Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It definitely is a burden. The new long-swipe action does not feel as effortless as the swipe-up to bring up control centre on iOS10.

The difference in swiping motion to engage Control Centre in iOS10 vs. iOS 11 is quite literally less than one inch. If that additional movement is so burdensome, the redesign of Control Centre is the least of your worries. This complaint comes across as moaning simply for the sake of moaning.

Different apps may necessitate different levels of brightness. As such, it doesn't make sense to look at how brightness impacts 3 or more apps at the same time. For example, I might be reading a on a black screen, with white text, in iBooks. I decide to turn up the brightness to full so that I can see the text clearly. Next, I change to safari and it turns out the brightness level (that I used while reading on iBooks) is too high because safari's interface (along with most websites) is dominated by white.

Fine, you need to adjust brightness individually for each app–then don’t look at the other apps in Expose. For some though, being able to see how it effects other apps is a benefit. The method to adjust brightness in iOS 10 didn’t provide any additional benefit to this scenario nor does it solve your individual app brightness problem. In fact, making multiple brightness adjustments in iOS 10 actually takes more steps to complete (double click home to engage app switcher, swipe to locate app, touch app to switch, swipe up on CC, make brightness adjustment, disengage CC vs. swipe up in iOS 11, make brightness adjustment while viewing the app I’m going to switch back to, touch app to switch).

It is much more difficult to have to locate the app (that was in use before swiping up for control centre) in the app expose, alongside several other opened apps, to check how the brightness looks in the app that a user was in, and then to click on the specific area in the expose where that app is positioned to get back into the app once you're done with control centre. The changes to control centre in iOS 11 pull you you out of your content, and reduce the ability of users to see real time changes in a specific app

The app you were using is always positioned on the top immediate left of the Control Centre. The app utilized prior to that is always immediately below the most recent app. You’re honestly claiming that you can't remember to look in the exact same spot you’ll always need to look to locate the last app when engaging Control Centre? :rolleyes: And again, that app is poitioned literally an inch away from the native position of the brightness slider.

I understand that you prefer the implementation in iOS 10 which is certainly fine–we are all entitled to our opinion. Your complaints though just come across as overly melodramtic.

Last edited:

HenrikWivel

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Can anyone tell me if on this public beta they have fixed the END PHONE CALL button? For example your phone is locked and you receive a phone call and you talk for a little while. When done with the conversation you go to hang up but the phone is locked and there is no button to end the call so you have to use TouchID to unlock the phone to end the call. Then you have to tap the green bar at the top because it takes you to the home screen instead of the call screen. THEN you can end the call. This is the most infuriating thing to me. It still does it on iOS 10.3.3 that just came out. It is very distracting when trying to end the call when driving especially but is extremely annoying no matter when it does it.

Im not 100% sure if this is when I receive a call and talk for a bit or after I make a call and talk for a bit. Either way though I nearly always have to touchID back into the phone before I can end the call and there is no other way to end it... of course inevitably my finger is sweaty or whatever and doesn't want to TouchID properly which just adds to the aggravation.

Do any of you have the same experience? Is something wrong with my phone? Is this present in the latest beta build?
Happens for me too

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
MUCH better than Beta 3. I am no longer experiencing those long pauses resulting in re-springing. At least on my iPhone 7. We'll see about my iPad Air. It seems to struggle a little with iOS 11.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personally, before anything else is done in iOS11 I'd like NOT to have my name listed at the very top of settings! Everytime I use my phone in public and goto settings (to get a wifi access point) anyone over my shoulder sees my full name. I'd rather meeting someone first and having the choice to provide my name vs them overlooking my should to see it.

what purpose for showing someone's name at the top of settings? The owner already knows their own name and with TouchID and passwords enforced the likely hood of someone getting your phone wtihout your knowledge/permission is highly unlikely.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'll take boring:
  • iOS versions
  • Airplane rides
  • "Talks" with my Boss
  • Babysitting jobs
  • Hotel room stays (I had an exciting one once on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando where the adjacent rooms were opened with Orange County Deputies hauling out girls and their clients...)
Lol, You stayed on the SOB Trail?! On behalf of the MacAddicts here in Orlando, allow me to apologize for any/everything you experienced while "On the trail"!

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Personally, before anything else is done in iOS11 I'd like NOT to have my name listed at the very top of settings! Everytime I use my phone in public and goto settings (to get a wifi access point) anyone over my shoulder sees my full name. I'd rather meeting someone first and having the choice to provide my name vs them overlooking my should to see it.

what purpose for showing someone's name at the top of settings? The owner already knows their own name and with TouchID and passwords enforced the likely hood of someone getting your phone wtihout your knowledge/permission is highly unlikely.
What will they do with your name? Whats the big deal here?

