Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I like cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, and Swiss Cheese. Prefer it to be low fat. It is good for calcium and some protein.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I don't like "soft" cheeses too much, I prefer hard, sharp cheeses like gruyer and emmenthal...and a really old sharp cheddar is nice too....oh yeah!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I like the simple cheeses. Cheddar (the sharper better), mozzarella, romano, parmesan... Feta is about as exotic as I get. Tasty in salads or on pita bread, dipped in oil and vinegar. American is ok on stuff, but if you get the processed kind, sometimes it tastes like plastic. I'm not much for the stinky cheeses for some reason. I love cheese though. Put it in almost everything I eat.

Unfortunetly I can't eat it right now. Have some issues right now, so I'm on a strict diet. No dairy. :( Also no yeast, no acidic fruits, no meat, no nuts... and no chocolate. :eek:

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
For me, there's nothing quite like some bread with havarti. Gruyère is up there, too. I also like cheese with some dates, but I never know what goes good with them. Can anyone recommend something?

It's kind of strange, but all of a sudden I'm liking all these things I never liked before. I never was much of a cheese person, but now I can't get enough of it. Same goes for olives and artichokes.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
With all the talk of the Gouda cheese it just remembered another cheese I wouldn't pass up. The best kinds of Gouda are the really old ones. The ones so old and hard that they crumble when you slice it off. Truly exceptional! In the REALLY good ones salt crystals actually form. Then you know its good to go!
My mother lives about 10 mins away from the town/city of Gouda (I live about 30 mins away from it). So there's plenty of choice here for that kind of cheese! ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Macaddicttt said:
Same goes for olives and artichokes.
The next time you have artichokes, dip them in a nice parmesean-butter sauce. Or spinach and cheese dip. Can't help you with the olives, not a fan.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Macaddicttt said:
For me, there's nothing quite like some bread with havarti. Gruyère is up there, too.

I'm not a cheese guy at all. I mean, I love the stuff, but I know nothing about cheeses or any of the different sorts/categories, and have basically been lost through this entire thread.

However, I do know what Havarti is (one of the few I know), and I love it!! Its just so creamy tasting. :)

Geetar

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
USA
Blue Stilton, a decently mature Cheddar, a good strong goat and Camembert that follows you out of the shop......

Up 'til recently, where I live in Florida, that wasn't the easiest stuff to find, but now we have Wholefoods and I've virtually taken up residence in their cheese and olive section.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
Danish Blue. I may try it with aqvavit some time....

Actually, you can make any cheese into a blue cheese by simply leaving it in the fridge long enough. :eek:

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Oh there are too many to name... and it all depends on the application. But I do have to say, I get more compliments on my herbed baked goat cheese salads than any other I make. It's a ball of goat cheese rolled in a few green herbs, then dipped in egg followed by melba toast crumbs, then frozen and baked until the coating is crispy and the cheese is warmed through. Yum.

However, I'll happily eat Parmesean Reggiano with balsamic anytime. For sammys I like swiss or cheddar or pepper jack. I've been to the Tillamook plant in Oregon, it's amazing to see the huge troughs their cheese is made in.

Of course I love the stinky cheeses, nothing better than Stilton or Maytag on a salad. And I like brie for appetizers...

I could go on and on about cheese, it's such a great (and versatile) food. Except for that American crap. Won't eat that for love or money.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I don't have as much cheese in my life as I used to, as i am now on a mostly Vegan diet, But I do sneak in a bit of Mozzarella if i am stuck for something in a restaurant, I will have a Pizza. I did use to like Havarti, but not had it for years.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
yellow said:
garlic + Gruyère + Emmenthaler + white wine + kirsch + heat + bread = heaven (and possibly heart failure)
Mmm. Cheese fondue. That stuff is s... *falls over and dies from heart failure*

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned raclette. You take a big half wheel of swiss raclette cheese (Not the french kind. It isn't as good :D) and melt the edge over a fire and scrape the melted cheese onto your plate and eat it with boiled potatoes and stuff like that. It's even better than cheese fondue.

Dave the Great

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
I love real Wisconsin Cheese!!

I love real mozzarella!!

I love Parmigiano-Reggiano!!

I love Gruyere!! ( I just had Gruyere Surchoix Grand Cru, Roth Kase 2000 World Champ, ACS best of show 99, on a salad. It was phenomenal!!)

I love 5 year old cheddar!!

I just had some smoked swiss that I loved!!

I love squeeky cheese curds!!

I love cheese in bratwurst!!

I love veal parmigiana!!

I love string cheese!!

I love cheese!!

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
a good bitey cheddar, excellent on a steak sandwich, pecorino and romano, perfect for pasta and boccocini(spelling? for pizzas :)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Favorite kind of cheese?

I've been really into jarlsburg lately... cant understand why as I usually don't like swiss-type-cheeses.

Nothing like a good romano. It has to be hand cut (not shredded).

Certian soft goudas.

Umm...

Nothing (nothing!) beats 'Drunken goat'

nothing.

What's your favorite kind of cheese?

[Moderator note: threads merged]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.