Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tm3

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Considering just protection, not looks, are any cases equal to or superior to the Otterbox Defender? YouTube "reviews" seem to be just advertising, and while the Mous Limitless 5 has some impressive feats done in their ads they are, well ...... ads.

Thanks!

Reactions: rmadsen3

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
What case is everyone rockin right now?
Back in The Woody today. This case swapping carousel I’ve been on lately has my head spinning. o_O

IMG_1976.jpeg

Damo88

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2015
Does anyone know if Mous offer free returns? They have a 30 day returns policy but their site doesn’t say if the shipping is on the customer or not.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Considering just protection, not looks, are any cases equal to or superior to the Otterbox Defender? YouTube "reviews" seem to be just advertising, and while the Mous Limitless 5 has some impressive feats done in their ads they are, well ...... ads.

Thanks!
The Mous seems pretty legit. Just looking at the design it’s obviously highly protective. There are a few YouTubers who have done some pretty dramatic drop tests which basically back up the Mous ads:

These are older models, but the tech hasn’t changed much since then.

UAG rates their Monarch for 25 feet. If you hunt around you can likely find some drop tests. It seems to be at least as protective as the Defender.

Filip at EAP (Phone Rebel) does an annual 50 foot drop test. He hasn’t done one for the iPhone 15 yet, but he did one last year for the iPhone 14:

Ironically, both the Defender and the Monarch failed this test. His Phone Rebel and the Mous both passed, among others. At these heights, some of what determines the outcome is due to luck.

I think the Defender is a fine case, but it’s perhaps more bulky than it needs to be. It was arguably the first case that built a reputation around extreme protection and I feel like that narrative has stuck around even as some modern designs that are slimmer offer similar, if not superior, protection.

Reactions: rmadsen3

tm3

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
The Mous seems pretty legit. Just looking at the design it’s obviously highly protective. There are a few YouTubers who have done some pretty dramatic drop tests which basically back up the Mous ads:

These are older models, but the tech hasn’t changed much since then.

UAG rates their Monarch for 25 feet. If you hunt around you can likely find some drop tests. It seems to be at least as protective as the Defender.

Filip at EAP (Phone Rebel) does an annual 50 foot drop test. He hasn’t done one for the iPhone 15 yet, but he did one last year for the iPhone 14:

Ironically, both the Defender and the Monarch failed this test. His Phone Rebel and the Mous both passed, among others. At these heights, some of what determines the outcome is due to luck.

I think the Defender is a fine case, but it’s perhaps more bulky than it needs to be. It was arguably the first case that built a reputation around extreme protection and I feel like that narrative has stuck around even as some modern designs that are slimmer offer similar, if not superior, protection.
Great info, thank you! I'm going for the 15PM this time around so a case that is a little sleeker would be nice, as long as it protects as well (or even better than) the Otterbox Defender. I think I'll give the Mous a shot.

Reactions: Zensō

Damo88

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2015
Benks ArmorAir. Keep going back to this, love how grippy it is and the fact the sides are Aramid Fibre instead of TPU like the pro case. Super light at 26g and adds absolutely no bulk to the phone.

Reactions: Zensō

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Does anyone know if Mous offer free returns? They have a 30 day returns policy but their site doesn’t say if the shipping is on the customer or not.
In the past when I had a problem with a Mous case they always sent me a brand new one and did not even want the old one back.

Reactions: Zensō and Damo88

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
PR Crystal. I solved the problem with the case pushing off the WSKEN screen protector by adding a very small piece of toilet paper inside the edge of the case. It works fine, you don’t even see it. Very happy. I believe dbrand should give PR a call om how to handle scratches. I am using it for week and no scratches or scuffs. It’s a great case.

Reactions: off2marz

kadinh

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
pitaka customer service

I ordered the magez 4 off amazon and ended up returning it because it was very uncomfortable due to the edge by the charging port. I wrote a review saying that I really liked the case but the edge was a dealbreaker, so I sent it back and bought the magez 5.

I get an email from their CS apologizing for the 4, offered to send me a free magez pro case to try out (even though I already had tried it out before and didnt prefer the sharp edges). I’m not going to turn down a free case so I accepted their offer and got the case in the mail today. going to run it for a few days since there is no pressure to return it and see if my opinion changes.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
pitaka customer service

I ordered the magez 4 off amazon and ended up returning it because it was very uncomfortable due to the edge by the charging port. I wrote a review saying that I really liked the case but the edge was a dealbreaker, so I sent it back and bought the magez 5.

I get an email from their CS apologizing for the 4, offered to send me a free magez pro case to try out (even though I already had tried it out before and didnt prefer the sharp edges). I’m not going to turn down a free case so I accepted their offer and got the case in the mail today. going to run it for a few days since there is no pressure to return it and see if my opinion changes.
What do you mean by the edge? It is too sharp when holding it?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Now, please drop your phone 7 feet face down on concrete to see how the Synthesis protection compares to your Frosty
Couple weeks ago getting out of my high work vehicle with my phone in hand I slipped cause the step deck was slippery and my phone shot out about 6 ft and 6 ft high and tumbled on concrete. I was sure my phone was toast. To my amazement no damage at all. Sheath was damaged not bad enough to get another one. The Sheath did its job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.