Which magazines did you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBH928, Jun 2, 2019.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

I used to love magazines, honestly I prefer the curated professional content over the click-bait. The problem is you don't get to choose which topics to read.

I know some are still in print but many are defunct.

Which magazines did you subscribe to/read?
    I want to know the popular movie magazines the only one I know is Empire, and was there ever a TV shows dedicated magazines?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

The first magazine I thought of dedicated to TV shows was "TV Guide". That may not be what you're asking about, but it's certainly a magazine dedicated to TV shows.

The second is the weekly "Soap Opera Digest". I'd see it at the "impulse buy" magazine stands next to grocery checkouts. Back when they had cashiers instead of customer-operated scanners.

I've never subscribed to either, so I don't know whether they're still around. I'd bet on SOD, though.

3. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Paid subscription, or simply any sort of a subscription?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Zero.

When I was younger, Rolling Stone. Later on, Men’s Health.

Now, none. Not enough value proposition for me.

5. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The Economist, The Financial Times as paid subscriptions.

There are a number of others which are not paid subscriptions.

6. millerj123 macrumors 65816

VW times, Consumer Reports, TV Guide, Fine Woodworking, Mac something... that all stopped at least 10 years ago.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I subscribe to the New Yorker and to National Geographic.

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

When I was younger, Ranger Rick was purchased for me by a good family friend. They also gave me their newspapers when they were done with them (NYT I think). This fueled my passion for reading as a little kid.

Anyway, when I got older, I got Time Magazine, Newsweek, WSJ, and Economist. This was right out of high school - read them for years and years and years. Briefly had Car and Driver.

I got rid of Time magazine when it started sending me **** and charging me for it unless I sent it back.

Newsweek went digital only and quality took a dump.
    WSJ just got too expensive.
    Economist - I really liked and kept for awhile, but had a 4+ hour daily commute for 7 years so I ended that.

--------------------------------------

I have Apple News+ but I'm not reading it enough to really justify the cost. On there I have MacLife, National Geographic, Smithsonian, New Yorker, Men's Health, Fortune, All About History, All About Space, Car and Driver, Entrepreneur, Popular Science, Scientific American, Wired.

Haven't read a single one back to back -- a few articles here and there over the last few weeks. Probably going to cancel.

---------------------------------------

I pay for Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com. - $50/year --- just so I don't have to deal with the ads and support some really great articles.

I wish I could pay for Economist but it's REALLY expensive. lol. $189/year.

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Magazines: back in the days of print editions only:

The New Republic (the old New Republic lol, the one published on newsprint)
    The New Yorker
    Harper's
    The Atlantic Monthly (before it lost its mind and moved to DC to write on politics)​

Now I take online editions of The Economist, National Review, The Progressive, The New Yorker, Harper's and The Paris Review. That last one is quarterly but its archives are online too, so I read stuff from the wayback there... same with the New Yorker and Harper's.

With The Economist I just try to keep up with downloads of current issues unless one comes along that I find spectacularly worth keeping; they have special issues sometimes that fall into that category.

On reviews of TV, movies, books and other arts and entertainment fare: I rely on papers like NYT, WaPo, LA Times, FT, WSJ, Guardian, that have sections devoted to the arts. And the Irish Times because they write about Irish writers! I'm interested in journalism so I spend some time in a few websites devoted to trends, best practices etc, like Nieman Labs, Columbia Journalism Review etc. Curious about trends in religion in the USA since the ascent of Trump, I read Christianity Today (evangelical Protestant) and America Magazine (Jesuit). pop in on The Forward (Jewish-American, progressive interests) and follow a few newspaper columns that focus on the nexus of politics and religion (WaPo, CSM).

And, I like to read what's up in PopMatters online too although not so much for TV or movies, mostly music. And.. yeah, Vogue... and Vanity Fair... and Rolling Stone, and Wired, and Ars Technica...

Once in awhile I get some work done and mop dust bunnies out from under the beds. :D

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Are the dust bunnies equally avid readers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The dust bunnies under the couch get to read my iPad when it slides from my sleeping hand to the floor, assuming they hop to it before the iPad realizes I've crashed again and shuts off the display. This is the main reason and perhaps the only reason I have carpet on that floor, and a case on the iPad...

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Smart move. The ones under my couch kidnapped the headphones I use on the beach and for exercising. I didn't find them again until they'd thoroughly mobbed the poor things. Mercifully, a simple wipe-down with mildly soapy water worked wonders. Also, pipe cleaners can be used for more than making cute caterpillars for assorted nieces.