Reactions: tbayrgs

CJA90

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014

This is what he's worried about:

IMG_7520B9DB0875-1_zpsi1sdcxyb.jpeg

quandmeme

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
I just downgraded this weekend. My iPhone 7 was running hot and I was losing battery at a fantastic rate.
I tried to move (my daily driver, I know) to 11 for the new control center and type to siri. Unfortunately, both of those features functioned better in my imagination than in practice.
Downgrading did make me miss the bolder type (my eyes are old).
I should have also read that just because it is obvious to me that the Files app needs to be able to access network files that doesn't mean that Apple thinks that would ever be important. Network file access iswhy I traded my iPad for a laptop and even after the "iPad update," that lack will keep me out of the iPad market.

any way, any change to battery or running hot on this new version for anyone?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the 'big deal" is at the very simplicity of privacy. ioS 9 and every iteration did NOT have this setting.
Why do I need to know my own name at the very top of settings where I access settings for all things iOS and the phone?
- I get it should be displayed in iCloud but it's front and center.
Who knows what could be done with my name - but therein lies the purpose. Do you want someone knowing your FULL name before meeting them first? Sorry I'm oldschool and it's weird/creepy to me without meeting a person or introduced to a person first (other than family very close friends to someone I will meet soon enough) or my employed.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
the 'big deal" is at the very simplicity of privacy. ioS 9 and every iteration did NOT have this setting.
Why do I need to know my own name at the very top of settings where I access settings for all things iOS and the phone?
Who knows what could be done with my name - but therein lies the purpose. Do you want someone knowing your FULL name before meeting them first? Sorry I'm oldschool and it's weird/creepy to me without meeting a person or introduced to a person first (other than family very close friends to someone I will meet soon enough) or my employed.
I get that but in my experience the majority of people are glued to their own phone then care about what your looking at.

Just seems like paranoia to me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Using your phone in public carries risks. My son had a picture of his appl pay screen taken while completing a transaction. I’d you don’t want anybody to see information, don’t use the phone in public ever....the screens are a treasure trove of personal information.

Also if you want to bypass that screen, 3dt settings -> wifi.

iop

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Still no full files functionality? Time's running out! Apple, please make it happen!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I get that but in my experience the majority of people are glued to their own phone then care about what your looking at.

Just seems like paranoia to me.

You're right on the first count and possibly on the second, yet I'll disagree on the 2nd and say it's just peace of mind. Not that my name or being or who I am is of any significance to anyone else - my data personal belongings mean jack shot about anything ... but I like to have that personal sense respected as such. There is a fine line saying something about somebody vs printing it ... I wonder where that all began? I see it as slightly the same principle ...

You want to know who I am ... ask me, and likewise vice versa.
You want to marry a woman, of the respect to ask her mother/father for her hand in marriage (if their alive, if not visit their grave and ask them)
You want to get reference you ASK others for their permission not simply name/number drop.

Would you state these above as paranoia? how are they different? basic principles ;)
[doublepost=1501044089][/doublepost]

The big deal is it's my name ... my birth-right, something my parents gave to me, just like my life (living life) and thus just as your name should be respected and pronounce properly whever you go like everyone else, it's the one thing you take wtih you EVEN after death! It's on your headstone, and remembered by your family, loved ones, and offspring.

You may not treasure your name and identity amongst strangers, but its no reason I shouldn't.

How often do you go into icloud settings once you've setup icloud on your phone? think about it, just how often?
- thus why did it need to be at the very TOP of Settings with your Name?
What is the real purpose of it being there?
Do you need to be reminded of your name, just like you need to be reminded of the carrier you're using with branding on all those other phones for the past 20yrs?

not a big deal to you but to me it's a preference I'm not happy with ... any changes I wait until I cannot have my shoulders overlooked. In the workplace EVERYONE is damn nosey ... it's the game of snakes and ladders.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Disappointing performance on my 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9. ProMotion is severely hampered by iOS 11. Using 4 fingers to close Safari drops a lot of frames, even more so if I have Mail open side by side. Also bringing up even the multitasking screen isn’t very smooth either. :(

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
The UI is horrible on the iPad. Here's a very simple example. Let's say I am reading a book and I want to change the screen brightness. On iOS 10, I can see in real time how the iBooks app will look if I change the brightness. On iOS 11 this is impossible. Here's the full process on iOS 10, and then on iOS 11.

iOS 10

- Swipe up from bottom
- Brings up control centre overlay whist still preserving the content of your app underneath
- Change the screen brightness with the slider
- See in real time how the app looks when adjusting the brightness slider
- Touch anywhere else on the screen, or swipe down on the control centre, to get directly back to your app.

iOS 11

- Long swipe up from bottom (which is more physically demanding) to access control centre
- The app you were in is minimised, several other apps are shown alongside this app in minimised form, and there is a strip on the right hand side with the control centre buttons
- Change the screen brightness with the slider
- Not able to see in real time how the app you were in looks when adjusting the brightness slider, because the app is now minimised, alongside several other apps, in the app expose
- Click on a specific (and quite small) area on the screen where the app has been minimised, in order to open it back up again
- Potentially discover that the alteration in brightness wasn't sufficient (because you weren't able to see the change in the app that you were using in real time) and then repeat the whole process again until you get the desired level of brightness.

Well your iBooks scenario falls flat, as there is a brightness slider in the app (tap the big A/little a). However, regarding other apps, your scenario has merit. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.