Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
That spatial audio function sounds really weird. Why would I want the sound to appear like it's coming from my phone instead of playing directly into my skull as usual?

Maybe it's just a way to say the audio remains like normal content that will remain in simple left and right manner like we're used to?

It does sound weird though, maybe it's purposefully written to encourage users to actually use and not switch it off......?

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
So what features do you guys think will be cut ahead of release and pushed off to a later iOS 14.X update? Seems to happen every year now. I think Spatial Audio might be delayed.

I haven't seen the electric car charging station route option yet. Seems to me that this will be delayed since it's still not here and this is actually a pretty significant feature.

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Does anyone know if the EV charging station route option in Maps is in this beta? If this makes it into the final release, they're sure cutting it close.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
What Apple needs to fix pretty much more than anything is the Reminders app sync fiasco, where if you amend a date or time on a Reminder on your Mac it throws the date and time out totally on your iPhone. But if you amend on your iPhone it syncs on your Mac. This has been going on since ios 13. That's almost 2 years!!!

Hellsurfer

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
On spatial audio...
Supported movies and tv shows

Wouldn’t be surprised if that meant iTunes and Apple TV+ only, no third party app support.
There is a Spatial Audio API. any third party vendor can integrate it into their app.

I guess it will be a while before we see it appearing in netflix and youtube.

Reactions: CarlJ

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
That spatial audio function sounds really weird. Why would I want the sound to appear like it's coming from my phone instead of playing directly into my skull as usual?
No the sound doesn't appear to come out of your phone. Instead the sound is in your head, through the airpods pro as usual, and tied to the location of the phone. So the sound direction is always correct based upon the location of the video. Which creates an accurate sound representation based upon the location of the video to the location of your head.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
What Content did you test it with? Was it an Apple+ TV show/Movie?

I don't have Airpods Pro and was unable to test it, I'm only reacting to the description of the feature from the MacRumors post.

If I'm using headphones, I want the sound to come out of the headphones, not to sound like it's coming out of my iPhone's speaker "virtually".

Last edited:

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Any speculation on what was wrong with the old time picker UI and why they felt the need to change it?

The old one feels more intuitive and easier to use.

You could not have possibly redesigned the app in a more less user-friendly or intuitive way. I am dead serious. It is probably the worst example of user interface design I’ve ever seen as a 34 year old. They need to fire whoever has been designing their UI lately IMO, because most of it has been awful or questionable.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I think Spatial audio with movies is just a stepping stone until they release Apple AR glasses, when positioning audio relative to your environment will be a key feature for suspension of belief.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I haven't seen the electric car charging station route option yet. Seems to me that this will be delayed since it's still not here and this is actually a pretty significant feature.
Do people use POI features all that much in reality? Just curious. I can’t ever say I have used carplay or maps to find a petrol station, or find a coffee shop or a place for a feed. In the back of my mind I would always think the map service would be directing me to someone who has paid for priority in the search function.

I mean, yes they are selling points, but I am curious how much people actually use these kind of features on a daily basis.

Peter Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Calabasas, CA
just updated to beta 6 and noticed a neat change to this update maybe i never seen before... when my iphone is locked and i say hey siri its just black and the lil siri icon is visible with the orange light up above (meaning my mic is being used ) but i cant see my wallpaper or lockscreen is this a new thing to save battery or something

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I just wish they’d tweak the small battery widget to show percentages and still be a square. The middle sized one takes up too much space on my Home Screen.

Reactions: rldunn

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
You could not have possibly redesigned the app in a more less user-friendly or intuitive way. I am dead serious. It is probably the worst example of user interface design I’ve ever seen as a 34 year old. They need to fire whoever has been designing their UI lately IMO, because most of it has been awful or questionable.
I hate using the alarm clock now.

MacAttack2024

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020

apple lately has reached a point with iOS where they are over-designing. microsoft did the same thing with office. Setting alarms is not something people want to relearn every year.

iOS 15 needs to be an iOS 7 style rebirth.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Well it seems like there's a drive to make things less intrusive, like full-screen call screen, full screen Siri. The spinning wheels on a picker just took up half the screen for no real purpose.
Well, I think for the sake of pleasure, the user experience they called it, it's worth to include such things. Otherwise all products will be the same.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
I was hoping for that adaptive light feature in the Home app. Hopefully they’re not ditching it.

Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.