. Came with Deskmate installed in ROM.
    I saved up $500.00 to buy a 20MB hard disk for her :eek:
    Learned WordPerfect and Lotus 123 on her...

Attached Files:

3. egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

wow you've seen it all then, i didn't know these computers before i read your post, very nice :)

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

5. egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

wow ! bbc used to make computers :eek:

6. mreg376, Feb 22, 2014

mreg376 macrumors 6502a

My Atari 800 system. Around 1983. Eventually bought the Atari 850 Interface Module, Modem, Dual Percom 5" Drives, and Epson printer.

Attached Files:

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Attached Files:

8. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

9. And macrumors 6502

And

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Commadore Vic 20. It was quite frustrating. My parents new nothing about computers, but bought it so we could learn about them. I never really had much of an interest except playing games. The ones we had on cartridge were okay, but a lot of the tape ones would never load.

Attached Files:

11. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

12. egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

i remember watching chris pirillo talking about this being his first computer too

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Nice. I had the later version Atari 800XL, released around '84 or so.

[​IMG]

It was the first computer I owned. Well, I wouldn't say owned exactly. I was only 5 or so at the time, and it was officially my mom and dad's, but I did get to play with it quite a bit.

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

[​IMG]

Macintosh LC
    This was the first one I bought for myself back in 1991.

15. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit older than you. I was going back and forth between the Atari 800 and the Commodore 64, but the 64 was more expensive. Radio Shack's TRS-80 was also too expensive. I really wanted the Apple II of course, but that was way out of my financial league. I was happy with the 800 however for quite a while.

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

Custom made AT286. I opted for the fancy amber monitor, and an extra 2MB of RAM. I was late to the PC revolution, so I started with a system with an internal HDD. The OS was DOS of course - IBM's DOS if memory serves.

But it had a wireless mouse, believe it or not... infrared so I needed to keep an open space between the top of the mouse and the receiver dongle thingy. WordPerfect of course.... in the days when the printed manual weighed more than laptops weigh today. This would have been about 1987, iirc.

17. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

They did! It was all part of an initiative to get kids interested in computing back in the 80's.

[​IMG]

And just like the Mac, this is the sound it made when you turned it on...
    http://www.8bs.com/sounds/bbc.wav

It was also the gaming platform of the era... behold 'Repton'... the best game ever made for the BBC:

[​IMG]

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

My cousin had the BBC. I remember it only having green text not colour.

19. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Apple PowerBook 170

A really terrific laptop (then).

20. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

ZX81 with a whopping 16kb expansion pack :D

Also owned a Acorn Electron (BBC Micro's baby brother) and a ZX Spectrum 48 (with brilliant rubber keys for playing Daley Thompson's Decathlon)

In my 1st year of University I was the very proud owner of a Amstrad 1512 with twin 5.25" floppy drives (no hard disk drive). By my final year I'd managed to upgrade to a x286 with a 20MB hard drive.

Have worked in and around IT ever since so have been reasonably up-to-date with x386, x486, Pentium, etc. PCs before moving across to Apple when moved to Intel.

Crazy to think I have a mobile phone now more powerful than all of that!

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

First computer I used - BBC Micro.
    First computer I bought - iMac G4. Still screaming today.

22. Brazzan, Feb 22, 2014

Brazzan macrumors member

Brazzan

Same here. With a very dodgy tape deck plugged in to allow me to play The Hobbit and Elite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. danny_w macrumors 601

Home built S100 bus computer with a Z80 processor and 4kb (KB!) of memory and 8" Shugart floppy drive. Similar (same electrical bus) as the MITS Altair 8800 and the IMSAI 8080 computers, but I was too broke (or too cheap) to buy the kits. Many years later I had an Osborne "luggable" for a short while.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'd say the tag team of an 800 and the Commodore 64 gave you a far better experience than the old Apple II's would have. My friend next door had a IIe at the same time, and even when he got a color monitor to compensate, the old 800XL still had the better games and programs.

...though he had Mystery House, and I didn't. Which did hurt a bit.

----------

You'll get a kick out of this...

25. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

My dad brought home a BBC Model B when I was 4. We kept that until 1991, when we got an Acorn A5000 - an amazing machine at the time! In 1996, when they stopped making computers in order to focus on microchips for low-powered embedded solutions (yep, I had an ARM processor before it was cool!), we went to the dark side and got a Windows 95 machine - which didn't seem any more advanced than RiscOS, 5 years earlier. Since then I've used most, if not all, the versions of Windows. At work I'm on 8.1.

I didn't go Apple until 2009, when I bought a smartphone that was better than an iPhone on paper. The built in navigation was so bad I had to ask a passer-by for directions! When I finally made it home, to find my friend going on and on about his magical iPhone, in that smug way Apple fans do, I grabbed it off him and said, see if it can do this! ...it immediately, intuitively, smoothly, perfectly did what my smartphone couldn't. I had Vista at home, and thought, if Apple makes phones so much better, what about computers?