Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday's "Time Flies" Apple event saw the release of the Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, iPad 8, and iPad Air 4, but no new iPhone models. Rumors before the event strongly alleged that it would not see the unveiling of new iPhones, with many reports pointing to an October launch.

iPhone-12-Feature-Image-1.jpg

The lack of new iPhone models yesterday seems to confirm that the iPhone 12 lineup will not appear until October. In recent weeks, multiple rumors, including some from Apple's supply chain, have said that the iPhone 12 models will arrive in October.

During an earnings call earlier this year, Apple CFO Luca Maestri confirmed that the new iPhones will be released later than usual. The statement remained indistinct about the exact release date, simply saying that the devices will be "available a few weeks later" than usual. Last year's iPhone 11 was officially announced on September 10, 2019 and wasn't available until September 20th, 2019.

Apple often holds two events in the fall, with the first typically being for new iPhones and Apple Watches, and the second being for other hardware such as Macs and iPad Pros. This year, it seems that Apple has probably swapped the iPhone from the first event to the second event to account for its delays in manufacturing.

A brief moment in Apple's "Time Flies" event promoting the updated iPad highlighted the date of Wednesday, September 30.

Although the video clip probably does not constitute a leak, this fleeting part of Apple's event has been generating speculation on the significance of September 30. Past precedent suggests that Apple does not hold events on Wednesdays, so the date may ultimately be of no consequence.

Apple did unveil the Apple Watch Series 6 in a number of new finishes, including a blue color. Several rumors have alleged that the iPhone 12 will arrive in a new blue finish, so this now seems more likely. Apple also explained that they would not be shipping new Apple Watches with power adapters, lending credence to similar rumors about the iPhone 12.

For a summary of all iPhone 12 rumors to date, see our comprehensive iPhone 12 roundup.

Article Link: When Will the iPhone 12 Launch? Here's What We Know

Last edited:
We will save a billion pounds of fossil fuels by not shipping charging adapters...also 300,000,000 $$$$
LOL!

i wonder if the charger will be included with High End Pro Max Models.
[automerge]1600262658[/automerge]
Exactly. The iPad Air that they presented is also not releasing soon. Instead of all the self-aggrandising fluff, they could have used the event time much more efficiently and preempt some upcoming cool hardware.
You are in Apple’s world now. They set the rules not the consumers

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Well I got a new iPhone 11 last year, so I am good for a couple of more years. hopefully the US economy will get back to normal next year freeing up more credit and personal discretionary spending for consumers. I decided to put off my Apple Watch 6 upgrade to next year, even with the Apple payment plan. I have the new Quicken Premier 2020 that helps with budgeting and financing. The only thing I am going to get soon is the Facebook Oculus Quest. I am going to be doing VR demos of the new products and having a unit to work with at home will help with the sales.

My friend just order a space grey Apple Watch 6.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Will the budget iPhone 12 5.4” colors follow that of the light colors of the new iPad Air? If so, it will get me to forget about the midnight blue! Still hoping for an iPhone 12 Pro 5.4” model however! I think it will be announced October 15th and be available the 30th for the 6.1” sizes and 5.4” size November 15th and the 6.7” on December 6.

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
iPad Air will probably launch the same time as the iPhone's 12 with the A14 chip.

The reason they introduce it now probably because it would make the Apple Event only half an hour discussing the new Apple Watch if they weren't discussing the iPad's.

Apple wouldn't lose sales I think by announcing the iPad Air early and available next month not like an iPhone if it were introduce yesterday.

Reactions: cmluna90

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Maybe the delay to add the fingerprint power ID button.

I'd like having TouchID on the power button in addition to FaceID.
But I can also imagine a future SE without home button and smaller bezels. No FaceID to cut costs, but it would look better than current SE.

Still don't understand why they couldn't introduce them. Surely they have advanced production models for internal testers.

Sure they have, but why would they show us an iPhone and then tell us to wait a month to pre order?
They had to do it with iPhone X, because iPhone 8 was ready so they had to show them both at the same event. This time no iPhone is ready, so they just wait to show them so at least one model is available to order right after the event

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I would argue they are not actually being released until November considering the new Air was announced yesterday and doesn’t even have a clear launch date in October yet.

i just hope they release a Dark Blue iPhone 12 Pro to go with the Series 6 watch I just ordered ?

This is also my thought. That coupled with the fact they are releasing IOS14 today makes me think the iPhones are delayed further.

Reactions: cmluna90

Greatness617

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017
Off topic a bit but i see the black stainless steel with the woven new band is the hot go to!!
i placed my order around 3pm and the estimated ship date is Nov 12-19th.
if i don't get one by Oct i will just cancel and hold on to my series 4 i have a feeling there is not a big difference and a higher power wants me to save money for PS5 lol

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.