Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is it just me that thinks it's weird and there's no way I would do that, when people in commercials just open a drink & start drinking it in a store without paying for it first? ?
I just saw the Jonah Hill/Coke commercial again, and was hit with the realization that if some people tried that in some local store, there'd be the loudest "WTF?!!" screamed.

Agreed.

Or when people in movies, or TV shows, leap into a car and it starts, or is started, almost instantaneously, and heads off, wth a squeal of brakes and the snarl of mad acceleration.

Meanwhile, whenever anyone I know is about to start to drive, they unlock the door, take their seat, fasten their seat belt, insert the key, check the ignition, brake, gears, mirrors, and also check to see what is behind them and what lies in front, and then - put in, or ease in, the clutch, etc - and proceed to set off and drive to their destination.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Does anyone use cloth towels exclusively in the kitchen instead of paper towels? With the way I go through paper towels, I can’t imagine using cloth

I almost get there in summertime, because I can hang a truckload of them out on the washline and let UV rays nail whatever the washing machine missed. In the winter, not so much. Of course I'm not going to drain veggie burgers on cloth dishtowels no matter the season, but dishtowels that mopped up after one too many evenings of cooking with abandon just end up as cleaning rags. I probably have to retire half a dozen towels a year for that purpose, but they do save me a whole lot of paper towels. I'm not shy about making a mess in the kitchen so I usually have about 3 dozen dishtowels in rotation.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I almost get there in summertime, because I can hang a truckload of them out on the washline and let UV rays nail whatever the washing machine missed. In the winter, not so much. Of course I'm not going to drain veggie burgers on cloth dishtowels no matter the season, but dishtowels that mopped up after one too many evenings of cooking with abandon just end up as cleaning rags. I probably have to retire half a dozen towels a year for that purpose, but they do save me a whole lot of paper towels. I'm not shy about making a mess in the kitchen so I usually have about 3 dozen dishtowels in rotation.

Big fan of flour sack towels.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Big fan of flour sack towels.

Yes! Great for doing a nice job in wiping off and leaving spotless crystal and other glassware..... I also have linen towels for this purpose, too, but the flour sack ones do the job quite nicely! They work fine for hands, too, of course.....

For spills and for wiping off the countertops I use paper towels, though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use those too.. "serious" towels, not those things the size of a sheet of notebook paper.

Ah.

Don't get me started on the topic of napkins, those tiny things, miserable tiny things, things the size of a sheet of notebook paper (as you so eloquently phrase it, @LizKat about kitchen towels, and I agree with both yourself and with @Gutwrench; on that topic, I use both cloth and paper towels), that appear on tables in some (cheaper) restaurants; instead, please give me a proper cotton napkin, almost the size of a table-cloth, the sort Italian grandfathers used to tuck into their shirt collar.

Once she reached her fifties, dinner disasters occasionally occurred in that space between the destination of a laden fork en route to one's mouth and what spectacles perched on one's nose could see - with the result that food used to sometimes miss my mother's mouth and land, not on her lap, (which is where we used to place napkins) but on what she eloquently described - with masterly understatement - as her continental shelf.

"Damn," she would say, with a gasp of smothered laughter, "I hit my continental shelf again"; she was the first advocate I knew who argued for napkins of generous proportion, and indeed, was not above using dish cloths (clean ones, needless to say) for this purpose tucked into her shirt collar.

That remained the case until I brought back a set of large, generously sized, colourful cotton napkins from France which we used until almost threadbare.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Ah.

Don't get me started on the topic of napkins, those tiny things, miserable tiny things, things the size of a sheet of notebook paper (as you so eloquently phrase it, @LizKat about kitchen towels, and I agree with both yourself and with @Gutwrench; on that topic, I use both cloth and paper towels), that appear on tables in some (cheaper) restaurants; instead, please give me a proper cotton napkin, almost the size of a table-cloth, the sort Italian grandfathers used to tuck into their shirt collar.

Once she reached her fifties, food used to occasionally miss my mother's mouth and land, not on her lap, (where we used to play napkins) but on what she eloquent described as her continental shelf. "Damn," she would say, with a gasp of smothered laughter, "I hit my continental shelf again"; she was the first advocate I knew who argued for napkins of generous proportion, and indeed, was not above using dish cloths (clean ones, needless to say) for this purpose.

That remained the case until I brought back a set of large, generous sized, colourful cotton napkins from France which we used until almost threadbare.

