Where are the iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by edry.hilario, Jun 20, 2012.

1. edry.hilario, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

ok im so sick and tired of these new MPR news, like "omfg i can connect 3 displays", omfg the display is so awesome, omfg its fast, omfg this, that, this that" **** already ok we get it its an awesome machine get over yourselves, where are the imacs news, NO ONE is talking about them... they way over due and none of the rumors sites say anything about them because they are too busy jerking off to the new macbook pro.. am i right?? Seriously.. what do you guys think... so so pissed about it.. :mad:

2. Sean* macrumors newbie

Sean*

3. dayloon macrumors 6502

Lmao. What a legend. I have to admit that the lack of proper news is starting to really frustrate me as well.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ya ? Try being a mac pro owner.

5. dayloon macrumors 6502

I actually laughed out loud. You have a good point!!

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

They're buried under the three dozen other threads running on this subject.

7. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

the funny thing is that i actually need a mac pro not an imac but since apple is taking their sweet ass time and forget about the pro users. now i dont have a machine to work on i wont go a buy a laptop nor im going the windows route or hackingtosh... the desktop line were way more over due than the laptops and they always leave those for last.. Apple has pissed me off so much.. i have so many projects on hold and i would not throw away my money by buying a 2010 mac pro or 2011 imac not a chance.. then these websites are the same as apple they have so many articles about the newest laptop and iphone and ipad and even apple tv set **** but the desktop line noooo forget about those ...

8. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I'm fairly frustrated too. I'm running on borrowed time with the hard drive on my current machine and I need the performance for the price and screen size of a desktop. There pretty much aren't any good options other than waiting.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

This may be a trash talking and profane thread. But I got the point and I agree.

Macbook Pro/Air become the only Macintosh gains all momentum today, along with iOS devices. And I never like Macbook that much, well at least not as my main computer. Not even with retina display.
    Still I own an MBA, but it's far away from being used as primary machine.

Desktop still should be around for some time. Yes, iMac still use mobility GPU up to now, but it's still a better GPU compare to what you could ever find on MBP/MBA.

Until something can really compete with desktop, Macbook will always be my secondary computer.

So I despise people saying iMac is just a giant Macbook.

• Do you get 4 RAM slots on Macbook? Yes MBP can get 16GB of RAM today, big deal! iMac can do up to 32GB then (and self-upgradeable too). What's the point?
    • Do you get 6770M GPU on entry level $1000 MB Pro or even Air?
    • Do you get desktop chip with your iMac? Yeah Geekbench may show mobile CPU gets similar result as desktop one, but does it has stamina? Doing job in the long run without being overheated?
    • Do you get cheap 1TB 7200rpm HDD on Macbook?
    • Okay .. people saying HDD is so 2008, well iMac can have BOTH HDD and SSD at the same time. Can Macbook do that?

Let alone MacPro, Macbook is still far away to compete with iMac. Size does matter and being bigger always means something. Maybe in 2 3 years Macbook will perform equally as desktop today. But by then desktop will have something else. It's always a chasing game and notebook always one or two steps behind.

10. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

EXACTLY!! i dont mean to come off so much as trash talking its just.. it really bothers me that apple main concern is the mobil line of products i could understand why (because thats where they make the most money) but really??? i love how they say somthing along the lines.. "were not here to make money but to provide the best for our costumers" really ??? look at the macpro really do you really care apple?... not really. They wanted people without thinking to go buy this new shinny laptop thats why they didny want to announce the imacs at wwdc because they wanted that for people who neeeded a computer to go buy the MPR. Thats their main focus to make people go buy these laptops so they go an say "oh look our desktop line is doing bad" well of course .. its really frustrating.

11. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

Try being an XServe owner ...

12. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I just saw a whole pack of wild iMacs running down the street. A couple of geeks from the Apple store were chasing them, but it appears they got away.

;)

13. Rayxxy macrumors newbie

Wow... Srysly chill.

