Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple seeded the first beta of iOS 10.2 to developers this afternoon, marking the second major update to the iOS 10 operating system. While iOS 10.2 doesn't include a single main feature like the Portrait mode that was introduced in iOS 10.1, it does include several smaller features.

There are a bunch of new emoji that were first introduced in Unicode 9, plus there's a new video widget and handy new settings for preserving your camera preferences when taking a photo. For a full overview of the new features, make sure to check out our video.

Emoji - Unicode 9 emoji are included in iOS 10.2. Some of the new emoji include clown face, drooling face, selfie, fox face, owl, shark, butterfly, avocado, pancakes, croissant, and more. There are more than a hundred new emoji, including several profession emoji available in both male and female genders, such as firefighter, mechanic, lawyer, doctor, scientist, and more. Many existing emoji have also seen significant redesigns.

ios102emoji.jpg

Wallpapers - There are new wallpapers in iOS 10.2, which use the same graphics that were shown off in iPhone 7 marketing materials.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What's New in iOS 10.2 Beta 1: Unicode 9 Emoji, Preserve Settings for Camera, Videos Widget, Wallpapers and More

Reactions: jjm3

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I think it's safe to say that iOS 10.2 is the update that we were waiting for. So far it runs absolutely great on my iPhone 7. It's still in beta though, curious how it will evolve. :)

Reactions: jjm3

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009
Apple under Timmy and Jony:

1) Emojis and Messages effects to chase mainstream public*
2) "Pro" products with mediocre enhancements, but PRO pricing
3) The pursuit of margins, margins, and more margins

*I'm not saying emojis and messages effects are bad things; I use them all the time. Or that it's bad to chase mainstream public. But it's sad to see all this be a priority over other things that imo can push innovation and the boundaries. (Flashback of Craig talking about how cool it is to have emojis in the Touch Bar on a freaking PRO computer)

epelba01

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
Does it fix Push notifications for iCloud email?
Does it let you search in messages that were sent or received prior to upgrading to iPhone 7Plus?

I'm glad there ar new emoji, why don't the core functions work properly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.