Continental shelf! Your mother and you have the honor of giving me the first smile and chuckle of today! Lovely post. Thank you.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Meanwhile, whenever anyone I know is about to start to drive, they unlock the door, take their seat, fasten their seat belt, insert the key, check the ignition, brake, gears, mirrors, and also check to see what is behind them and what lies in front, and then - put in, or ease in, the clutch, etc - and proceed to set off and drive to their destination.

Clearly, you've never seen me leave my garage :p o_O

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Husband is leaving town again tomorrow. I've got a little prickle of anxiety in the back of my mind.

He offers me to go with but it's honestly a burden if I did. Plus this will give us both a little time away.

We'll both be happier at the end as I'll be glad he's home and he'll be relieved to be in his own bed again.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Wondering how I landed posting here when what's on my mind is how come I don't manage to make good on my threat to stream The Crown Season 3 onto my laptop this weekend and it's 7pm on Sunday night.

Duh! Same idea last weekend. Maybe I can watch one episode?! Ciao for now!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Husband is leaving town again tomorrow. I've got a little prickle of anxiety in the back of my mind.

He offers me to go with but it's honestly a burden if I did. Plus this will give us both a little time away.

We'll both be happier at the end as I'll be glad he's home and he'll be relieved to be in his own bed again.
There’s nothing like your own bed. Not slept in mine for weeks. I did take it apart and move it yesterday though!

Maybe try to focus on some project whilst he’s away. Might help with the anxiety.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I hadn't ever thought I'd be affected by the news of someone passing that I didn't actually know, except by social media. Someone I follow on Twitter retweeted sometime ago the popular artwork of this young woman, who I began to follow. Shortly before that I guess the young woman found out her cancer had returned, so her account was not only about her art, but what she was going thru & looking back on what she thought her life might have been.

It wasn't pretty, she had ups & downs, but she kept up her spirits.

So it was a shock to see her trending on my Twitter, only to find out she suddenly passed.

https://twitter.com/QinniArt

I am starting to wonder what affects you more. Not knowing when someone no longer posts on social media, or the actual truth of why they no longer post.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Is it just me that thinks it's weird and there's no way I would do that, when people in commercials just open a drink & start drinking it in a store without paying for it first? ?
That's funny we were just talking about that yesterday. My daughter brought a drink we bought somewhere else into Shoprite, and someone was saying how no one does that. When we were kids we would open food and drink and consume it in store, but we would always pay for it. The one that annoys me is when kids are eating fruit sold by the pound before weighing.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I hadn't ever thought I'd be affected by the news of someone passing that I didn't actually know, except by social media. Someone I follow on Twitter retweeted sometime ago the popular artwork of this young woman, who I began to follow. Shortly before that I guess the young woman found out her cancer had returned, so her account was not only about her art, but what she was going thru & looking back on what she thought her life might have been.

It wasn't pretty, she had ups & downs, but she kept up her spirits.

So it was a shock to see her trending on my Twitter, only to find out she suddenly passed.

https://twitter.com/QinniArt

I am starting to wonder what affects you more. Not knowing when someone no longer posts on social media, or the actual truth of why they no longer post.

I think the actual truth. The online world is very big. You see people come and go. The few you keep within your mind, it is painful to know they passed. If they disappear without a trace you'll feel empty for a while but most will think they moved on. I was in an online group for fibromyalgia sufferers and while a few vanished, a few had left behind (or had family write) a post.

The opioid crisis and the regulations hit this community like bullets. I knew of many who just stopped posting but the ones with a goodbye still hit my heart like a pound of bricks.

Suicide to escape pain, I know it all too well as I'm a suicide survivor myself. It was devastating to read these agony filled words.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Optics. I wanted to see if I could use video to emulate a lens with a low focal length. My hypothesis was that if I recorded stable video by moving a camera parallel to its subject around in a circular motion, I'd be capturing every perspective a lower focal length lens would see at once but over time instead of space.
rawvideo.gif
So if I edited the video to recreate the circular motion and stitch together a slice from each frame (like a wedge wipe transition in a movie, but a small piece of the wedge stays behind), I could combine each perspective into a single image.

What I was looking for was the telltale "barrel distortion"—the bulging out of lines in a photo that would normally appear straight to the human eye. And… and I got, uh, results. The important thing to remember is that this technically worked!
FUNFACE lowfocal.png
The nightmare fuel was a product of the parallax effect; my head moved more relative to the camera than it would if I were physically using a wide-angle lens. I see a similar effect when 3D modeling and zooming the viewport out on a camera placed really close to an object—the object curves so much beyond the frame, it appears to almost wrap around the viewer.

