What's my iPad 2 worth?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vulcan4770, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Vulcan4770, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

Vulcan4770 macrumors member

Vulcan4770

I've had my iPad 2 16gb wifi on Craigslist for days and haven't gotten any bites, there is only me and another guy that have iPads listed. I have researched the prices on eBay, amazon etc.

Mine has no scratches on back and has had a screen protector on front since day 1. So the glass is perfect. I also bundled these with it.

1 new clear screen protector.
    Orange smart cover
    Speck Candyshell Wrap
    Casecrown Omni

What do you think the price point should be at?

***** sold for 420 on Craigslist on March 2nd****++

2. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

I sold my 16GB Wi-Fi yesterday for $375.

It was in mint condition, with a rear protective film, clean screen.

Also included a Incase Book Jacket Classic and two screen films.

If you're including all those cases, you could try $400.

Or sell the iPad w/ one case on craigslist then sell the other cases on eBay, which is what I'm doing with my Pad & Quill Octavo.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Best Buy dropping $50 sure aintt helping on these sales.

4. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Next week it could be worth $100 less. Sell while you can.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Pricing can be very dependent on location and how many buyers are out there looking for one. No responses means your price is too high. What are you asking?

Cut the price $25 every other day until you start getting bites. It should go quick at $350 to $375.

I assume you're not including the "value" of those cases in your price? Few buyers have any interest in even one case for any longer than it takes for them to go choose the one they prefer. Usually it's better to sell cases separately.

----------

Wait 'til Apple puts everything on clearance, cutting $100 off list price if they do the same thing as last year's announcement-day price cut. Add in a flood of people posting to CL and eBay.

Sure, Apple may not do the same thing again, but if they do...

6. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

I really want to avoid that.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah that could be a possibility which would hurt the resale value of current Pads.

8. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I sold mine for 375. You better sell it ASAP before people find out about iPad 3 or the fact that its 449 at best buy. In a couple weeks your iPad 2 will lose about $100 in value. ppl will be able to get a brand new one from apple for 399 at the most, maybe even 299 - they could drop the price of ipad2 a lot

sell that ****!!

9. Icarus73 macrumors regular

I sold mine a week ago for $500. 16gb verizon white. few scratches on the back and nothing on the screen. didn't include any accessories.

i kind of feel bad for the guy...nah, never mind.

10. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

Yea I really want it off my hands now.

11. kelly2012 macrumors newbie

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

13. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Don't freak out. Sell it when you are ready. The price different is not going to be that huge. You can still get around $300 for a 16gb Wifi iPad 1. Selling it too early when you use it everyday can leave you without a device for a longtime if they're are iPad 3 shortages which I belive there will be.

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I was hoping to sell mine and then upgrade, but unfortunatley I am relying on my iPad for almost 100% of my schoolwork right now, and even two days without one would mess me up pretty good. I have my textbooks/required readings on it, and I check in with blackboard on the iPad as well. Not a huge deal, but depending on how crazy iPad 3 is I was hoping to sell and buy like you guys are talking about.

15. Holoshed macrumors regular

I got freaking lucky but I tend to follow my gut, my gut told me to sell on the 25th so I tried a couple of days on craigslist fighting off the 350 offers, some even offering 250 (hah).

I stuck to my guns and sure enough I sold it on the night before the announcement for 400.00 cash. I did include a smart cover (grey) and a zagg invisible shield front and back pack (back was applied already). The guy was no bs, texted me and said he wanted it. We met and the rest is history.

Fast forward to the next day after I sell it, they send out the invites. I have to admit I was proud of myself for selling it THE NIGHT before it literally loses value.

16. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Ebay prices are already dropping. Low 500s. I saw one sell for $400 a 64gb, ipad 2 3g model. Eek.

Mine has 3 days left, it was up to $300 then some guy backed out now it's back down to $20. :(

17. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

And on top of this, cuts and fees from eBay and PayPal

18. apatel87 macrumors regular

I sold my 16gb black for $440 with a $5 casecrown case. I had the box and all accessories. I am not sure if thatmade a difference.

19. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

just sold my 64 gig iPad 2 for 600 cash. no scratches on it at all. used since sept. no cases or anything. pretty good price i think since it will be that price new in less then a week.

20. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Just listed my White 16gb Verizon model.... I hope I can get $450....

21. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I don't think Craigslist is the best place to sell. I would try eBay.

22. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

In the time you've already taken it's already lost $20. It will continue to lose $20 a day, every day, then the day ipad 3 comes out you'll be holding a beer mat.

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

YOU waited too long.

Used iPads have flooded the market. With only days before the introduction of the new iPad, millions of used ones are on sale.

What price were you asking on Craig's List? If you got no replies, I would take it as a hint that you are asking too much! Every day you wait you are decreasing the value even more.

Sorry but a simple dose of reality:(

24. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

You've had it on there for days?!?! It should have been on there for at least two weeks by now. We all knew the announcement was March 7. That's an advantage of being a part of this community. You can use that information to your advantage and beat the market.

Now you're no better than all of those schmoes out there who are paying $500 for a used 16GB wifi.

I'll chop off another $50 if I were you and see if someone bites.

25. deeddawg, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

Bad advice, it's way late to try ebay. By the time it's sold and delivered, all the news will be covering the new ipad to be announced on Wednesday. Buyer simply claims "not as described" and sends it back. With craigslist it's sold and done beforehand if you price it right.

With that said, on a 16GB wifi device it may not be worth being without one for the difference in what you'll get for it if you wait a few weeks post launch. What you don't want to do is sell in the first couple weeks post-launch as you'll be selling into an oversupply situation. As noted above, the ipad1 16GB wifi is still fetching mid to high $200's on average, so it isn't like your ipad2 will be worthless.

Were you selling a top end unit though, you'd be in a different position as the price changes on those seem to be a lot higher in absolute terms than on the low end models. Pricing on 64GB 3G units is a lot less right now than it was two weeks ago.