What would you have done if you found the iPhone HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kingcodez, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Just put your self in "that dude's" shoes.
    You are buzzin' you go take a leak, get back, and there's an object on a bar stool. Your buddy is telling a joke, your mind isn't really focused, pick up the phone, see it's the GPowell's, blah blah it goes dead.

Let's just skip the bar scene, and start off from when you wake up with a headache, and no pants on.

After tinkering with it, and deciding that it's bricked, I probably would've taken pictures of it, made a youtube video of it, gave the first impressions, review, and ect.

I think I would've emailed the SJob's saying I HAVE YOUR PHONE, but I doubt that'd work. Maby a call to Apple, or their tech support (lol) to get in contact with the big dogs.

It's a pretty good barganing chip, but since I replied soon, and didn't sell it to the Giz, I'd try to negotiate a hefty apple gift certificate, or a pile of macbooks for the return of the phone. As a reward of course... Or a job.

Then a few days later, throw all that stuff on the net. Just to get people at MR to go nuts and not lose hope lol.

What would you have done?

FWIW I think Jesus would've unbricked the phone, and used it. If it worked I totally would've used it. Or sold it on ebay as a 'custom handmade phone' lol.

2. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

3. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Like anyone is going to admit they would have kept it or tried to profit off of it ...which I am quite sure at least half of the people here would. It's human nature. When in a public setting most people will say what they know is expected so they will be accepted...often some of the loudest protesters will be the ones doing the worst things in private.

And of the ones who gave it back at least half of them would be expecting some reward and come here posting about how rude Apple is for not giving them a new Mac Pro for turning it in.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    dropped it off at the TWIT studio for net cast on an episode of TECH GUY:eek: and then personally driven to Cupertino and handed it to Steve at Apple:cool:
    :apple:

5. andromedaan macrumors member

andromedaan

I would 've called Apple, and told 'em that I would gladly give it back, in return I want an 10 minute interview with steve Jobs, and nobody would ever know about the next iphone.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

well since it it was in a disguise 3g case i would of first turned it on and see if i could find the name of the person. then since i did not know it was a prototype(as i said it was in disguise)i would of left it at the bar for 24 hrs and then it would me mine if no one picked it up . then once i went home to play with it i would of realized and seen it was a super cool iphone. once i herd and iphone was missing i would of gave it back to apple on one condition. i want one iphone when it is released in june, and a new 3g ipad and, a new mac book. nah jk just a new iphone im not that ignorant.:D

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'd email Steve with an included photo of hid iPhone and as what he would like me to do with it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd love to sell it for a profit, but realistically I'd contact apple and returned it.

I would have tried to negotiate a "finder's Fee" however :)

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I suppose I would have left it with the bartender if I couldn't find the owner.

10. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Living in Florida, I'd have just held onto it.

11. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Settings > Mail > Accounts "ex-employee@apple.com"

I would have e-mailed that address with a description of what I found and where.

1. I would not trust an employee of said bar, to get it back to the correct person. I would take it upon myself.

2. If they e-mailed me, I would ask for the person to call me on the phone, proving they know the number.

3. I probably wouldn't have even tinkered with it... unless I noticed something visually "off" or different about it.

4. If I didn't hear from them after 24 hours, I would have been inclined to tinker with it, just to see if there were any markings of ownership (ie - engraving, label maker tag, etc.).

If and only if at this point I have figured out what it is, I would be taking pictures and video and disassembling it. Then I would contact Apple, via the PR department and explain the situation. I would not expect anything, as a reward, though I may mention in passing that a tour of Apple's Campus and day-to-day workings would be fun :)

I would not, however, pull any of the check-book journalism... that's just weak.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does your location have to do with your moral dilemmas?

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Nothing to do with morals, but perhaps everything to do with legalities.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I would have contacted people about it. Be it his friends, himself, or through Facebook.

I just don't like the idea of leaving it at the bar.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I wouldn't have known it was an HD. It would have been given to the bartender as soon as it was found. You KNOW dude was back there looking for it as soon as he realized he didn't have it. I would have been and I only have a lowly 3GS. :D

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I would have requested Jobs fly me out to Apple on one of his private jets for a private tour of the Apple campus ;)

17. phrint macrumors 6502

If I would have found it (not stolen it like some outlets are reporting), I would have turned it on and looked to see who's it was. Then I would do a double-take when I saw the front facing camera. Then I would take it out of the case and blew a wad in my pants. Then I would have played with it some more. Finally, I would have contacted Gizmodo and sold it to them for $10,000.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hit Airplane mode and prevent self destruction.

19. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I would have tried to return it. If not picked up I would have taken tons of pictures/videos/reviews then contacted apple to come pick it up. Then I would tell them that I was gonna dump the above photos, etc. onto the net right after the Keynote before the other media outlets got to put there hands on. If they said no, id ask for recurring WWDC passes.

20. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Yeah I totally would've used it to meet Leo. I had the chance to meet him when he came to China but I missed out.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

22. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Oh not even close, I'm keeping that bad boy for ever and ever, money can't replace having a sick prototype iPhone, even if it didn't function. Maybe I'd sell it a few years from now but I think it's a collector's item.

23. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Try to turn it on. Then from there set it down slowly on a table. Light a joint, smoke it. Stare at the phone, think. Keep smoking. Keep thinking.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, that would be cool. I'd probably have sent sjobs a pic of the new iPhone with a short message saying that I wasn't planning on sharing the news with anyone but that I'd love a 27" iMac with a matching 64GB iPad. Just as more of an FYI than anything. :)