Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
I posted a similar question before, but i wanted to make this one a little more broad and to the point.
I have an old iphone 4 (not a current phone being used just a phone i use for pictures and stuff )
But i noticed a burn plasticy smell the other day that happens only while it was charging. The phone hasnt turned off and it still worked fine. It actually was charging pretty quick. 4-5 days later It happened again and the 2nd time the smell sort of lingered alittle more than before. I turned the phone off as a precaution and havent turned it back on since. The outlet where it had been charging at still has a bit of the smell aswell.. It was being charged with a plastic cord charger i got at the conveince store...
What would be the reason for the smell and is my data/personal info from the phone safe?
Thankyou again, xx

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I posted a similar question before, but i wanted to make this one a little more broad and to the point.
I have an old iphone 4 (not a current phone being used just a phone i use for pictures and stuff )
But i noticed a burn plasticy smell the other day that happens only while it was charging. The phone hasnt turned off and it still worked fine. It actually was charging pretty quick. 4-5 days later It happened again and the 2nd time the smell sort of lingered alittle more than before. I turned the phone off as a precaution and havent turned it back on since. The outlet where it had been charging at still has a bit of the smell aswell.. It was being charged with a plastic cord charger i got at the conveince store...
What would be the reason for the smell and is my data/personal info from the phone safe?
Thankyou again, xx

Are you able to test with an official cable? This cable could be the fault here.

Reactions: AllieRosariox

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Thankyou again, xx

Sounds like you have a wiring problem, but here are some possible causes.
  • Your home / apt has a short in the wiring
  • Your AC adapter has a short
  • Your lighting cable has a short
Is it an an official Apple AC adapter or was it made by an Apple certified vendor? ARE YOU POSITIVE? Most of these fires are caused by cheap 3rd party or knock off / imitation AC adapters. If the AC adapter seems ok, I would suspect the house / apt wiring. You might want an electrician to come out ASAP.

3rd though unlikely is the charging lightning cable has a short. Is it frayed or kinked? Any exposed wires, metal, insulation or discoloration?

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Is it an an official Apple AC adapter or was it made by an Apple certified vendor? ARE YOU POSITIVE? Most of these fires are caused by cheap 3rd party or knock off / imitation AC adapters. If the AC adapter seems ok, I would suspect the house / apt wiring. You might want an electrician to come out ASAP.

3rd though unlikely is the charging lightning cable has a short. Is it frayed or kinked? Any exposed wires, metal, insulation or discoloration?

Speculating without much for facts, my money would be on the AC adapter. If I'm right, I'd dispose of it (or better, destroy it) immediately. The fire risk is too great.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I doubt its wiring in the house, because then you should get a similar smell when you charge other devices on that outlet. But OP is saying its only the iPhone 4, this occurs with.

Op didn’t say they charged other devices in that outlet. That’s an assumption.
[doublepost=1515543591][/doublepost]
Speculating without much for facts, my money would be on the AC adapter. If I'm right, I'd dispose of it (or better, destroy it) immediately. The fire risk is too great.

Without a fuse or limiter it’s possible the AC adapter has damaged the wiring. I’m only fixated on the wiring because OP mentioned a lingering smell near the outlet and not the AC charger itself.

Having had a similar problem in my early 1900s home when I had the wiring redone there were scorch marks on the wires and behind the wall.

OP did however say it was a chap convinance Store charger. And it’s possible the charger has create a deeper problem in the wiring.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Without a fuse or limiter it’s possible the AC adapter has damaged the wiring. I’m only fixated on the wiring because OP mentioned a lingering smell near the outlet and not the AC charger itself.

Having had a similar problem in my early 1900s home when I had the wiring redone there were scorch marks on the wires and behind the wall.

OP did however say it was a chap convinance Store charger. And it’s possible the charger has create a deeper problem in the wiring.

I didn't mean to disagree. I think mentioning the mains wiring is obligatory. I'd still put my money on a cheap, aftermarket, defective AC adapter. :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I didn't mean to disagree. I think mentioning the mains wiring is obligatory. I'd still put my money on a cheap, aftermarket, defective AC adapter. :)

I agree. Amazon, ebay, and other markets are flooded with cheap imitation Apple AC adaptors and cables. It's got to the point where I advise people around me that if you have an Apple AC adaptor, and you didn't personally buy it from the Apple store (or took it out of a brand new, sealed iDevice box), then you're better off throwing it away, and buying a known genuine charger from the Apple Store (NOT Amazon or eBay or any other store, bricks and mortar or not).

Belkin and Anker do make good chargers, I'm talking about the chargers that are made to look like Apple originals. The imitation chargers are basically fire hazards, and you risk frying an $500 phone to save $10.

Also for cables, the market is flooded with fake iPhone cables that are frankly ******. Again, I recommend people throw away any cable that didn't come direct from an Apple store. Anker braided cables are the best replacements, and I prefer them to Apple's cables (and they're less than half the price).

I've been known to go to an office, do an IT inventory, and as part of that inventory, I throw away every iDevice charger I see, and every iDevice cable I can find. I tell the staff they failed the electrical safety test and to put in an order for a bunch of Anker cables / Anker chargers / Apple Store chargers.

