Which storage option?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnbarr00, Nov 28, 2016.

1. johnbarr00 macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2016
    Hi there, I am about to do a big upgrade to my computer storage. I am a videographer and I work with a lot of high resolution footage for editing. I was just looking for some advice about which direction to go for the upgrade. I am currently using a USB 3.0 4-Bay Raid tower (Raid 5) 4 x 4TB drives for 12TB total storage. I love the system for 4K playback and data redundancy but it's almost full.

Ideally, I want to move to an 8-bay raid system set up in Raid 6. I will fill it 5TB drives for a total of 30TB usable storage.

My question comes down to which Raid unit to purchase. Is Thunderbolt 2 necessary? What about NAS enclosures using a thunderbolt to LAN adaptor?

I am looking at the "HighPoint RocketStor 6318A Thunderbolt 2 Hardware RAID 8-Bay Tower Enclosure" or the "Areca ARC-8050T2 Dual Thunderbolt 2.0 8-Bay Raid."

For USB, I'm looking at this one "Mediasonic ProRaid H8R2-SU3S2 8 Bay USB 3.0 & eSATA"

For NAS LAN, I'm looking at this one "Synology Disk Station 8-Bay (DS1815+)"

Any advice in my upgrade process is appreciated! Thank you!
  2. johnbarr00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2016
  3. matreya macrumors 65816

Nov 14, 2009
    I've heard good things about the Areca RAID. Thunderbolt 2 is considerably faster than USB 3 enclosures.

Unless you need a NAS, you're basically sacrificing speed for networking capability. Gigabit ethernet is slower than a single 7200 RPM HDD, so you won't gain the speed that RAID offers.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the usable storage from an 8 x 5TB RAID6 array is 20TB. 30TB is the space you'd have if you only deployed RAID5.