Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
We had no TV until Kennedy's assassination...My father would not have one in the house but caved for the funeral. TV sets were a luxury item back in the day...now you get 3D, Internet etc. etc. for relative peanuts..:)

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
BBC
The Economist
Al Jazeera English
Detroit Free Press
New York Times
Google Top News Stories
Twitter feeds of most of these outlets

Mostly got my news from Google Reader, but that's slowly being weened out. I remember when The Economist dropped from it - sad days. Now Google is killing it off. I'll have to find an alternative not named Huffington Post to satisfy my news needs, but it's not hard going to individual sites - just less convenient.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
News?

I'm a digital subscriber to the New York Times. Simply the best daily newspaper in the world. Yeah - it has a lot of NY-local news that doesn't do me much good. But it also has the cultural/arts/fashion/food/entertainment stuff my local rag couldn't possibly provide. A digital subscription works great for me, for two reasons: One, I don't have to drag a stack of old newsprint to the curb every week. And I don't miss an issue when I'm traveling.

I the car I listen to NPR: Morning Edition and All Things Considered to and from work. Car Talk, Weekend Edition, Terry Gross, etc. the rest of the time.

Daily I take a look at Gizmodo and ARS-Technica; Wired and Slate for trending tech. news. Andrew Sullivan's Dish for cultural/political/social commentary/stuff I might otherwise miss.

I almost NEVER watch TV news anymore. The daily 6 pm news shows are too late, and too "packaged" to be of much interest. "Breaking" news (i.e. CNN, MSNBC, etc.) are frankly tiresome 99.9% of the time. And my local 6 pm and 10 pm broadcasts seem to feature a lot of local sports and weather I just don't give a rip about. (I care about both, but get my actual "news" from sources that don't force me to sit through commercials and inane filler.)

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Besides not having time for TV, I can't stand all the bias or the constant commercials. The other fundamental flaw with the news shows is that it's too much what people want to hear and not enough what we need to hear. I usually listen to news on the radio a bit on the way to work or hit a few web sites and call it a day.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Google News in the morning.
MacRumours of course.
BBC, CBC,
Globe and Mail - though that will end soon... It's becoming very, um, 'light'.
New York Times online.
At night it's the CBC National online.

During the day often CBC radio two, or if there is something happening CBC radio one.

We don't have cable, so all news comes as either radio or online. Radio can be online or broadcast.

Oh, and the local weekly paper... newsprint of course.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
I'll have to check out Flipboard. I'm not so crazy about the big American outlets. They all seem like they have their own slant on things. What American outlet is the least biased, in your opinion?

That is a pretty difficult question since we all have our own built in bias.

I don't really pay too much attention to non tech news now but I do listen to bloggingheads most days. It has 30-60 minute discussions between pairs of people who to varying degrees disagree. Get both sides and make up your own mind. A lot of it is current affairs based but it is taking a longer term view than the daily news cycle.

http://bloggingheads.tv/

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Usually Fox when I'm in the mood to watch news. It's at the very least entertaining.

I get my sports results on-line.

When a news outlet seems impartial, that just means you agree with what they are reporting. Every news outlet has a slant (the people working in them all have opinions).

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Don't watch much TV news, get it mostly from the internet. CNN, USA Today, Fox News, Bloomberg, and local news stations.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
BBC; Guardian; (sometimes, also the Telegraph); The Irish Times; Al Jazeera.

In addition, I subscribe to The Economist, the Eurasia Daily Monitor, and the Moscow Times.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2012
Hello all,

I'm 27 and have recently decided I need to start paying attention to the news, no matter how depressing it can be, because I work in real estate and current events, etc. are always coming up, and I'm always like "Oh, I have no idea what you're talking about.", and then I look like an uneducated idiot.

So, I would like to know where people get their news, because I am wondering what the best option is. I live in Florida, but obviously want world news as well. I am aware of the major American and British news agencies, but I don't know if there are alternative news sources that might be better.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

steiney
Annonomos puts out pretty reliable news. http://anonnews.org/ not news on everything but it is pretty good. Besides that I watch some Fox and local stations

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Brian Williams is probably the only television newsman left in the same vein as Cronkite or Huntley Brinkley.

+1 here as well, we watch him through the podcast app on the iPad every morning.

As for other news sources, I use Flipboard on a daily basis. So much, that my internet history on my laptop now constitutes of Funny or Die and/or The Daily Show :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.