What will you be using your iPad Pro for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheLondonFella, Nov 11, 2015.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

Myself, the iPad Pro is replacing my iPad 4 for everyday use:

Browsing the web

YouTube

Netflix

News

Etc ...

I may look for a drawing course, as this device has inspired me learn how to draw.

But basically, I will not be using it in any kind of professional/work capacity.

What will you be using your iPad Pro for?

2. appleforme macrumors member

Since I have an 15" MacBook Pro Retina for performing "work" functions such as using Microsoft Office and Adobe Lightroom, I'll primarily be using my iPad Pro for media consumption. This includes browsing the internet, news reader apps and email.

3. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

I plan to use mine for video and music editing among other things. Obviously browsing the web and media, too.

4. yegon macrumors 68020

Purely for browsing and entertainment, mainly at work where I get long breaks. It fits in the same work bag I currently carry my Air 2 in, so rock and roll. Will appreciate the better speakers as I tote my iPad all over the house with me, listening to podcasts while performing mind numbing tasks.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Everybody knows that people will use this new larger iPad as their day to day camera. :D It will be hilarious.

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Drawing and note-taking. I've never found the iPad to be very useful as a computing device, but I carry a Surface Pro 1 everywhere for those two functions and it's both overkill (full Windows to run Sketchbook and OneNote) and not a great pen experience. I'm willing to accept what I see as an OS downgrade for superior digitizer performance.

7. d28z28 Suspended

d28z28

Well I WAS planning on using mine for illustration - but since the Apple Pencil isn't going to come with it on Friday - I have absolutely no idea....

Just kidding - waiting an extra week won't be that bad. (That's what I tell myself outwardly - on the inside I've died inside)

8. bugelrex macrumors regular

What issues did you have with the pen (besides edge accuracy) SP1 uses Wacom which is considered "the best"

9. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Wacom's Cintiq digitizers are considered the best, their Penabled tech sold to 3rd parties (SP1/2, Note) is only considered better than the alternative in the mobile space (N-trig). I have a Cintiq at home so I'm familiar with the performance characteristics of both digitizers.

The SP1/2 uses an older digitizer generation which has "looser" feeling pressure sensitivity, no tilt, and poor linearity (wobble at low stroke speed). The linearity and pressure are better than N-trig (even SP4 version), but not comparable to the Cintiq. Latency is also not great with Wacom devices in general, even the expensive ones.

10. Milsy macrumors newbie

I'll tell you what I won't be doing............ any drawing or note taking..................for 3-4 weeks.......seething I am.....:mad:

11. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Not 100% sure that I'll buy one but if I do, mainly music creation and recording (with the connectivity help from a Dock).

12. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

personal use, but in my home office.

in no particular preference.....

comms - email, skype, internet
    pages/numbers
    diary and scheduler
    drawing/sketching

wont be used for games or movies or music

Because i work from home im trying to limit my technical gadgetry in my life. so hopefully this will stay in my office during office hours. our of hours i wont use it much. i dont own a phone either. so quite a peaceful existence really.

13. Tech198 macrumors G4

neat it will help ME decide to :D I'm coming from an Air 2, so if i did get a 'Pro' it be much the same. I guess Games.

Everything but that last one can be done now, only on a bigger screen.

I can't draw for crap, and not about to learn anytime soon.

14. Macalway macrumors 68000

The usual iPad stuff. Just bigger and faster.

15. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

mind you, i will be testing out my 'other' new gadget with it i specially bought.....

spec.jpg

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Correct. I have a Surface Pro (original) with Wacom digitizer and hate drawing on it. It flakes out around the edges, the parallax is rather bad, and palm rejection is not all that great either. No tilt support like my ancient Intuos 2 either.

I'm so excited to use Pro + Pencil for drawing, illustration, and painting. Now to suppress my frustration at the fact that the device is ready but the reason I'm buying the device (Pencil) isn't going to show up until Nov 20-30. Grrrr.

17. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

If I do get the iPad Pro it will only be with the pencil. Not going to buy the iPad Pro and regret why I bought an oversized iPad. If the Pencil will only be in stock at the end of the month then I will only get the iPad Pro later. However I need to go to the store and try out the IPad Pro first.

It will not be easy to carry a notebook sized iPad around.

Will there be a Microsoft Office for iPad Pro?

18. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

So basically they call it pro but it's a toy... I'm buying one for my wife so she can play threes and scrabble, and surf the web...

19. BrettJDeriso macrumors regular

Well... Until my pencil arrives next week, I guess I'll be using it as a backing board while I continue drawing on paper, LOL :D

20. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

for internet browsing and the odd game. can see my rMBP getting very little use from now on

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yeah - But the schumks @ MS have decided that the Pro is too much like a laptop and it won't be free (for basic stuff) like it is on the other iPads/iPhones

22. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Everything I did on iPad Mini 4 + drawing when I get bored.

Netflix, Music, Some Excel, NEWS, mindless gaming, mitigating boredom, reading books, reading stuff while having morning coffee...you get the picture.

23. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Sketching interfaces
    Taking notes
    Quick communication while on my Mac and don't want to lose my place but need to reply to someone
    Media consumption
    Games? It might be too big for games.
    Reading for sure, but maybe in a holder.. when my Air slipped and hit me in the face it was no big deal - this thing might break my nose.
    Def. marking up screen shots and other things like that.

24. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Desert Golfing - Nothing more. :)

Actually, Foreflight with X-Plane & Prepar3d will be EPIC on this screen size

25. jeepik macrumors regular