Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duckypoos

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Makes sense I guess ... A huge commercial triple hit from Apple with a full line-up of new equipment , married to a new OS , looks how it's going to be ...

I'm off to get myself a 2011 iMac , this waiting about nonsense is getting on my nerves ....

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
By the time Apple release Ivy Bridge Macs, you may as well just wait for Haswell.

I'm beginning to believe that by the time Apple ships a Haswell machine, Dell and the rest of the Windoze crew will be shipping Broadwell machines.

----------

I'm off to get myself a 2011 iMac , this waiting about nonsense is getting on my nerves ....

Don't do it! Give it another couple of weeks.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
From what I hear on these forums: whilst they have been announced, no one is shipping in bulk with the new processors until the end of this month.

Given how much pent up demand there is for new machines, both laptop and desktop, I would think that Apple won't ship until it can receive the new components in sufficient quantity. I am leaning towards the summer launch camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmorgan

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Makes sense I guess ... A huge commercial triple hit from Apple with a full line-up of new equipment , married to a new OS , looks how it's going to be ...

I'm really waiting for the new model because of the better GPU, but I'm getting tired of waiting and right now I am sharing my wife's laptop which has bad integrated graphics.

If the 2012 iMac isn't out by May 15th, I'm going to go ahead and get the 2011 one. I'm going to be playing Diablo 3 hardout, and don't want to wait another month until june, *if* it even comes out then.

divamatt

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Well since we're all waiting anyway. My local apple authorised retailer is offering 50% off your "next" apple computer.

The way it looks is that when you buy a computer with them, you get half off if you trade your older model within 2 years.

Is this worth it? Have any of you seen a deal like it and took it?

Not sure if it's worth it to tell the truth. I generally buy a new computer every 3-4 years. Over the long run, I'd probably save more money keeping my computer longer and selling it myself when I no longer need it, than get a new one every 2 years, discount or no.

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
This is completely a guess. I read that a Dell plant in Texas can make 100,000 computers in a day. Let's guess that Foxconn can make 30,000 iMacs in a day. Let's say that release day inventory needs to be 2,500,000.
So... it would take Foxconn 83 days to meet that quota. So if the Ivy Bridge processors were released April 29, then the target date would be July 21. Move forward to the next Tuesday you have July 24.

This is all complete garbage guessing.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
I don't buy it. The MBP, sure. But the iMac? Apple didn't release any new systems with Snow Leopard or Lion, and Lion doesn't have anything revolutionary enough to require new hardware.

My vote is still for May 15th for a quiet refresh.

Are there any rumours of a may 15th launch ?

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
This is completely a guess. I read that a Dell plant in Texas can make 100,000 computers in a day. Let's guess that Foxconn can make 30,000 iMacs in a day. Let's say that release day inventory needs to be 2,500,000.
So... it would take Foxconn 83 days to meet that quota. So if the Ivy Bridge processors were released April 29, then the target date would be July 21. Move forward to the next Tuesday you have July 24.

This is all complete garbage guessing.

Not a bad theory. But let's look back a year. In 2011 Q2 Apple sold 1 million desktop units, and in Q3 they sold 1,15 million units. So release day inventory doesn't need to be anywhere near 2.5 million. :)

Source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/07/19Apple-Reports-Third-Quarter-Results.html

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
In the past, what kind of gap between updated processors, other PC makers shipping new processors and Apples release dates? Are we looking at days, weeks or months?

I did this analysis going back to 2006 in another thread. Many releases were virtually simultaneous with the CPU, but some had significant gaps. 2011 was notable for being many months after the CPU because it was waiting for the Thunderbolt chipset.

PC2MAC2012

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
I did this analysis going back to 2006 in another thread. Many releases were virtually simultaneous with the CPU, but some had significant gaps. 2011 was notable for being many months after the CPU because it was waiting for the Thunderbolt chipset.

Thank you. I think that is interesting, Intel release happened 2 Tuesdays ago. Is there any rumored component(s) still outstanding? The only solid rumors I see state June/July? :(

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Thank you. I think that is interesting, Intel release happened 2 Tuesdays ago. Is there any rumored component(s) still outstanding? The only solid rumors I see state June/July? :(

The only rumor I've seen that would suggest a reason for a delay was that they were getting the video drivers certified. The AMD 7970m that would be used in the top-end model came out after the Ivy Bridge CPU. I haven't seen anything relating to missing components.

You're right that there are many rumors pointing to June/July, but those have been attempting to marry it to Mountain Lion, which makes no sense at all.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
So let's scale it back to right about... WWDC.

Now, now, don't be pessimistic! :D

1 million units in a quarter, let's say that's 333k per month, and let's say they have 400-500k units sell during release week, with 30k units a day, that's around 2 weeks, which would fit in with May 15 perfectly.

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
Now, now, don't be pessimistic! :D

1 million units in a quarter, let's say that's 333k per month, and let's say they have 400-500k units sell during release week, with 30k units a day, that's around 2 weeks, which would fit in with May 15 perfectly.

I think I could make it to May 15.

Duckypoos

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
I have my spec selected ... But I am holding off just until midday next Wednesday ( 16th ) , then , if no refresh is forthcoming , the trigger is getting pulled ... :)

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Let's say new iMacs comes out the 15th, would this be the first time in Apple history that a new product has been released with this current lack of rumors beforehand, or has that happened before?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The only rumor I've seen that would suggest a reason for a delay was that they were getting the video drivers certified. The AMD 7970m that would be used in the top-end model came out after the Ivy Bridge CPU. I haven't seen anything relating to missing components.

You're right that there are many rumors pointing to June/July, but those have been attempting to marry it to Mountain Lion, which makes no sense at all.

They might be switching over to optical thunderbolt too.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
I have a hard time believing they'd delay a product launch because a game is coming out that day.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Are there any rumours of a may 15th launch ?

No, that's a personal guess, based on availability of the most likely components (Radeon 7xxxM processors, and Ivy Bridge), and the Mother's Day promotion currently running until the 13th, along with some inventory shrinking in Europe going on.

It could certainly happen later, but I'd be very surprised if it happened later than WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.