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your response and input! Appreciate it greatly! The charger is not an offical apple cable... it is a $6 charger i got at walgreens a while back... although i do use the offical apple usb wall adapter.. which was very hot when i pulled it out)...the cable is not charred or kinked, it is also not exposing any wires or anything... the cord is plastic... i have had about 3-4 other occourences ( the phone was no where near the room) that the smell has seeped out of that specific outlet.. from plugging in other things on other outlets in the same room..i never had this smell problem until i plugged in the iphone though.... ever since that even when i switch on my ceiling fan for a little while i get the exact same smell.. the outlet does not look burnt or anything... although i did used to plug my hair dryer/straightner into that outlet alot for a prolonged time a while back... and i did have the cover to that specific outlet pull off many times when i used to yank out the plug to my hair straightner.....
Do you think the phone itself is safe to turn back on and does not have any problems? Or could this situation have fried the battery or something?
[doublepost=1515553043][/doublepost]This is a picture of the

This is a picture of the cord that was being used...

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_215531_130.jpg
    IMG_20180109_215531_130.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 869

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you so much for your response and input! Appreciate it greatly! The charger is not an offical apple cable... it is a $6 charger i got at walgreens a while back... although i do use the offical apple usb wall adapter.. which was very hot when i pulled it out)...the cable is not charred or kinked, it is also not exposing any wires or anything... the cord is plastic... i have had about 3-4 other occourences ( the phone was no where near the room) that the smell has seeped out of that specific outlet.. from plugging in other things on other outlets in the same room..i never had this smell problem until i plugged in the iphone though.... ever since that even when i switch on my ceiling fan for a little while i get the exact same smell.. the outlet does not look burnt or anything... although i did used to plug my hair dryer/straightner into that outlet alot for a prolonged time a while back... and i did have the cover to that specific outlet pull off many times when i used to yank out the plug to my hair straightner.....
Do you think the phone itself is safe to turn back on and does not have any problems? Or could this situation have fried the battery or something?

I think your phone is fine. I think the problem is the plug. A hair dryer can pull 1800 watts and a curler can pull another 200... its possible your wiring was never intended for that sort of current. using a cheap charger doesn't help and i would dump it and only use official apple chargers and cables.

that said i think that plug is a hazard snd you shouldn't put anything in there until you can have it looked at.

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your response!! It is greatly appreciated... the cord itself is a plastic cord and i was using the offical apple usb wall adapter.. the adapter was very hot when i pulled it out though.. is it possible this whole problem/smell could have been created from the charger cord itself? I have never had any problems with any other chargers in my room or house... ever since the iphone incident i have had 3-4 other occourences that the smell actually seeps out of that outlet when i plug in other things in other outlets in the same room.. (phone is nowhere near the room).... do you think the iphone itself is okay and has not been somehow damaged? Or caused any problem with battery? (I turned it off and have not turned on since) i attached a picture of the cord i was using...

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_215531_130.jpg
    IMG_20180109_215531_130.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 359

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you so much for your response!! It is greatly appreciated... the cord itself is a plastic cord and i was using the offical apple usb wall adapter.. the adapter was very hot when i pulled it out though.. is it possible this whole problem/smell could have been created from the charger cord itself? I have never had any problems with any other chargers in my room or house... ever since the iphone incident i have had 3-4 other occourences that the smell actually seeps out of that outlet when i plug in other things in other outlets in the same room.. (phone is nowhere near the room).... do you think the iphone itself is okay and has not been somehow damaged? Or caused any problem with battery? (I turned it off and have not turned on since) i attached a picture of the cord i was using...

the phone is probably ok.... the cord also looks ok...

there is a chance the adapter damaged the outlet or the outlet damaged the adapter... but something is wrong with the outlet now... please be careful

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
I think your phone is fine. I think the problem is the plug. A hair dryer can pull 1800 watts and a curler can pull another 200... its possible your wiring was never intended for that sort of current. using a cheap charger doesn't help and i would dump it and only use official apple chargers and cables.

that said i think that plug is a hazard snd you shouldn't put anything in there until you can have it looked at.

Thank you again! I will definetley dispose of that cable.. and invest in an offical apple charger cord and charge the phone out of my room until i find out more behind this problem.... i really do hope the phone is fine... it has very important information which i do not have extra copies of.. could the smell somehow have traveled up the cable and unto the phone? Since the phone itself has a slight (not heavy) smell of it?...
[doublepost=1515555505][/doublepost]

there is a chance the adapter damaged the outlet or the outlet damaged the adapter... but something is wrong with the outlet now... please be careful
Thank you again for everything! Has definetley been a huge help figuring this all out.. i will definetley keep away from the outlet and take precautions.. i have covered the outlet with plastic covers (the ones used to baby proof) and will monitor the situation closely
[doublepost=1515555741][/doublepost]
Are you able to test with an official cable? This cable could be the fault here.

I will be investing on an offical cable...
I was going to try the problematic cable in the same outlet again to see if it still smelled.. this time without plugging in the phone.. although based on the other responses that could be a fire hazard and very dangerous.. out of all my electronics the iphone 4 cable is the only cable i own that is not the original one...