So I used the same video, but reversed the rotation in editing and got a lens with a negative focal length. A concave lens that seems to pinch in lines that would otherwise be straight.
FUNFACE negfocal.png
Finally, I made a video to better illustrate how the editing works and learned two things in the process: 1. where the second faces come from in both images and 2. that the shape of the lens I made was dependent on the motion of my hand; I didn't hold the camera steady, so there are some irregularities.
explanatory.gif
Thank you for tuning into this week's episode of Body Horror with Ryan. Anyway, gotta go update my Facebook, LinkedIn and Tinder photos…

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Optics. I wanted to see if I could use video to emulate a lens with a low focal length. My hypothesis was that if I recorded stable video by moving a camera parallel to its subject around in a circular motion, I'd be capturing every perspective a lower focal length lens would see at once but over time instead of space.

View attachment 893566

So if I edited the video to recreate the circular motion and stitch together a slice from each frame (like a wedge wipe transition in a movie, but a small piece of the wedge stays behind), I could combine each perspective into a single image.

What I was looking for was the telltale "barrel distortion"—the bulging out of lines in a photo that would normally appear straight to the human eye. And… and I got, uh, results. The important thing to remember is that this technically worked!
The nightmare fuel was a product of the parallax effect; my head moved more relative to the camera than it would if I were physically using a wide-angle lens. I see a similar effect when 3D modeling and zooming the viewport out on a camera placed really close to an object—the object curves so much beyond the frame, it appears to almost wrap around the viewer.

So I used the same video, but reversed the rotation in editing and got a lens with a negative focal length. A concave lens that seems to pinch in lines that would otherwise be straight.
Finally, I made a video to better illustrate how the editing works and learned two things in the process: 1. where the second faces come from in both images and 2. that the shape of the lens I made was dependent on the motion of my hand; I didn't hold the camera steady, so there are some irregularities.
Thank you for tuning into this week's episode of Body Horror with Ryan. Anyway, gotta go update my Facebook, LinkedIn and Tinder photos…
Thanks. Put me right off my breakfast!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
After reading the aforementioned book, Digital Minimalism this past week, I've decided to take a bit of a sabbatical from the forums and the Internet overall, or more accurately, fasting from the routine activities I've been engaged in online in a daily fashion.

I am endeavoring, nay committing, to refraining from spending copious amounts of my time browsing websites and forums too much. Instead, I'll be working on using that time for other pursuits, such as reading more and getting back to writing more. I wish to further enhance my own personal and professional growth through those activities and provide myself with more value in the time spent on them.

I want to fast from the Internet, the leisurely parts of the Internet, such as MacRumors and whatnot each week. I want to only check-in and catch up perhaps once per week on the weekends, maybe only Saturday or only Sunday for a short period of time.

That isn't to say that I don't value the awesome people here and the friends I've made online because I most certainly do. But I have realized for myself that I spend entirely too much time online and not enough time pursuing other activities and goals of mine.

With that said, I'm logging out of this browsers MacRumors session for now and I'll catch up with everyone over the weekend.

:)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Fixing a late breakfast, and just happened to notice the writing on my decades old tongs, and started reminiscing about the good ole days before everything was made in China. Capitalists!

Love my old Ekco dry measures w/ handles that so far resist parting company with the cups. I also still have some kitchen utensils, pots, pans and skillets from my grandma's house, and at least two of the cast iron skillets had belonged to my great grandma. When great grandma was given those skillets as wedding gifts, China was still "the Orient" to most Americans, and (past a source of things like the exquisite and pricey porcelain vases seen only in living rooms of the wealthy) otherwise just a faraway place where tea came from and at that half the time it was still by way of trade w/ Great Britain.

I treasure my Ekco cups from somewhat more modern times (the 1980s and 1990s) along with fond memories of prowling the kitchenware aisles of a local mall's department store that was part of the long since defunct Ames chain. When I first got my fixer-upper house upstate, I only had imported from my city place a coffeemaker, a skillet, two saucepans and a box of odd plates, mugs, tableware and a few kitchen utensils.. so I was forever discovering that another trip to Ames was necessary whenever I started to plan out a weekend's meals. I mean one can peel a carrot with a paring knife but... LOL !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.