iPad Which Stores Can I Physically Go In To Trade Old iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by damonbus, Oct 25, 2013.

1. damonbus macrumors member

damonbus

I'd rather physically go into a store to either get credit or cash for my old iPad so I can use the funds toward the new air. What stores offer this and which ones do you recommend? Thanks

2. The.Dude, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Gamestop. There is currently a 30% trade in bonus on devices as well. That's what I did with my 3rd Gen 64GB. Ended up out the door with *edit $442 in Amazon gift cards for it.

3. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

best buy has a trade in...
    also if you are getting a data ipad, your carrier should have one too...at least at&t does.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

GameStop offers the highest at $289 for a 32GB iPad 3 with 30% extra credit means $375. I would use that to buy Amazon gift cards.

I was lucky in selling the above model for $350 cash on CL.

5. damonbus thread starter macrumors member

damonbus

6. darabo macrumors member

I suppose you also got the Power Up Rewards membership card and obtained the extra 10% trade in value?

Also were there other gift cards there, such as Wal-Mart, iTunes or something?

Because it'd be nice to use the giftcards towards the Air or Mini when they come out.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

How so?

I've got a flawless ipad 4 64 wifi and their site lowballs at $332.80 cash value. Even if theres 30% on that that stopill is only $430 or so.

That doesnt sound bad but its still 300 short of a new 64 gig air, more than 200 on black friday

8. The.Dude, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

No, the Power Up Rewards didn't do anything for my trade in, they checked to see if it would.

They had a huge rack full of cards, I know there are a few restaurant cards on there, iTunes, Google Play. Not sure about Wal-Mart.

----------

I never said I got cash for it, I got Amazon gift cards. They checked it out, put it in the computer and that is what I got. I had the original box/accessories with it as well, you get more that way.

I just checked the GameStop website and it is showing me $340 trade in value.

9. darabo macrumors member

Yea, I just checked the Gamestop website and it shows the $340 price as well.

I assume including the box, accessories, smart cover/case and etc. will add on top of the trade in value?

An Amazon giftcard would be useful, however I want to use it towards an iPad Air or Mini Retina and it's highly unlikely Amazon will sell it on launch day (unless via 3rd party sellers at a much higher markup).

10. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

You don't get anything extra for accessories.

From Gamestop's website

"Items Included:
    Sync Cable and/or Wall Charger and/or Original Packaging Included"

11. darabo macrumors member

Yea, this is what I thought.

I suppose the value of the iPad 3 went down since you traded it in? Because $340 plus an extra 30% only equals $442, not ~$475.

12. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

I'm a dunce. I had some credit on my account apparently. I got $442.00 for it. So figure throw in a few more bucks to round off to $450, they don't charge tax for gift cards so the full trade will go toward them.

13. magmasilk macrumors newbie

The gamestop website says the extra 30% is if you apply the credit to pre-owned items or select games. So no amazon giftcards. Anyone work it differently?

14. darabo macrumors member

I did it yesterday with an iPhone 5. If you buy any pre-owned item then you get the extra 30% credit.

So there were a stack of old, used ps2 games and I got Alias for $1.99 and got the extra 30% bonus.

Walked out with $475 in Amazon gift cards.

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

So are you saying then that you took the "in-store trade credit" which I took to mean store credit, but can actually mean Amazon gift cards?

Right now for my 64 gig iPad 4 wifi in perfect shape, the offer is $416 for "in-store trade credit", and $322.80 "in-store cash value".

So to understand this right, I could go in there right now and get $416 in Amazon gift cards, buy a $2 used game, and get another 30% in Amazon gift cards?

So basically I could go there, buy a $2 game, and walk out with $540.80 in Amazon gift cards? That seems absolutely insane, tell me if my methodology here is correct.

16. darabo macrumors member

Yep, this is exactly what I did and it worked perfectly!

But the only issue is that Amazon won't be selling the new iPads, and the third party sellers who put it up online will put a huge markup on it. So that could be an issue if you're interested in the new iPads.

