What's With The Apple Hatred

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ericgtr12, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I get it if people want to use Android or Windows devices, to each their own but what I don't get is why so many that do seem to have such a hatred for Apple. Most people I talk to who use a different device are almost angry about it, instead of just being happy with their preferred device.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think you'll find this cuts both ways, both pro (try some of the more perfervid threads and sub-fora here, the ones I tend to try to give a wide berth to - such as the iPhones, and iWatch sections) and anti.

In truth, I suspect that it may come from a perceived superiority complex that some Windows users may feel comes with membership of the Apple ecosystem.

Conversely, some Apple users may view their devices as an extension of their personal brand, or an expression of their sense of identity - positions that used to be very much encouraged by much of the very slick and attractive advertising Apple has done, off and on since the 80s, - by seeming to promote the idea of ownership of Apple products as choosing to join the membership of an uber-cool elite distinguished by their taste for cutting edge tech design and their ability to afford it - and thus, may see any attempt to question Apple products as an attack on themselves.

On this forum, obviously, you will most likely find those who like, admire, buy, and use Apple products, computers and devices.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People take this to a level that reaches religious over-tones.

On a personal front, there's some things I'm not jazzed up about apple, but many things I am. For instance I don't like the 4k iMac but I think the 5k is a great machine.

Anyways, my perspective is I find the best tool for the job, whether that's a Surface Pro tablet for my mobility needs, or a 5k iMac for my main machine.

5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Agree it cuts both ways and mostly based on the nasty comments coming from Apple to the other folks... its now turned 180deg and is coming back. Look at apple and the PC ads they did.. now look at samsung and apple..

Plus, of late the quality of the software leaves a lot to be desired, so even us actual apple users are getting very fed-up with it all.

6. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Isn't it Rogifan who has that signature about how we made corporations our new gods?

I see a lot of those super-heated fights and I think a lot of them can be attributed to buyer's insecurity (rather than remorse). The need to convince yourself your expensive purchase was the right choice. iOS MUST BE BETTER than Android because you're stuck with the iPhone for next two years – and vice versa. So when someone says "Android is so much better in this or that aspect" there's immediately going to be a bunch of people responding with useful criticism like "ur an idiot go f- urself"... and, again, vice versa.

I've been called both an Apple hater and a fanboi (drinking the kool-aid, obviously) here at MF because my opinions about Apple aren't 100% positive or 100% negative. There are things I hate, dislike, like and love. Apple is not my life, and neither is Sony (whose tablet and phone I have). If you think my technology choices are wrong, it's not my problem. Like @maflynn I found the right tools for me, and what other people think about them is irrelevant.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Same here, I think it must mean you've got a nicely balanced point of view. :)

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I would not describe myself as fed up. However, I was aggravated when they short changed Apple Works with Pages, although Pages does what it does well, but then they reduced features on Pages as if their hearts are no longer into providing MacOS software applications. Maybe not enough people were buying it. I've been planning a shift from Pages to something else for a while now, but the MacOS? No problems with that so far.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple's just fine.

They've always caused controversies, that's who they are. Makes for interesting reading.

Nothing to worry about or take seriously.

They're laughing at us as they take our money to the bank. :D

10. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

That's just human nature. Some like one thing, some others...such is life. Makes life interesting. Keeps the life form from other galaxies from coming here :p

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

So the little green men have put Earth on their ignore list? :)

But, yeah, human nature. A heady mix of tribalism and immaturity. We may even be hard-wired for it?

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't have a hatred toward any tech company or product. I use both Apple and Microsoft products and find them to be very good and useful for my needs.

I think some people are overly zealous about their product line of choice and defend it and attack the opposition to the death. Frankly, this is a mindset I don't fathom. At the end of the day, they're tools to get a job done, be it work-related or for entertainment and information.

I don't worship the companies or products and I sure don't come down on other folks choice if it happens to differ from mine.

13. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Maybe it simply has to do with being over the age of 16...

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bravo, and well said. And yes, I agree with you.

While I use Apple products and quite like them, they do not define who I am. In the work world, Windows still predominates. Both have their advantages.

To be honest, I think that a lot of the passion concerning Apple products may well come from teenagers who are still in the process of defining and working out their identity and who they are. Possession of Apple products may serve to anchor their sense of identity, and thus, a criticism of Apple may be confused with an attempt to attack their carefully constructed identity.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's my situation as well. Some people think I'm overly negative towards apple, just because I point out some things I don't like about them or have a negative reaction towards some of their recent moves. On the other hand, people see my signature and see that I have mostly apple products so, I'm also considered a kool-aid drinking fanatic. Go figure

16. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Yes, that's been me. As someone who has used Apple products since 1996, I am not happy with recent developments, but especially not in the Quality Control for software and hardware.

When Apple products "just work", I absolutely adore them. My issues over the past two years have gone from mildly annoying to ridiculous (the iPhone swaps the over the past 3.5 months were laughably frustrating.) So I am not afraid to speak my frustration or to offer praise for that. Insofar as computers, I admit I am as much to blame as faulty hardware, but I can roll with that.

I will not purchase an Apple product at 74th Street or 14th Street in Manhattan, but will at the 5th Avenue store. Why? Because I get the assistance I need without an attitude. They've been wonderful lately.

If that makes me a hater or a fangurl, whatever. I use PCs etc. at work and if that's what works for others, great. If it doesn't, that's fine too.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

People have too much time on their hands and allocate it in strange ways sometimes. If we were all trying to thresh grain from our little quarter-acre plot before the rain makes starving beggars of us, we wouldn't have time to bash Apple or praise it for anything.

