Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Insurance choice

• Carrier (Asurion, etc)

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • Best Buy Geek Squad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AppleCare +

Votes: 69 42.9%
  • Squaretrade

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • No insurance

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • Credit Card purchase benefit

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
I feel the same way. Basically with the insurance you are prepaying for damage you may never cause. With in store screen repair and out of warranty swaps, AC+ never made sense to me. And with the higher cost and deductible, it makes less sense to me.

Well then don't buy it but don't cry a river when you phone in and are told the out of warranty repair options. It will be pay those prices or buy a new device at full price if you don't want to pay for the repair. AC+ is well worth it for a device that's north of $700 USD or $900 CDN

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Do the math.

Applecare+ is $129 and $99 per occurrence on the S line. 1 break you're out $228.

No insurance- $129 6S $149 for the 6S+ out of warranty charge to replace the screen.

Even after 2 breaks you're STILL cheaper paying out of warranty on both models- $327 vs $258/$298

I dont see Applecare+ as a good deal personally.
while you make a valid point the water damage protection makes it totally worth it to me alone. Also if you drop it it'll have physical damage and having that replaced will keep the value of the phone higher when you sell or trade it.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
No insurance for me. I haven't damaged one yet. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I'm already way ahead on the no-insurance savings so I've already beat the spending curve.

Definitely a personal choice though and insurance is a good thing for some people!

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
No insurance for me. I haven't damaged one yet. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I'm already way ahead on the no-insurance savings so I've already beat the spending curve.

Definitely a personal choice though and insurance is a good thing for some people!
do you have apple care on your MacBook?

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Well then don't buy it but don't cry a river when you phone in and are told the out of warranty repair options. It will be pay those prices or buy a new device at full price if you don't want to pay for the repair. AC+ is well worth it for a device that's north of $700 USD or $900 CDN
(or a 128 gig for $900 US)

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Traditionally, that is the route I've always taken and ice never had to make a claim. With the price increase I'm more hesitant to do it.

Careful. Remember Murphy's Law.

"whatever can go wrong, will go wrong."

The first time you don't buy AppleCare + you'll need it.

Reactions: ABC5S

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
AppleCare + due to this being my first Plus phone and I always go nekkid. Want to be prepared if anything slips. Never had an issue and never had insurance but thought, what the hell.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
if you pay an additional $29+tax we can do Express Replacement Service. We place a hold on your CC for the full replacement value of a device and ship it to you. Once you get the replacement you put your broken device in the box and ship it back to us (shipping is prepaid) once we receive your device in the mail we remove the hold on the CC. What you're left paying is the $79 service fee for accidental damage + the $29 ERS fee
I do not believe the $29 fee is accurate, according to Apple's web site. Express replacement is included as part of AC+, and the $29 fee is for doing an express replacement when you do not have AppleCare+

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US

A: Rude

B: His math makes sense. You spend $129 for 2 years of accidental coverage. If you damage the device then it's a $99 deductible. So after one claim you have spent $238. If you don't buy AC+ then it would be $299 for another iPhone from Apple. Yes, you would have spent more, however, if you don't need to make a claim at all then you just wasted $129 on AC+ for two years rather then me if I didn't have AC+. It's insurance so it's more or less a gamble either way. I'm thinking of not dropping $129 and just taking my chances and if I damage it then I'll pay the $299 for another device if necessary.

Reactions: SoloStyle

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
I do not believe the $29 fee is accurate, according to Apple's web site. Express replacement is included as part of AC+, and the $29 fee is for doing an express replacement when you do not have AppleCare+

it's a feature of AC+ however you still pay the fee for it. Trust me I do this for a living. We can wave it and procedurally should but if you're being an asshat about it don't expect the advisor to be accomodating.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Do the math.

Applecare+ is $129 and $99 per occurrence on the S line. 1 break you're out $228.

No insurance- $129 6S $149 for the 6S+ out of warranty charge to replace the screen.

Even after 2 breaks you're STILL cheaper paying out of warranty on both models- $327 vs $258/$298

I dont see Applecare+ as a good deal personally.

You forget AppleCare + covers everything. Not just the screen. So if you drop it and crack the screen, sure you can get it fixed cheaper, but what about that dent/gash in your aluminum body now?

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I would actually consider it for a Macbook since repairs can be much more expensive, but it doesn't cover accidental damage
I'm looking to get AC for my 15, could i get an educational discount through calling apple?