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

That's an insane price, I paid $630 all in with tax for my iPad on black friday last year so I'd lose less than 100 bucks, that's crazy good.

But I thought Amazon had a dedicated Apple store through Amazon itself and not resellers? I guess as long as I can use the amazon gift cards towards the third party retailers sale of a new iPad air, that would be fine.

18. darabo macrumors member

Damn, really? That's impressive and I'm jealous you got the iPad 4 for that price. Maybe I will wait until Black Friday to get the iPad Air then...

But while Amazon does have an Apple section they don't directly sell iPads, only iPods and Macs IIRC. However you can also use Amazon gift cards (which is stored into your account as Amazon store credit once you redeem it) on used and third party sellers, so it even sweetens the deal.

19. puma1552 macrumors 601

Man if I could really get $540, I'd be tempted.

I was planning on sitting this one out since I have a 13" rMBP on order for the wife and she wants a new mini 2, so that coupled with the fact that I *love* my iPad 4 and in terms of quality control I hit the absolute jackpot with a perfect screen with no backlight bleeding and an awesome battery, I was content holding onto mine for another year. Buuuut...$540 without any hassle certainly makes things a bit different. Only downside though is I'd still be out $200 (including a new sleeve) for a new 64 gig since I won't be able to get the Apple black friday discount on Amazon, I'd probably have to pay the $699 or so. No tax, but still.

20. crex23 macrumors newbie

I went to Gamestop today and got $315 plus $94.50 for 30% bonus for a total of $408 something because I had to buy a 99 cent used game to get the 30% bonus. So I walked out with $400 in Amazon gift cards and a balance of $8 and something on my Powerup rewards card. Pretty happy considering I was offered lowball prices of $200-300 on craigslist. Btw this was a 16gb ipad 4 wifi only.

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

That's awesome, but I find it really weird that they call it "in-store trade credit" but then let you have an Amazon gift card instead. To me it seems weird that you can get far more in gift cards for wherever you choose compared to actual cash. I could see them doing that with store credit vs. cash, but not gift cards elsewhere vs. cash since a gift card to amazon is no better for the store than giving you cash.

I'm really tempted to go collect a whopping $540.

22. darabo macrumors member

Technically you're using the store credit to buy the gift cards.

It just so happens that GameStop sells Kindle (which are valid for anything in the Amazon site) gift cards as well as iTunes cards and etc.

Also keep in mind that the longer you wait, the lower the resale value of the older iPads become.

Trust me, I have an iPad 3...haha.

23. puma1552 macrumors 601

Ahh, that makes sense.

Are there restrictions on the regular Amazon cards? I would assume you could use the regular Amazon cards on anything at amazon.com, no?

The only issue I have with buying an iPad air from Amazon is that if there is a QC defect, then I have to deal with shipping it back yadda yadda, whereas buying through Apple I could just go to the store and swap out instantly...I always hate the Apple QC lottery and lately I've been winning so I'm probably due for a loss, lol.

24. darabo macrumors member

The only restriction on Amazon gift cards is that you can't use them to buy Amazon Prime, which requires a credit/debit card. Otherwise everything else is up for grabs, even used products from third party sellers (I tested it out last night and confirmed it when I got to the checkout page). Plus unless your state has an Amazon distribution centre then you also don't have to pay sales tax, which is a big plus for big purchases like iPads and such.

All new Apple products come with the same warranty whether it comes from the Apple Store or eBay. For example I bought a refurbished iPod Touch a couple of years ago from eBay however it had a black smudge under the screen. So I took it to the Apple Store and was able to swap it out for another refurbished one.

Also Amazon's Customer Service is almost unrivaled, they have some of the best CS out there. The only other company I can think of that rivals Amazon in this regard is Costco. Haha.

25. puma1552 macrumors 601

Yeah I know I could swap out at Apple, but I'd rather do a full return/exchange for another sealed box product if it's something I just bought brand new. More than likely the new one wouldn't have issues, but you never know.

I could always collect the $540 in cards and try to sell them here on the marketplace for a little discount, someone might bite.