Well, I been also waiting for a mac. But theres no need to get all pissed and stuff, just chill. Just stay clam and be normal.... Like me! :D

14. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

I'm agree, but in reality, it may not stand up. I am thinking more and more, to buy a Retina 15" - the base one - and get an OK 24" IPS style monitor, for instance the Dell that can cost $340 on discount. Forget 27" of Apple quality - may as well wait for the iMac. But for graphics and photo colour, I could use the Retina. And for everything else, use the other monitor. The Dell even rotates into giant A4 mode (something some third party mac monitors used to do back the early late 80s early '90s Motorola days).

I'll reply point by point:

[*]Do you get 4 RAM slots on Macbook? Yes MBP can get 16GB of RAM today, big deal! iMac can do up to 32GB then (and self-upgradeable too). What's the point?

You don't need >16MP. And, you don't. You only need over 8GB for heavy - really heavy - video encoding, or multi-file graphical work. And even then, the speed differential from 8 to 16 is less than 10%. And if you need RAM to keep 30 apps open - the SSD will virtualize faster than any HDD based iMac. No problem either ..

[*]Do you get 6770M GPU on entry level $1000 MB Pro or even Air?

The comparison with iMacs is with the 15" machines - so forget less than 15.4" comparisons.

[*]Do you get desktop chip with your iMac? Yeah Geekbench may show mobile CPU gets similar result as desktop one, but does it has stamina? Doing job in the long run without being overheated?

Actually its disturbing that notebooks are now as fast. So ... perhaps the power saving has resulted in no differentials in speed? The iMac that was on the new price list for Australia, that was correct all across the board except for the iMac not being released, showed a bottom level iMac, that was slower than the entry Retina powerbook. And you save electricity with a powerbook.

[*]Do you get cheap 1TB 7200rpm HDD on Macbook?

Ever tried taking today's iMac's apart? Sorry - the solution is connecting an external disk.

[*]Okay .. people saying HDD is so 2008, well iMac can have BOTH HDD and SSD at the same time. Can Macbook do that?

Firstly, what a rip-off is the dual SSD / HDD option. Secondly - answer: Of course - Retina ships standard with SSD. So connect as many drives as you like. And they'll be dirt cheap, because they are USB-3. Recently - post Thailand floods - it was cheaper to buy a USB-3 drive and case, than to buy the internal drive alone. USB-3 drives are cheap. And you can back up stuff that way too ... which you need to think about with an iMac.

15. cypress822 macrumors regular

Respectfully disagree

----------

AMEN!!!!! Can I have another amen from anyone?!?!?!?!
    Well said!!!!!!

----------

You saw them too???!!! I saw them running away from the mall down the freeway...left the apple staff in the dust!

16. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

The only advantage a MBP has over the iMac is portability but I don't need that. I use my computer at my desk, I'm actually in the process on building a new desk for my new iMac to live on.

I really hope we hear something good before July 23, my birthday. I really want to replace my 2005 G5 PM!

I know Apple won't announce anything before they are ready to ship as people (in the know) will stop buying the current model but we really need a sign from Apple!

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ugh... I will respond to a couple things here. For one, ram is a weird thing. There's how much ram can you get by on compared to at what point do you stop seeing any benefit. Some users can get by on 4GB, yet they would still see a benefit from much more even with an SSD. You're completely making up numbers with the 8 to 16. It's not less than 10%. It's a matter of if you're going outside of ram, and if you are how often? There are a few limited areas where you simply can't load things without real memory. Prior to 64 bit application builds, they required different workloads to remain within memory limits. Also keep in mind that it's not consistent. If you do actually hit pageouts, you can experience a much slower hiccup prone computer during that time. This has nothing to do with an amortized gain in overall speed.

