What would cause you to leave iPhone for Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brianric, Sep 14, 2016.

1. brianric macrumors regular

I can put up with no headphone jack. There's very little that Apple can do on their design to switch to Android except one, and that's eliminating the physical connection for charging and data. I could see Apple going to a totally wireless setup, where you would have to use iCloud to backup or restore your phone. Thanks but no thanks, I'm not about ready to fork more money over to Apple for a 50 or 200 GB data plan.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Androids will eventually ditch the headphone jack too.

3. blacksunset macrumors member

Id move if Samsung were able to blow up my phone

4. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

If the Note 7 ran iOS and didn't explode.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Reducing local storage. For a while it looked like everything was going to get pushed to the cloud and local storage was going to fall by the wayside. I'm very happy about the current storage tiers.

7. unglued macrumors member

What is Android? kidding I would never leave iPhone unless security got worse.

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not changing the look of the phone next year and giving us another iteration of the 6 series would be enough to have me start looking at other options.

I don't like the looks of the 6 series although I have a 6s+. I'm skipping the 7 because it doubled down on the fugly camera bump.

I'm not tied to Apple and I hate Android so I'd be looking for any Windows Mobile options if they still exist.

10. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Android OS to get better. The phones are already pretty good, better than iPhone. It's the OS keeping me away.

11. rawlus macrumors 6502

Android is too Wild West for me. Too much distance between the hardware and how the hardware manufacturers choose to implement the software. It's the same issue with PC's for me. I want something that works more like an appliance since the device and the software it's running is a means to an end for me. An ecosystem of hardware and software designed together works better for me than picking from an array of random hardware/software combinations.

I've used android systems before, they never felt designed together to me... plus I use Mac for work and play so buying into the ecosystem is the most convenient/least hassle... i can't even imagine what it would take to make me switch as each of the last several phones have performed well and done what they needed to do, which in the end is all that matters... I don't feel an urge to explore other brands/platforms that also do the same things my iPhone does... I'm not chasing specs or who has the most Ram or who has the best camera by a small margin...

So it would take a truly compelling reason to switch, and that would have to come from the android side to sway me to their platform and all the hassle that would entail in doing so (media, music, backup, syncing, UX, peripherals, cables, etc) it would have to be an outstanding reason to go through all that effort to undo the ecosystem I have for a brand new ecosystem that I now at the outset is not going to work as efficiently with the rest of my devices, or require a humongous amount of effort and change management on my part to learn new ways of doing the same things.

12. nav92 macrumors member

nav92

Seamless syncing between my Mac and iPad with Android phone?
    In addition to iPhones being pretty capable phones in their own regard, they are such integral part of Apple's ecosystem that I am happily "stuck" in that garden for the foreseeable future.

13. megagene macrumors member

megagene

Pretty much anything. I switch between the two all the time. I like both for different reasons.

14. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Siri not becoming better than Google.
    Navigation not becoming better than Google nav.
    Apple adding bloatware.

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Nada. I've played with Android and it's too clunky for me. It reminds me of Windows and it's need to over complicate things.

Apple does need to improve Maps still. Much better but a ways off from what Google maps is.

16. g35 macrumors 6502a

I'd happily switch to Android if Google opened up a physical storefront in my metro area, which has 6 Apple Stores, where you could walk in with a problem phone and walk out with a replacement in 1 hour. I suppose this would apply to Nexus phones only but I like Nexus anyway so that would be fine. Or some sort of North America-wide warranty service that sends out a replacement phone with a return box so that I could replace my problem phone with no downtime.

Failing that, a thin 4.3 - 4.7" phone with 24 hours of battery life under heavy use (max brightness, GPS use, audio playing in background, lots of camera use) would be a dream and I'd probably switch just for that.

17. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

If I didn't do it with this update then I guess I'll never leave.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

At this point I can't see myself leaving Apple. I even tried an S7 edge out alongside my 6S plus for a month. I ended up selling the edge and the 7 plus is pre-ordered. I have too many apple products now and I'm too invested in the ecosystem to move to an android phone. Back in 2012 I went over to android after my iPhone 4 was stolen. Back then it was just a phone so switching wasn't a big deal. Now it's an ecosystem.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I might go to android if the 2017 4.7" iphone doesn't have OLED display.

I wasn't very pleased with the 3.5" jack going this year, but I can adapt.

20. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Nothing really. I go back and forth between the two often.

21. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Nothing ever. My entire life is iCloud and Apple and has been since 1992. It just works.

22. MrBukey macrumors regular

^^^^ This.... I was going to write my own reply, but then I read this. It sums up what I was going to say. The only difference is that I manage/admin/engineer Windows-based solutions for work, but it's Mac all the way for personal devices....

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Apple opening their ecosystem so it is cross platform. I am too dependent on iMessage, FaceTime, icloud photo sharing with shared photo streams, iTunes purchases.

24. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

If Apple bricked every iPhone and never made another one.