Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
def gets smudges and marks, lay off the kfc and should be good on the grease lol
My issue with the Apple silicone isn’t the fingerprints as much as the fact that it starts coming apart so quickly, first peeling on the corners, followed shortly by chunks falling out… lol.

IMG_4824.jpeg

Last edited:

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
My issue with the Apple silicone isn’t the fingerprints as much as the fact that it starts coming apart so quickly, first peeling on the corners, followed shortly by chunks falling out… lol.

View attachment 2341977
Man that is rough. I've owned probably 10 silicone cases from Apple over the years and I've never had chunks come out like this. The only time I had issues with it are after I dropped it multiple times

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Bros dog ate his case and says chunks started falling out lol
Sorry, but nope. My wife, who drops her phone fairly frequently, can destroy the Apple silicone as above in a couple of months. They really don’t hold up well compared to every other case she’s used. Of course, if a person doesn’t drop their phone then anything at all will work.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry, but nope. My wife, who drops her phone fairly frequently, can destroy the Apple silicone as above in a couple of months. They really don’t hold up well compared to every other case she’s used. Of course, if a person doesn’t drop their phone then anything at all will work.

So the case did its job. Could have clarified how it happened and not just said the case doesn’t hold up.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
So the case did its job. Could have clarified how it happened and not just said the case doesn’t hold up.
A case should last more than two months regardless of whether or not it was dropped. As I said, they don’t hold up well compared to every other case she has used. There’s no need to defend a poorly engineered, overpriced product.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
A case should last more than two months regardless of whether or not it was dropped. As I said, they don’t hold up well compared to every other case she has used. There’s no need to defend a poorly engineered, overpriced product.
Well you if she has the dropsies. I’ve known people and have and and are currently running the Apple silicone with not much issues. I agree the durability isn’t as good as non silicone cases but it’s the nature of a silicone case like Apple’s.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Are the Apple silicone cases a fingerprint/smudge/grease magnet?
Yep def smudges. I would say better than other cases that are smudge magnets. When I had the Storm blue didn’t show much fingerprints and smudges and wiped off easily.

However if you can get over that IMO opinion it’s best form factor, weight and buttons(maybe tied with Pitaka etc but nothing better) in the business hands down. I like how the buttons are almost flush and the chamfered edges the same form as the naked iPhone.

IMO it’s the king of iPhone cases except the possible issue of smudges etc. I didn’t have much problems with lint because of the material of my pants and having a dedicated cell phone pocket.

Last edited:

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I received today the Arc Pulse in titan gray for my 15 pro yesterday. The concept and design are on point! The parts are so light, like there’s nothing to them (aluminum outer and elastomer inner). BTW, the parts weight 18g. They are attached securely, so no worries there.

Not the best grip and not the worst by far but just enough and the right places to grab it. Definitely more grip and grab than going naked.

The top piece is thicker depth wise than any case I’ve have/had. The bottom part is about as thick depth wise as my thickest case, the Caudabe Sheath. Using the Arc Pulse is darn close to naked iPhone, so the thickness should not be a factor.

Overall, I love this thing. I am sure I’ll get tons of compliments and “what the heck is that…” LOL!

Pricey for what it is, but I consider it iPhone jewelry. Gotta pay to play!

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I really hope they come out with a Nomad Sports case in a color I’ll like so I can spend $50+ on another case I don’t need
The build of the case is probably one of the best. I’m no stranger to cases and I’m immediately impressed by the build quality.

I’ve had Nomad cases in the past that often got replaced for something else.

But it’s hard to put this one down. The seams where the plastic and rubber meet is excellent. The quality and grip of the rubber is pretty premium. The buttons are also more shallow than the leather cases but not in a bad way. Still very “clicky” and responsive.

Only con I say is the plastic back does pick up oil but that’s just normal with plastic. Easily can wipe it down. The plastic back is also not slippery and seems robust.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
This is the exact same case as the Bare Armour. I'm sure Bare just throws their name on the side and charges $50. for a $5.00 China case.
I just checked Bare Armour’s website and that’s pretty ridiculous. Exact same case for $60. 💀

It’s a slippery one albeit nice case. Very lightweight but does feel more bulky than leather cases and the Nomad Sports case. The transparent back was an oil magnet.

Definitely has that Amazon case feel and quality. $20 at most. Can’t believe someone is up charging $60 for it.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
The build of the case is probably one of the best. I’m no stranger to cases and I’m immediately impressed by the build quality.

I’ve had Nomad cases in the past that often got replaced for something else.

But it’s hard to put this one down. The seams where the plastic and rubber meet is excellent. The quality and grip of the rubber is pretty premium. The buttons are also more shallow than the leather cases but not in a bad way. Still very “clicky” and responsive.

Only con I say is the plastic back does pick up oil but that’s just normal with plastic. Easily can wipe it down. The plastic back is also not slippery and seems robust.

What’s wild about the sport case is when you do wipe it down it gets more grippy. The sport case is top shelf. I just curse out Nomad privately for not giving me a bold orange color 😡

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
Someone here was asking about the RhinoShield Clear case, and I was having a hard time finding the post, so here it is. Just grabbed it. Changed the clear buttons it comes with for black ones and love it. This case has a nice grippiness on the back because of the material used, and the form factor is excellent in hand. Buttons are prob the best I’ve ever used. Not normally a clear case kind of guy, normally like a black border so when I view the screen I don’t see the clear edge, but I love this case. Can’t speak on scratching because I left the protective film that it ships with on for the first few days of use lol. OCD at its finest… also I prob should have wiped it down before taking pics, but this gives you a real idea of what it looks like under regular usage.
I've got the Rhinoshield Mod NX in Blue with Blue buttons. The buttons fit and work great, they were a little weird to put in but besides that they are super responsive and click nicely. I got it with an extra back plate with the intentions of painting something on it to decorate it myself, I haven't done this yet but am working on it in planning stage. I really can't say how grippy it is because I don't have anything to compare it with, although reading this thread everyday will most certainly remedy that sometime soon. lol. The only reason I picked that one was the fact that you could get an extra back and paint both backs differently to switch it up for variety. You all continue to tempt me daily and one of these days the temptation will be too great to ignore. :)

Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I've got the Rhinoshield Mod NX in Blue with Blue buttons. The buttons fit and work great, they were a little weird to put in but besides that they are super responsive and click nicely. I got it with an extra back plate with the intentions of painting something on it to decorate it myself, I haven't done this yet but am working on it in planning stage. I really can't say how grippy it is because I don't have anything to compare it with, although reading this thread everyday will most certainly remedy that sometime soon. lol. The only reason I picked that one was the fact that you could get an extra back and paint both backs differently to switch it up for variety. You all continue to tempt me daily and one of these days the temptation will be too great to ignore. :)
Don’t know anything about the Mod NX but I’ve tired and most likely most here have tried the Solid Suit which I call AKA Slippery Suit.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Does anyone have this case? Can they comment on if the lip around the camera is black or blue? The picture is hard to interpret…

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Does anyone have this case? Can they comment on if the lip around the camera is black or blue? The picture is hard to interpret…

Not sure if this is troll Sunday, but if you took the time to read the last few pages you'd see it's a $20 case at best being sold for close to $60

It would be a poor choice and waste of money

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Not sure if this is troll Sunday, but if you took the time to read the last few pages you'd see it's a $20 case at best being sold for close to $60

It would be a poor choice and waste of money
I actually bought a $20 case off Amazon, which looks similar, and it’s already falling apart. Maybe it’s not worth $55 to you, but this is the case I’m leaning towards. Also:

Thanks for your help though.

Reactions: thatappleguytoday
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.