when will ML come preinstalled on MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by livebackwards, Jul 25, 2012.

1. livebackwards macrumors member

Title says it all.
    I'd like to order the MBP with ML and not have to upgrade later

thanks

2. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

what difference does it make if you get a redemption code to upgrade or if it comes bundled with it?

You can do a clean install anyway.

3. livebackwards thread starter macrumors member

Not much but its just one extra thing I'd have to do on a long list of stuff I need to configure on it already.
    Just one less thing to do.

4. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I would think that any mac ordered today and after will have ML installed.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Soon. No one really knows. Some people could receive the machine loaded with ML today, and two weeks from now you may receive one with Lion. It all depends. But it's probably the least invasive OS X upgrade ever. It will take a VERY short amount of time once you have the file downloaded to install. And you can do it clean if you choose.

6. ryane67 macrumors member

mine is preparing for shipment today so i'll let you know :p

7. livebackwards thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know how long it took for pervious OSX releases?
    Not a big thing. I'll probably end up ordering today.
    I am very excited this will be my First Macbook Pro. (coming from Windows)

8. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I feel you buddy, I am in the same boat. I think you will see an update on Apple.com when you view the MBPs OS under Specs. But it very well could be random.

9. livebackwards thread starter macrumors member

Coming from windows I really want the apple Experience of opening up the box and it just works.

Not the "open it up. Download the update, install the update ..... Windows Experience"

10. ryane67 macrumors member

same, this is my first mac. the last thing I want to do is have to update as soon as I open the box.

11. livebackwards thread starter macrumors member

Well I just ordered mine. what did you order?
    I got a 15 Macbook pro (not retina) with anti glare Hi Res Screen

12. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I think anything ordered after July 25th (2012) will have ML preinstalled.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

considering for Lion they ran the free up to date program for months after lion was released i assume they cover they asses by knowing some models with the previous OS could be in circulation

14. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Well I agree, but I said after the 25th because on Apple.com ML free upgrade is only valid for purchases made between June 11th - July 25th, so it obviously draws the conclusion that an order placed after the 25th will not qualify for an update ergo it will have ML preinstalled.

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

From Apple

Ergo it seems that Macs bought after the 26th could have Lion preinstalled.

16. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I don't know why, but I just hate you so much...

17. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

They'll have to free all the Lion MPB in stock before shipping the ones preinstalled with Mountain Lion and only Apple knows how long would it take, so who knows.

18. NStocks macrumors 65816

It looks to me like they have changed the desktop wallpapers when you entree the store on the MacBooks, but not on the iMac. It doesn't specifically state however that it ships with ML, like it use to in the past... If you scroll down however, it says ships with mountain lion :) Apple online chat also confirmed this.

19. HighEndMac, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

HighEndMac macrumors regular

Thats cool, in the U.S. here so maybe we still need to wait a bit cuz i dont see that. Good news though.

** Update: I see the update OS from Lion to ML in the specs, but not the "Shipped with ML" part. I think the Apple US site is being updated now.

***Update: Yes you are right, new orders will be shipped with ML! (Thats what one person said) Another said it could take 2-3 weeks. Another said its 50/50. so......

20. NStocks macrumors 65816

I just went to checkout and it says ships with Lion, despite there being a mountain lion wallpaper...

I'm going to wait.

21. HighEndMac, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

HighEndMac macrumors regular

Yep, i see it as well, i know its not a big deal at all, but i just want it. One less thing to do.

I am guessing a week. But its all guessing @ this point.

22. NStocks macrumors 65816

Exactly and from a sale point of view, it's one newer OS printed on the box if that makes sense? And, like you say, it's just one less thing to do.

23. PCWebbJR macrumors member

I called the Apple...

They said if you order a computer online July 25th or later it should come with ML, otherwise you'd just get the free upgrade code.

24. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Depends on supply and where you get it from.

If it's from an Apple Retail Store, and you go today, you will probably get Lion, as they have leftover computers with Lion installed. They usually don't open the boxes and install software updates on previous inventory, however, I have seen it done once when a new iLife came out. They opened all the boxes, installed the new software and closed them back up.

The boxes now are sealed in plastic though, so they won't do that. So you'd most likely be getting lion for sure. If you order online, you're less likely to get Lion as it may be more likely for you to get a newly built machine. Even more like if you have BTO machine.

If you are hellbent on never having Lion near your device, then you'll want to wait a week... And also get checked into a mental institution.

25. Laai macrumors member

What is the point in waiting for preinstalled ML?
    Instead of getting a rMBP now and spending 15 minutes on installing the new OS, people are willing to wait few days in order "not to waste time on installing the new system". I do not understand the logic...