Where have you used Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hpman247, Oct 20, 2014.

1. hpman247 macrumors regular

Just got back from McDonalds. Worked great. I want to try it at my local grocery store that has NFC, but is not on the list. Mostly, I'm just curious if anyone is able to use Apple Pay at places that Apple hasn't announced?

Just placed my order, once she gave me the total, the phone was sleeping, I didn't press anything, just moved the phone close to the NFC Terminal, my default card popped up, put my finger on the TouchID, and that was that.

The questions I had to answer from people in line with me after using it were priceless. It was like everyone was just stunned this is possible hahahaha.

2. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

I wanna try it too but guess I have to wait couple of more years to try that :mad:

3. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Yes, a guy in another thread used it on a vending machine. This is not on Apple's "List". It is mainly the bank/credit company that needs to support it, not the retailer.

4. SMELTN macrumors regular

SMELTN

I used it at CVS here locally and CVS was NOT on the list of places. Worked great

5. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Apple only "announced" a few companies that use NFC already in all of their stores. There are many, many more. I wouldn't expect Apple to keep a list of companies that support NFC. That would be impossible.

6. PN4 macrumors member

I've used it on the vending machines at my work. Now that I'm keeping my eyes open for NFC I'm not seeing it much. I went to Publix, Sonoco, and Arby's with no luck.

7. WaveGawd macrumors newbie

Walgreens & Mcdonalds.

both worked like a charm, walgreen has a few extra steps but at MCD the whole transaction was like 2 seconds

8. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Just used Apple Pay with the vending machine at work. Worked like a charm! :cool:

9. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I used it at a vending machine at work and also at Panera last night. Worked great! :apple:

10. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I went to Panera yesterday, DH went to Walgreen's and we took the kids to McDonald's. Worked great @ all 3 places.

11. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I loved using it at McDonald's this morning to get my coffee. So smooth and easy and fast.

Have yet to try it anywhere else but will soon.

12. airbelchris macrumors regular

13. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

14. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Whats that?

15. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

It's basically Walgreens(same company) in New York.

16. BlendedFrog macrumors regular

This has me quite confused and a bit worried. Lots of people have reported this working on non-apple pay nfc terminals. How is this possible?

I live at home depot, which has nfc terminals but aren't apple pay ones. Anyone know if it will work there?

17. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I've used it at McD's and at a vending machine at my work, which is weird because they specifically say they use Softcard. But Apple Pay worked great.

18. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

The card reader does not have to be Apple Pay specific, it just has to have the NFC adapter that has the sideways looking wifi symbol. You just need Apple Pay certified banks so that way you can add your credit card. So if you have some random card it wont be put into Passbook.

19. OriolesMagic macrumors member

20. bozzykid macrumors 68020

There is no such thing as a non-apple pay terminal or even an apple pay terminal. There are just NFC terminals. Whether they slap a Apple Pay sticker next to the Google Wallet and Paypass sticker will not make it work any differently. If NFC is enabled on the terminal, then it will work with Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc.

21. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I just used it at Walgreens. It was so quick and seamless. The process took seconds, even faster than my card swipe. The cashier said, "Oh cool. You paid with your phone!"

22. philipk macrumors 6502

Your are correct. However, the keyword is "enabled".

There are teminals with the Paypass sticker that are not enabled as per Apple support.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6534?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

23. airbelchris macrumors regular

24. RXDI macrumors newbie

RXDI

Tried :apple: Pay at Circle-K this morning. Card was declined twice. Pull card out and put through CC reader and same card worked no problem. Circle-K must not be accepting Apple Pay yet.

25. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Sure. But those are rare. There are only a few companies that do this. Most are doing it to avoid having to pay higher fees. Many of them assumed the fees for using NFC would go down over time but they haven't. You can usually tell if it doesn't work as it will not light up when you put your phone to it.