On displays you should really do some reading. Apple is not automatically a prime choice for what you described, and they haven't released a display with a reasonably stable profile in the last decade. It's just that technology has gotten to a point where they're good enough for a lot of people, but then again so is the Dell. I wouldn't make assumptions which is better based on misplaced brand loyalty. If this moves on to the subject of calibration, profiling != calibration. Apple (and Dell as far as I'm aware) displays have no real hardware adjustment functions beyond their presets and backlight adjustments. Rewriting their profile with whatever $100 colorimeter is not the same as setting display levels. Most of the capability of that display is set when they're manufactured, and this goes well beyond the sticker or panel brand used inside it.

I dislike all of the assumptions when you're not even providing good information.

18. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

amen a thousand times brother!!! i'm sick of this nonsense as well. My birthday is July 1st and i will reward myself by ordering a maxed 21.5" imac that day. it will probably arrive around the middle of July. i then have two weeks to see if apple refreshes the lineup with ML. if not, then at least i will have a beast of a machine that i will have enjoyed for several weeks instead of continuing to play this ridiculous waiting game that apple is forcing upon. Screw all the folks who say apple is not making us do anything! Yes they are because no one wants to pay a premium price for outdated technology that should've been updated months ago! You and everyone else has every right to be enraged at this point :mad:

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, them darned Macrumors news people, just sitting there with tons of juicy details about the new iMacs on their desks and choosing not to post about it. :rolleyes:

20. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love your sarcasm, you really don't get it ? Macrumors and the other sites are not making an efford to figure out stuff since they have a giant bouner
    Over these new MacBooks if they didn't have that I bet they w

----------

I love your sarcasm, you really don't get it ? Macrumors and the other sites are not making an efford to figure out stuff since they have a giant bouner
    Over these new MacBooks if they didn't have that I bet they would start researching and asking their sources but since they have "news" they dont make the effort to find out any news on anything. Tell me how could they possibly have news about the next iPhone since almost right after the iPhone 4s came out not the Mac pro or iMacs. All they kept posting was stuff like oh they might discontinue them or were not gonna get them until next year these rumors sites love apple and love their apples iToys nothing else really apple doesn't care about the pro users. How many times have the laptops have been updated and no updates to the Mac pro huh ???

(Sorry for the missed spells and other stuff I was typing on my iPhone since I don't have a computer)

21. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

They weren't wild iMacs, they escaped from the design labs at Apple. Due to their small size, I would say they're running OS X Ocelot, still in development.

22. Hakone macrumors 6502a

C'mon folks, Apple has minimal gains on releasing all new things at once.

Macbooks in June, then hopefully iMacs/Mini/Pro(one could wish) in the fall w/ the iPhone, then maybe new iPad in winter.

Patience, we'll get there! (in the market for an iMac myself)

23. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Everyone is thinking it, OP is just saying it LMAO

good on you OP. I am frustrated as well. I am trying to decide whether to get the current iMac, pc or next iMac but no freaking news just makes my decision blind.

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree with you on both points.

1) These type of people seem highly coveted by forums. Generally younger with no desire other than to attack others, bash other products and ideas, they fulfill an important need for Apple

2) Waiting can be frustrating yet it's an Apple tradition. They operate on their time in complete secret.

25. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

1) people talking without knowing anything about me...

im not a "younger with no desire other than to attack others" fo your information i am a pro user i do high intensive work on apples machines i do video editing. i need a powerful machine im not just talking just to talk the mac pros have been neglected for how long now ?? thats right.. 2010 components and the worse slap in the face was the so called "update" after wwdc. now apple is pushing us to the imac but wont release them because why ?? they want to sell their new shinny laptop.. a laptop that i cant put more than 16 gb of ram or i cant do any upgrades what so ever. REALLY ??? get informed before you talk Im a pro user i need a desktop i bought tons of apple software that now i cant use what am i suppose to do throw those away too because apple just want to release their iToys. i dont think so

2)
    just one thing.. apple used to be all about their pro users ok if you know about any history mac pros used to get more updates but after all these iToys came around theres no more suppor for us.

Im not ranting just to be upsed or trash talk im just saying the truth and expressing my frustration.