What's still missing from iPhone OS 4.0?

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
1. Option lock the screen or to disable the auto screen rotation

2. Way to hide apps

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
Option to turn off multi-tasking

Reply to text messages while in an app

Support for MobileMe Find My iPhone

Internet Tethering for US AT&T

Changing your icons, status bar, status bar icons, battery meter when charging, lock slider, font color, fonts, text message background, text message bubbles, UI colors.

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
I have 2 MobileMe accounts, and me and my mom each have iPhones, we both have 4.0 beta 1, and the Find My iPhone feature doesn't work anymore. And I asked an AT&T sales rep and he said that their network was ready, its just Apple who has to release an update. And I haven't seen in-app SMS yet.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
i want a better notification system, then i will be content
+1000

I'm pretty excited about a lot of the things theyre bringing with 4.0, and definitely can't wait to try it, but I really wish the notification system was overhauled.

iNewton4000

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
on wheels -- usually 2
Huge fail:

STILL cannot search in the Note field in Contacts!

I had someone check that out in another thread, so unless it's a late add, my iPhone will still need my 14 year old Newton to be around.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I want my "to do" list in iCal to sync to and appear in the Calendar app. This doesn't seem like it would be difficult to do--why hasn't Apple done this already?!?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
A local file system for document storage, access, and syncing. At least give us one folder accessible by any application on the iPhone and mountable as a USB flash drive on any computer it's plugged into. There is no reason, for example, that I shouldn't be able to put a Word document on my phone and open it for editing with QuickOffice. Or that I shouldn't be able to save an attachment to a folder, edit it, and then attach it to an email.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I want my "to do" list in iCal to sync to and appear in the Calendar app. This doesn't seem like it would be difficult to do--why hasn't Apple done this already?!?
I agree. I mean jebus, my Palm V had this ten years ago. Come on Apple.

Raidel

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
I have 2 MobileMe accounts, and me and my mom each have iPhones, we both have 4.0 beta 1, and the Find My iPhone feature doesn't work anymore. And I asked an AT&T sales rep and he said that their network was ready, its just Apple who has to release an update. And I haven't seen in-app SMS yet.
Maybe you have to be patient and wait until the Summer that 4.0 is actually released for the apps with the API implemented to be released as well. Until then you will not be able to enjoy any of that.

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
Maybe you have to be patient and wait until the Summer that 4.0 is actually released for the apps with the API implemented to be released as well. Until then you will not be able to enjoy any of that.
No I can wait for the SMS in-app replying and other stuff, its just the Find My iPhone feature that I can't wait for. One of the main reasons why I bought MobileMe was for that, also my mom has left her old phones at restaurants many times before, someone sees an iPhone on the table, they're taking it and not giving it back. I just can't risk losing my very expensive phone. If I lose my phone while this bug isn't fixed, then Apple better be giving me a new free iPhone, because that bug is their fault. Its both of their products. I also think it has something to do with that new location thing, where some apps would locate you from your nearest tower, instead of GPS. It needs fixing right away, or they might as well refund everyone who bought MobileMe, and remove the Find My iPhone feature. This is not acceptable.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
A local file system for document storage, access, and syncing. At least give us one folder accessible by any application on the iPhone and mountable as a USB flash drive on any computer it's plugged into. There is no reason, for example, that I shouldn't be able to put a Word document on my phone and open it for editing with QuickOffice. Or that I shouldn't be able to save an attachment to a folder, edit it, and then attach it to an email.
i'm with you on this one. We need the ability for apps to share documents and data.

Anthony T

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Ability to customize SMS texts with different colored bubbles, like in iChat. That would be a nice addition. :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It needs fixing right away, or they might as well refund everyone who bought MobileMe, and remove the Find My iPhone feature. This is not acceptable.
4.0 is not a public release, but an unsupported developer beta for people to begin developing for the new APIs. It is not intended to be feature-complete. It is not intended to be installed on a phone that you rely on for your daily communications or that you use outside of the development environment. It should be expected to have bugs, crashes, disabled and incomplete functionality. It is not Apple's fault that you are using this beta OS in a way it was never intended to be used.