(not trying to hijack the thread but y'all seem to know your stuff)

Mjcarlin907

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Kailua Kona, HI
I would stay away from carrier insurance at all cost or any other insurance that does their own refurbishing. We have had a lot of refurbished phones come in from At&t and they are using third party parts. If you ever have to file a warranty or replacement through apple then you would be out of luck since Apple will not service third party modifications. I would stick with Apple Care + or an insurance that will refund the cost of replacement through apple.

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
A: Rude

B: His math makes sense. You spend $129 for 2 years of accidental coverage. If you damage the device then it's a $99 deductible. So after one claim you have spent $238. If you don't buy AC+ then it would be $299 for another iPhone from Apple. Yes, you would have spent more, however, if you don't need to make a claim at all then you just wasted $129 on AC+ for two years rather then me if I didn't have AC+. It's insurance so it's more or less a gamble either way. I'm thinking of not dropping $129 and just taking my chances and if I damage it then I'll pay the $299 for another device if necessary.

First off it's the offical Apple line. I'm stating it for the record. Sorry if I come off as harsh I'm just sick to death of hearing people cry and bitch that they have to pay when they drop their non AC+ device. They basically get told pay up or go away by our senior advisors all the time.

Second paying the OOW repair price does NOT get you a phone swap. only if you pay the OOW price AND the ERS price will you get a device and it's not a new device like people like to think you're getting a refurb FYI

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't think you're understanding the point. Nobody is crying a river. We will pay $300-329 out of pocket if something catastrophic happens to our phones and move on with life. I have save many times more than $329 not buying Apple care plus over the years.

TO ME a much smarter way to go about this is to put a couple bucks from each paycheck into and "oh ****" fund that I can dip into when needed.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm looking to get AC for my 15, could i get an educational discount through calling apple?

(not trying to hijack the thread but y'all seem to know your stuff)
I personally have no idea about educational discounts on Apple care, sorry :(
My educational discounts ship has sailed lol.

Reactions: Fthree

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I've never not once damaged an iPhone, even when I was in Afghanistan my iPhone 5 rerurned with me in mint condition (thanks to an otterbox)

That said

I always go with some type of insurance for peace of mind. Usually either carrier insurance or Apple Care. I'm not worried about loss or theft protection and starting next year I'm going to go with Apple's upgrade Program, so I'll be insured regardless

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
I don't think you're understanding the point. Nobody is crying a river. We will pay $300-329 out of pocket if something catastrophic happens to our phones and move on with life. I have save many times more than $329 not buying Apple care plus over the years.

TO ME a much smarter way to go about this is to put a couple bucks from each paycheck into and "oh ****" fund that I can dip into when needed.

Ok you're at least thinking with your head and have a logical answer. Thank you for that. Lots of people phone in every day literally crying and screaming that we won't give them a new device because they didn't purchase AC+, can't afford a new phone and don't want to pay OOW repair. It's like yea sorry those are your options I can't offer you anything different. People like you that realize hey I didn't buy coverage so I should have an OH $%^#! fund are the sensible customers I more than enjoy helping. It's just self entitled arrogant whiny babies that drive me up the wall

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Ok you're at least thinking with your head and have a logical answer. Thank you for that. Lots of people phone in every day literally crying and screaming that we won't give them a new device because they didn't purchase AC+, can't afford a new phone and don't want to pay OOW repair. It's like yea sorry those are your options I can't offer you anything different. People like you that realize hey I didn't buy coverage so I should have an OH $%^#! fund are the sensible customers I more than enjoy helping. It's just self entitled arrogant whiny babies that drive me up the wall
Lol my wife is manager at Best Buy. My favorite story is someone demanded a free Dyson because an item she pre ordered came in smashed and needed compensation for her time.

It may be terrible for me to say, but with all the leasing options out there now, there are a ton of people who can't really afford smartphones "owning" smartphones. I think you're only likely to hear more of this. It's likely why Apple requires AC+ on their own leases.

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008

I deal with it all the time at Best Buy. People declining Apple Care/Geek Squad Protection and then ready to throw a fit when we won't freely replace the device THEY damaged.

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
I deal with it all the time at Best Buy. People declining Apple Care/Geek Squad Protection and then ready to throw a fit when we won't freely replace the device THEY damaged.

I know lol it's like ok I'm sorry it happened I feel for you but I can't offer you anything else here's the option pay up or **** off basically

Reactions: ABC5S and ziggo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.