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you again! I will definetley dispose of that cable.. and invest in an offical apple charger cord and charge the phone out of my room until i find out more behind this problem.... i really do hope the phone is fine... it has very important information which i do not have extra copies of.. could the smell somehow have traveled up the cable and unto the phone? Since the phone itself has a slight (not heavy) smell of it?...
[doublepost=1515555505][/doublepost]
Thank you again for everything! Has definetley been a huge help figuring this all out.. i will definetley keep away from the outlet and take precautions.. i have covered the outlet with plastic covers (the ones used to baby proof) and will monitor the situation closely
[doublepost=1515555741][/doublepost]

I will be investing on an offical cable...
I was going to try the problematic cable in the same outlet again to see if it still smelled.. this time without plugging in the phone.. although based on the other responses that could be a fire hazard and very dangerous.. out of all my electronics the iphone 4 cable is the only cable i own that is not the original one...

Please use iTunes to back your phone up incase something happens to it.

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
The plug you are using wasn't one of those that Apple recalled was it? If not I think it is the cable. The cable sounds like it is causing too much resistance, thus causing heat. Replace the cable.
Not that i know of... i am not sure honestly.. either way i'm about to toss it in the trash. it's caused alot of havoc. I'm investing in a legit apple cable. Definetley learned my lesson using these cheap cables.
[doublepost=1515563120][/doublepost]
The plug you are using wasn't one of those that Apple recalled was it? If not I think it is the cable. The cable sounds like it is causing too much resistance, thus causing heat. Replace the cable.

Thank you very much for your input and help! Appreciate it!
[doublepost=1515563557][/doublepost]
Please use iTunes to back your phone up incase something happens to it.

I think i will take a shot and turn on the phone tommorow just to put my mind at ease that everything is well with it then turn it back off to not waste the batt since i won't have the new charger in yet.. but as soon as i get a new cord in, i will definetley do the itunes. I actually havent really ever done itunes or anything before.. (not the most tech savy when it comes to that type of stuff. i just usually use the phone and thats all) itunes backs up photos and texts as well... right?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Sorry but house wiring would be the last thing I would suspect. The charger block and drugstore cable should be tossed and replaced with reputable ones. It could be the iPhone battery itself as it is got to be getting old and tired.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Sorry but house wiring would be the last thing I would suspect. The charger block and drugstore cable should be tossed and replaced with reputable ones. It could be the iPhone battery itself as it is got to be getting old and tired.

That's the great thing about a discussion forum. OP can read and evaluate everyones thoughts on a subject and make their own decision on what to do. Looks like we disagree. I hope OP makes the smart choice.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That's the great thing about a discussion forum. OP can read and evaluate everyones thoughts on a subject and make their own decision on what to do. Looks like we disagree. I hope OP makes the smart choice.

If I were the OP I would replace the charger and cable first, BEFORE I called an electrician and had to pay $150 for their visit, but that is just me.

DDDamask

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
I agree. Amazon, ebay, and other markets are flooded with cheap imitation Apple AC adaptors and cables. It's got to the point where I advise people around me that if you have an Apple AC adaptor, and you didn't personally buy it from the Apple store (or took it out of a brand new, sealed iDevice box), then you're better off throwing it away, and buying a known genuine charger from the Apple Store (NOT Amazon or eBay or any other store, bricks and mortar or not).

Belkin and Anker do make good chargers, I'm talking about the chargers that are made to look like Apple originals. The imitation chargers are basically fire hazards, and you risk frying an $500 phone to save $10.

Also for cables, the market is flooded with fake iPhone cables that are frankly ******. Again, I recommend people throw away any cable that didn't come direct from an Apple store. Anker braided cables are the best replacements, and I prefer them to Apple's cables (and they're less than half the price).

I've been known to go to an office, do an IT inventory, and as part of that inventory, I throw away every iDevice charger I see, and every iDevice cable I can find. I tell the staff they failed the electrical safety test and to put in an order for a bunch of Anker cables / Anker chargers / Apple Store chargers.

I just used a 3rd party PD adaptor and 3rd party cable charger few days ago, and it's such a hard lesson that my iPad Pro 2nd Gen immediately gave burning plastic smell, and the cable is super hot at the end close to iPad. Then the iPad doesn't charge or sync at all with a good cable, the burning smell also comes from the 3rd party cable and the 3rd party cable stops working ever since.

$599 to repair the iPad Pro, the 3rd party cable's seller finally burdens the cost of repairing my device.

When I was at Apple store, I also asked them to test the 3rd party power adaptor on their device and it seems alright when they use it with their genuine USB-c to USB-c cable, so I also order a genuine USB-c to USB-c cable for the 3rd party adaptor. It's charging my iPhone 11 right now and it seems fine. So I guess it's the cable's issue.

A tips for those who want to get a 3rd party accessories: when using 3rd party cable, test it with genuine adaptor; when using 3rd party adaptor, test it with genuine cable. That will help you identify whose fault it is when things happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.