Whats the reason apple wont let us downgrade iOS ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geta, Nov 2, 2015.

1. geta macrumors 6502a

Why they blocking the option to downgrade the iOS version up to the original version that came with the machine ? but in the same time on their mac's its not a problem to do so ?

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

So they can claim % market share and also so as to make your device run like crap in hope you'll go out and buy a new one.

3. Hal~9000, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

This ^, plus they don't want people able to roll back the OS to a jailbreakable version where the person can install pirated apps.

4. Jsameds macrumors 68030

It's pretty easy to not hit the update button, you know...

5. Sajal macrumors regular

Its pretty hard not to hit the update button, you know ...

6. Hal~9000, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Not if...
    • You need warranty service
    • Apple ****s up, like they have in the past, and kills support for FaceTime (or other iPhone services) on a previous iOS version
    • You buy a used device that runs like crap on the new version of iOS and want to roll things back to when it worked good

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Agree, you get a prompt every 10mins. This is worse than windows.
    I don't get a prompt each time an app is updated, just an indication on the icon...

8. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Aah didn't know that. I jailbreak mine so I don't get any notifications. Maybe people should just do that instead.

9. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

How are you prompted every 10 minutes? Only thing I get is a red badge on the settings icon. I just move the settings icon to a screen that I don't have to keep looking at till I'm ready to do the update.

10. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Well, if this is the case, then iOS does way worse than Windows. This is rather annoying.

However, what I guess is: this 10 min notification may come out if you have downloaded the update software and your phone is ready.

Apple don't roll out new updates like this crazy, I think.

11. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Security mostly.

iOS is intended to be locked down, for security, the ability for apple to revoke application certificates, enforce third party content protection, etc.

iOS is this way because it was developed in the days of far more importance being placed on DRM and security than when MacOS and OS X were developed. Also because iOS devices require less flexibility and are considered to be more of an appliance than a general purpose computer.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

To prevent you from jailbreaking. Lots of older versions of iOS are jailbreakable.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not all jailbreakers jailbreak for piracy.

I pay for my tweaks and apps and all my appstore apps. I jailbreak to customize my device the way I want, not to rip people off.

14. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also on mac if you want to have the latest security you need to have the latest OSX (or at list to update it separately).
    About jailbreak version and pirated\cracked apps, we can do the same on the mac - possible to tweak OSX as i want with many third party apps, and you can download any program in the market as a cracked version...

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That may not start being the case. El Capitan has a security measure now that prevents you from modifying some of the underlying UNIX folders. At this time it can be disabled…but in the future?

If Apple continues to take this trend forward we all my have to jailbreak our Macs just to make them the way we like and not the cookie cutter setup Apple wants to maintain.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

I would think a lot do, but won't come bragging here in MR that's why they do it.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There are quite a few. I'm not one of them. And the ones that do and do come over to MR get hit pretty hard in the jailbreak forums here (yes, MacRumors has a jailbreak forum and it's very active).

My point is that because of the word 'jailbreak' and high visibility piracy, most non-jailbreakers lump the two together and think that ALL jailbreakers are criminals or thieves.

Jailbreaking is legal. The Librarian of Congress says so. What you do with your device after that is what makes you a pirate or not.

18. freedomisle macrumors regular

and we all learnt the hard way! When it first happened to me I was confused as to why Apple would provide me with an update that would slow my device down and make the interface lag. The same happened to my mother with her iPhone, my bestfriend with his iPhone. We all purchased new iPhones as our previous phones became frustrating to use. You have to give it to :apple:Apple:apple: as the planned obsoleteness works in getting the unexpecting public to upgrade their phones.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh. And for those that are anti-jailbreak, here is something else to consider.

Apple has quietly changed it's warranty policy in regards to jailbreaking. They need to prove now that a jailbreak has caused an issue before they deny warranty. If they cannot prove that then they no longer deny warranty to jailbroken devices.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Nobody in my house jailbreaks; don't want the security risk. But to each their own. I have an iPhone precisely because I have a busy life and just want the thing to work without fuss.

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

You get prompts every time you try to use the phone...

22. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I never do, other than having that red badge on the settings icon.

23. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Aye, but we're on iOS 9 now, which is 8 upgrades. Anyone with any experience of an iDevice should know by now that you shouldn't really go above iOS x+1 where x is the version the device originally shipped with.

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Agreed. You stole my thunder.

25. mi7chy, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

You're a paying puppet for their marketing and off-shore accounts. What iOS version works better for you isn't important to Apple. Another line under "Made in China" is needed to say "Treated like Chinese citizen".