Which design do you like better? iPhone 4 vs 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UltimaLink, Nov 6, 2010.

1. UltimaLink macrumors regular

I honestly prefer the 3GS's design a lot more, I don't know why. I just kinda like how it looks a bit retro but still retains a futuristic look. If I could have a 3GS with the retina display and front facing camera, I would take it in a heartbeat. Am I the only one?

2. strodda macrumors regular

so far yes.

in the beginning, i was still very used to the curvature of the 3g/s... but as time has gone on, i am totally over it. the 4g is just beautiful piece of electronics.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I like the 4 better. The squared edges and the glass back. It's just so sweet to look at. I haven't had anything more than a bumper (I now have an aluminum "bumper" on it) because I don't have the heart to cover up the back. I never cared about covering the back with my other 3 iPhones.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I prefer the iPhone 4 over the 3Gs. I like how it lays flat and therefor doesn't wobble when I use it while it is on a table.

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

iPhone 4

6. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

7. rawCpoppa macrumors regular

Prefer 4...it looks like it should be less comfortable to hold but in practice its back doesn't cause any problems. Heck on a table it doesn't move which is a plus.

8. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I like the look of the 4 over the 3, but prefer the function of the 3 over 4.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I like both better than anything else on the market

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I like them them both, but prefer the 3GS's curved sides. Although if I had a 4, it wouldn't take but a day to get used to and forget about the squared edges.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I love my iPhone 4, it looks great works great and the build quality is awesome. But whenever I pick up my old 3GS it feels so comfortable. If the 4 somehow had the same form factor, we would have the best of both worlds. Maybe the next iPhone model...?

13. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I like the iPhone 4 a lot better, but I'm not sure how much I like the back glass panel. I wonder how easy it scratches if I just keep it in my pants or if I carefully just place it on a table.

My friend's iPhone 4 looks stunning (mainly the screen) even when the display is off. I think the new iPhones/iPod Touches have a darker screen when its off. I think that looks really nice.

15. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Plastic, chrome = Cheap
    Glass, stainless steel = high quality

Even though the glass on the iPhone 4 is highly fragile it's still a beauty as far as design goes. The iPhone 4 has a high quality feel and look even though if dropped will easily shatter.

16. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

...this is why they need to make the faux-3G case like what Apple "hid" the iPhone 4 with during testing. Case makers, are you listening? I know the 4's design isn't for everyone, but I think that there are enough people out there that would buy it.

(I like the 4's design better, but that's just me)

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

TS, I'm intrigued on your definition of retro, could you elaborate? I don't think the 3GS is considered retro in design...

18. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

iPhone 4, no doubt.

19. longstrider macrumors newbie

I am obviously in the minority... but I prefer the rounded back of the iphone 3gs over the edges on the Iphone 4. That is the only thing that I like better, and wish they made a case to simulate the rounded back. My hands are very big, though, which I am certain is the reason for my preference.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think the iPhone 4 looks classier, but I'm not a fan of the glass back, which essentially doubles the chances that a fall will result in a crack, nick, break, etc.

21. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

With current specs I like the Iphone 4 better, but they could have kept the 3GS design and put a battery in that was 2-3x larger than whats in the iphone 4's design among other tasty things that could have made the phone much much better than it is now. I hope they don't try to go thinner in the next versions, its getting pretty ridiculous now

22. trajen macrumors 6502a

I always hated that ugly fake chrome bezel on the 3G/3GS but at least I didn't have to carefully set my iPhone down. I have a bumper on my 4 but I still worry about the glass back.

23. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I LOVE the look of the iPhone 4. Like it way more than my 3G. Love the steel on the sides and the flat back. Love the way it lays flat on a desk or table.

24. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

3GS easily.

a) The design enables me to be able to hold it anyway I want.
    b) I can drop it and not see the thing shatter to pieces.
    c) I prefer the rocker to the + - buttons.
    d) The glass on the front doesn't extend all the way to the edges.

25. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816