13. Tech198 macrumors G5

Me neither... I used too though, but gave up when i found it was a waste of money,

Smart bunnies you have there.

14. Gutwrench, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Whisky, Bon Appetite, Aficionado*, Wine Spectator, and Saveur.

*I’m a non smoker and it was free from Total Wine & More because I’m an honorary Board of Directors member.

--- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    You stuck me as a MAD Magazine subscriber from the 70’s, but I don’t think you’re old enough...but maybe.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My coworker has a collection of Mad magazines. I was not privileged to be alive back in those days. He let me read one. Just amazing.

16. Nishant macrumors newbie

Car and Driver, Road and Track,. Popular Mechanics

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Entertainment Weekly, but I no longer subscribe to it. I too used to subscribe to several other magazines like Newsweek (before it went away), Atlantic Magazine, Popular Science, Reader’s Digest, and PC Gamer. My wife still subscribes to Vogue, Vanity Fair, and InStyle.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I forgot about MAD... but we took turns buying a copy for cash at the newsstand now and then. It was pretty funny even if some of the issues reminded me mostly of what it's like to have breakfast with a bunch of younger brothers.

19. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

There's a lot still in print. I prefer print over digital as well. One, I've loved graphic design since I was in high school* so I like to see the creative layouts and things folks present in magazines.

*Unfortunately, I epically failed with Quark Xpress and In Design changed too much for me to keep up.

I subscribed to Star Wars Insider and Writer's Digest at one point. A friend gave us a year subscription to Martha Stewart Living (which despite not being the key audience, I like the layouts). These days one of my peers passes along the many women's magazines she subscribes to us once she's done with them. I generally take the food magazines or something like Health.

When I was web designing, the U.K.'s Computer Arts was huge to me. I never subscribed, but bought a few issues a year on the newsstands. I do wish there was a beginner's digital art magazine with extensive how to's. There's one from the U.K. that is really good, but presumes you're already very good with digital and fine art.

I am toying with a subscription to VegNews: I am not a full vegan/vegetarian any more & they preach like nobody's business, but I like their food reviews and taste tests and for $3.50 an issue for subscribers, as opposed to $10 per issue on the newsstand, it makes more sense. There are bigger priorities though.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I read Mad and National Lampoon religiously in my early adulthood, but I always bought them from the newsstand, as I recall. Famous covers:

4B724672-74E8-48B1-A36F-DEA2F25D0BD6.jpeg

B5C92890-B7F2-4543-A3F9-58CDBCF68289.jpeg
    Jan 1973

21. chown33 macrumors 604

I didn't say I subscribed to either TV Guide or Soap Opera Digest, because I didn't. I replied to the "was there ever a TV shows dedicated magazines?" question, nothing more.

One magazine I did subscribe to, and eagerly awaited every month, was Popular Electronics. It went downhill, though, so I dropped it.

Regarding the 70's: everyone lies.

22. Mousse, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

When I was single I used to subscribe to Playboy, MacWorld and National Geographic. I stop getting Playboy after getting married. I stop getting MacWorld back in the 90's. I stopped getting National Geo...dunno when. But the skill of their [Nat Geo] photographers got me interested in photography.

23. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

I too was interested in magazine layouts, but its a dying art. It was something to wait a full month to read about curated topics you didn't choose. The internet has the advantage of choosing your topic but the disadvantage of click-bait articles and over-flow of worthless information. The professional editorial selection was much better. The instant gratification of the internet rotted our brains, then again the internet always existed and magazine were pretty popular until at least 2006.
    Maybe mobile killed it.

I think you are talking about .net magazine.

I thought those two were still in publication. I never got why they were popular and why the 70s?, just because they made satire of society? I recognize the dog cover, but not sure why its famous. I never held or read The National Lampoon which I believe is from Harvard. I looked around 1 MAD magazine.

I am surprised on a mac website, not many mentioned MacWorld or MacUser or MacAddict. They were well published. I wonder if there is a digital archive somewhere.

24. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I read Macworld occasionally.

I would say great magazine graphic design is an art that needs to be revived, as I’ve given upon several new magazines because the content and layout were not my thing.

With the internet’s instant news, yes, it’s tough, but I keep stumbling across ongoing magazines and new ones in print. I buy more print than digital too.

@Huntn Entertainment Weekly is becoming Entertainment Monthly later in the summer. They just fired most of their long time staff on Thursday.