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
4.0 is not a public release. It is a development beta for people to begin developing for the new APIs; it is not intended to be feature-complete. It is not intended to be installed on a phone that you rely on for your daily communications or that you use outside of the development environment. It is not Apple's fault that you are using this beta OS in a way it was never intended to.
I have to agree with you, thats actually a good point. But they should have tested out the Find My iPhone feature before releasing the beta. If I ran a company similar to Apple, this would be one of my top priorities. And this is the funny part, I tried to reset it up, and I had like 110 contacts in my phone, and when I was done I had 214. There were 6 Angela's.

Azmontana

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
No I can wait for the SMS in-app replying and other stuff, its just the Find My iPhone feature that I can't wait for. One of the main reasons why I bought MobileMe was for that, also my mom has left her old phones at restaurants many times before, someone sees an iPhone on the table, they're taking it and not giving it back. I just can't risk losing my very expensive phone. If I lose my phone while this bug isn't fixed, then Apple better be giving me a new free iPhone, because that bug is their fault. Its both of their products. I also think it has something to do with that new location thing, where some apps would locate you from your nearest tower, instead of GPS. It needs fixing right away, or they might as well refund everyone who bought MobileMe, and remove the Find My iPhone feature. This is not acceptable.
Yes but as it is a beta you would except there to be a few bugs, I'm sure if you were to read the disclaimer before you installed it would say something to reflect that. I know it's harsh but if you lost your phone it's not really Apples fault they released 4.0 as a beta. If your really that concerned about loosing your phone you should put revert back to the old OS.

hybrid62

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
It is acceptable because 4.0 is beta software and not everything is expected to work now if it was the final version and find my iphone wasn't working then it would be a different story.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I have to agree with you, thats actually a good point. But they should have tested out the Find My iPhone feature before releasing the beta.
You still are expecting final-release-like feature-completeness from a private beta. Find My iPhone is a consumer feature and has nothing to do with development. I doubt Find My iPhone has anything at all to do with the new APIs, which would of course be the first priority in a developer beta. I'm sure that Find My iPhone support will be back in a later beta. Expecting Apple to cater to your desire to misuse the beta as a full-time OS on your personal phone is unreasonable.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
You do realize that 4.0 is a BETA right? Its meant for developers to...develop with. Not for you to carry around on your personal device. Just because you don't understand such a simple concept doesn't mean Apple owes you anything.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Again, this is what we really need. This is the feature that will truly make it a professional phone. Otherwise, at work, I have no way of getting files off my phone. Due to security reasons, the WiFi at work is really locked down. My phone can't access it, basically turning my iPhone into a dumbphone. If someone asks for a file on my phone, I can't give it to them. I could use 3G to email the file to them, but AT&T blows and I don't get service where I work.

Working the ipad, it's going to be even harder accessing files unless WiFi is available. There should be more ways to get files on and off your iPhone/iPad than just WiFi. Now, if WiFi was everwhere, then this would be fine, but it's not. I'll guess I'll have to jailbreak to get this very simple, but vital function.

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
Again, this is what we really need. This is the feature that will truly make it a professional phone. Otherwise, at work, I have no way of getting files off my phone. Due to security reasons, the WiFi at work is really locked down. My phone can't access it, basically turning my iPhone into a dumbphone. If someone asks for a file on my phone, I can't give it to them. I could use 3G to email the file to them, but AT&T blows and I don't get service where I work.

Working the ipad, it's going to be even harder accessing files unless WiFi is available. There should be more ways to get files on and off your iPhone/iPad than just WiFi. Now, if WiFi was everwhere, then this would be fine, but it's not. I'll guess I'll have to jailbreak to get this very simple, but vital function.
You can use an application on the App Store called "Discover". It acts as a wireless USB flash drive. I'm pretty sure your work wont block network IP addresses and port access.