But since I'm here I may as well say Apple stuff has its up and down times in my book. Sometimes I'm a big fan and other times I have to try hard to be polite when I submit feedback.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I dislike Apple, Microsoft, and Google equally but I really try not to let it show.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Equal opportunity dislike? Well said, an impressive perspective.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I was with you until you got to the second half of that sentence. I'm pretty good about not bashing others' choices except with one of my nephews. We had a longstanding josh with each other over Apple vs. Microsoft. Well, vs. the earlier versions of Windows anyway. All in good fun but at least on my side I meant every word of whatever I emailed him, even with smilies attached. Finally he had it up to the eyebrows with MS too and at home switched to a linux setup. A compromise, let's say. Now he just busts me over my fondness for iPhones and I can't even keep up with news of what he keeps switching to... which imo means I'm still winning .:p

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a Surface Pro at home, I support Windows desktops and servers at work, and to be honest, both platforms are stable, and generally problem free.

Yes, Windows is not perfect, it has some issues and to be safe you need antivirus software. OS X is far from perfect, and if you visit the El Cap forum, you'll see many people having problems.

I'm not bashing either one, just pointing out that like SBG, I do choose what works best for my needs.

For me, I like the integration of OS X and iOS and that was the final straw that won me over to buy the iMac instead of the XPS8900. I'm constantly using Facetime, or Messages to interact with family members and the loss of that was a major drawback for me. Long story short, I opted to buy an iMac because it offered me more then the Dell.

I don't buy a product because of its logo, though I will say that Apple does make beautifully designed products.

The platform wars I guess haven't really ended, take Paul Thurrott, he uses an iPhone and a Mac, yet every chance he gets, he'll fire off a shot at Apple (sometimes deservedly so sometimes not). My point is people take their computer platforms seriously as I posted above.

22. Tech198, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

Tech198 macrumors G4

Could be mainly due to again related to price.... Arn't we always :)

While at the same time, users don't understand that a good gaming with tech spec's u pay big bucks for this, and they think it should be the same for Mac too...

Since Apple specs are under-powered as game machines the high end stuff for the same price point, users on PC just assume this same fact of like for Apple users and so why they just hate them..

That's the real story. If it was about anything else apart from specs, there would be no complain at all..

Not saying that's the only thing, but it's always been a thing.

I use Windows sometimes in VM. I have no preference.. they are both as bad as each other in their own way.. Apple has their issue, and so does Microsoft.

When i see Windows 10 having issues, then OS X 10.11 after such a wide array of trouble, the frirst thing i always think is "We.. Apple followed Microsoft" and i guess when u look at history..... that's usually how it goes. There is no such thing anymore as one company making a crappy OS, but the other making a better one..

If MS has issues with Windows 10.. OS X must have the wide spread issues too... I always laugh at tread this goes. I dunno why,,, i just pick up on this sort of stuff.

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

A sadly ongoing beef with Apple, pretending they've paid the entire refund amount on returned (brand new) items when my bank, original web order and math say otherwise. I shouldn't have to point out that my original web order (and bank charge) quote an amount that is $166 more than what the refunds add up to.

Justifiable grrr :mad: um, yeah. I've got the email to Tim Cook ready to go.

24. Scepticalscribe, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That strikes me as poor, to indifferent, customer service. Once upon a distant time, Apple's customer service was justly regarded as excellent.

Reading this thread, I am struck by the fact that there seems to be another form of 'Apple Hatred' and it is not just those who disdain the product because of what they had viewed as the elitist attitudes of those who bought them (an attitude that used to be encouraged by Apple in its advertising).

Rather, these days, it is disgruntled Apple customers who seem to comprise those most dissatisfied with Apple.

To Windows users, a computer is not a definition of their identity - it is a tool to get something done.

However, traditionally, Apple users (an attitude much encouraged by the attractive and slick advertising produced by Apple) have long seen themselves as members of an esoteric elite in the world of tech, and their computer as an extension of their sense of self which defines their personality (stylish, cool, fusion of form and function, etc etc).

These days, though, things have changed, partly because of Apple's revolutionary impact on areas other than computing. Here, I refer to their extraordinary - and transformative - impact on music with the iPod and iTunes, (utterly transforming the entire model of how music is produced, bought, marketed and consumed and destroying the old music record studios in the process, and transforming the relationship between customer and music creator), as well as their impact on phone technology (with the iPhone, almost annihilating Nokia in the process), and on how material is downloaded and stored online.

The upshot of all that is that Apple no longer derives most of its income from computers. If anything, they are almost a sideline. Apple can afford to run its computing arm as a loss leader, almost as a hobby, a sideline of what it used to do. Nowadays, with the rentier model for the consumption of music (and Apps) well established, it has forged a path - a very original path - into new markets and entirely new ways of selling and providing and storing information and data.

The old customers, those who wail 'but we were there in the beginning' are no longer necessary to the company; it is not an esoteric elite, it is an exceptionally profitable multinational company.

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

No arguments with your response sir. It's definitely clear where they are going.

For years, I was an Apple snob and then I grew up. These days, it's what is best for the user. PCs are best at work, Apple best at home.

This refund issue has happened at least 2x prior and I was hung up on by the first person in billing today - lately it is taking 2 phone calls to Apple to get anything done which is another reason why they won't get money for a new computer now. This incident convinced me to risk and get over buying a 2012 Mac Mini on eBay. I'll use the Apple gift cards for accessories.