What will you 3GS owners do in one year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

When the iPhone 4G rolls out, are you going to wait till Summer 2011, or sell your 3GS on Ebay/Craigslist to offset the upgrade penalty? Odds are, the new one will be a substantial improvement over the 3GS, a complete upgrade, so patience might pay off, but I guess if you can sell your 3GS for a good price, there's really nothing wrong with constantly upgrading.

2. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I think you've answered your own question. ;)

3. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

The resale market is huge. I covered the price of my 32gb phone with the sale of my 8gb 3g on release day. It even had a scratch on the screen and was advertised as such....guy still bought it for $325!! Some people are also elligable for the upgrade every year.

4. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I stole my brother's upgrade eligibility for the iPhone 3GS (he has unlimited texting, which put his monthly bill over $99). That way, when the newest iPhone comes out in 2010, my account will be upgrade eligible.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Some of us can afford to buy a new iPhone each and every year.

6. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I can afford it, I just did want to do it unnecessarily since it's just the video recording that I want it for.

But yea if you sold your 8GB iPhone 3G for $325, that's amazing, I can't sell my 16 GB for $299 (with all the accessories and case), but I figured that I should probably wait and just enjoy next year's delight when WWDC '10 comes around and I'll be all excited about the new features and the fact that I'll be able to buy them without any worries of prices (I might just try and sell my 3G then for like $150). I lived without video for an entire year, I'll try to do it again!

7. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

yeah i buy a dozen every year and just leave them along my daily path so i dont have to cary around anything in my pockets

i am crazy rich by the way i invented counter tops

8. Que macrumors 6502

Ridiculous question, it's been asked a thousand times on here.

It's only 3g owners that are thinking about what 3g s owners will do next year, 3g s owners are too happy with the phone to care about what's going to happen next year. Life is too short to deny yourself luxuries on the basis that next years luxury will be better.

For me I'll have my luxury this year, and next, and the one after that, and the one after that........

9. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Based on WHAT?

Some of us don't see the point in such speculation and will wait to see whether there is actually a true upgrade.

10. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I did the same, but used my mom's upgrade haha. So hopefully she doesn't want to use mine when it's up in March, because then I'll be set for 2010 summer :)

11. rman0726 macrumors regular

We still are nowhere close to the 3G speed potentials. For some reason, I don't think I'm going to be missing any speed by not having "4G"...

So we'll see what the actual upgrades are next year...

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do upgrade swap on the eligible lines. We have 5 lines in a family plan, two of which are iPhones. Good thing the RAZRs don't need to be upgraded yearly.

I doubt it. I predict it'll be a new case and just a couple of new features just like the 3G was over the original iPhone.

Original iPhone --> 3G = minor update, new case design
    3G --> 3G S = major update, same case
    3G S --> 2010 iPhone = minor update, new case design
    2010 iPhone --> 2011 iPhone = major update, same case

13. Bentov macrumors regular

sick and tired of hearing people bitch and moan.

Probably the same thing I did this past time....wait for another year. I bought the original iphone, skipped the 3g, and now I have the 3gs. On the other hand, if I just save like $50 a month I can get one and it isn't a big burden. People just don't know how to save. If you can't afford to save $50 a month for a phone that you really want, then guess what, you shouldn't be getting the damn phone. I laugh at all of the people who think they are entitled to get another phone, another laptop, another imac, another blah blah blah. No one owes you anything. Save up, getting a better job, marry rich, do something, but please, no complaining...:mad:

Ahhh, I feel better now. :D

14. megapopular macrumors 6502a

same thing I always do...

Use either my upgrade eligibility or my mother or fathers since I have them on my family plan and they don't ever upgrade phones... ah, life is good! I never have to pay anything more than the lowest upgrade price when I buy new phones. Then I can sell my old phones for money towards my phone bill. GET YOUR FAMILY INVOLVED, EVERYBODY!!

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol, I love how people THINK the 2010 iPhone is going to be a HUGE update...has Apple EVER given us a HUGE update, ugh no! No reason to start now, when they are selling over 1 million in three days.

Live for today, and get the 3G S, which is better than the 3G and First Gen.

But to answer your question, I'll sell it on eBay, as I've done with my first and sec gen iPhone's.

16. ShaKiaLovesNick macrumors newbie

To answer the first question I will do the same exact thing I did this time around. I sold my iPhone 3g (White 16GB) for $450 and added the difference to buy the 32 GB iPhone 3G S.

17. ShaKiaLovesNick macrumors newbie

LOL! You're abosultely right! If they give us a HUGE update what the heck are they gonna sale the following year? Think about it... If the first iPhone did EVERYTHING and ppl had no complaints what would Apple have put out the following year??

18. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

In one year, when my contract is over and the 4G iPhone is out, im going to drive right over the the verizon store, and pick it up.. Then i will have a phone that does everything, and it can ALSO MAKE PHONECALLS!

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Just got two 3GS phones thanks to my mom and mother in law both being upgrade eligible.

Me and my wife are eligible on March 10, 2010.

So I will upgrade again. :D

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True. Some of can afford it and still choose not to.

21. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That would be a great plan if you knew for certain there would be an iPhone on Verizon next year.

Verizon phones don't even use SIM cards and you think they are going to have the iPhone in 12 months?

There's no way in hell that iPhone will be released for CDMA so it's a no go on Verizon until they update their network in a pretty meaningful way.

Will next year's iPhone be better? Absoluitely! Will I wait a year without the current best iPhone to save $150 (the difference between what I sell my 3G for and what the 3GS cost me)? Hell no!

22. Rootus macrumors 6502

If it has some "gotta have it" feature and I can stomach the idea of extending my AT&T commitment by another year, I'd sell my 32GB 3GS for whatever the market will bear (guessing $400) and buy the new one.

Or, if it's just a ho-hum warmed-over upgrade like the 3G was, I'll wait a year and decide then.

Or maybe someone will finally make something that can outdo the iPhone. That's a long shot, but it could happen.

23. maceleven macrumors 6502

I just Sold my 3G for $280 2 days before the release of the 3Gspeed and paid full price for the 16GB Around $650 no new contract . I:apple: plan on doing it again if GOD willing im am still here !

24. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Research is our friend:

LTE aka 4G network on Verizon will use..................... SIM CARDS.

Would be a great time for them to start providing iPhones... even though I think that AT&T will still keep having iPhones, too.

Reading being fundamental as always, I present:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347071,00.asp

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Some will upgrade yet again with full price. Good for them

I figure people like myself who skipped 3GS will upgrade and some with 2G/3G will stay happy with their phones.

Then there will be the huge contingent who got 3GS that will cry foul like the 3G crowd did when the new phone is issued and the upgrade price is full unless you pay a certain amount.