Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
3G to 3GS? That's why I think we'll get a iPhone 4S with the iOS5 (and possible subtle improvements as shown on the CDMA version's metallic band) being shown off as their next big thing. At the time of the 3GS release, I'm sure Apple was waiting for the A8 for mass market profit. You could say the 3G and 3GS had a combined 2 year shelf life being pretty much the same hardware.

If you look at Apple's behaviour, it's quite predictable. The iPhone 4 is pretty much a very well rounded product that could do the same thing quite happily and last for 2 years. This time round, we have a CDMA version (and possibly white version) to take us through to an announcement in April 2012. Quite a crafty move to boost sales in 2011.

If sales are still up, why create a better product to destroy when the parts of the iPhone 4 are probably coming down in price month by month wholesale and they're making good profits? What could they add to a new iPhone in 2011 that isnt already on the iPhone 4? A time-machine?

I hate when I see people refer to the 3G to 3GS update as "minor". It was a significant update, and the hardware actually changed more on that upgrade than it did from 3GS to iPhone 4. It was leaps and bounds faster than the 3G. The CPU was upgraded, GPU upgraded, and internal internal RAM doubled. The only thing that didn't change between the 3G to 3GS was the external look and screen resolution. Maybe it's because it "looked" the same is why people thought it wasn't a significant upgrade.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
You mean Apple's 2010 iPhone4 is going to be behind CES's 2011 smart phones?

Oh noes!
LMAO! Too right. The iPhone in 3G/S and 4 have a very good tight hold on the phone market. A iOS5 update would keep people on the Apple train rather than new hardware to support an old looking iOS4. Spec wise, it doesn't look as good; as an overall package, it has a lot more than the alternatives.

I'm not trying to flame your own opinions for people who disagree (I'm just looking at the otherside), but lots of you are in dreamland and are not looking at the basics here. Lots of contracts are 24 months now. Most consumers couldn't get a heavily updated iPhone 5 in 2011. And with the Verizon announcement, a physical design change is probably not going to happen in 2011.

Most of the CES 2011 phones are dual-core A9s which I can see is a minor threat. But none of these phones have the back-bone of Apple's app-store (still strong at almost a billion downloads), tight and easy iTunes integration and dedicated fan-base (along with general users who wanted an iPhone in 2010 - including me).

Android IMO is still growing up. It's almost there and I'll be looking forward to see how honeycomb holds up.

This white iPhone 4 possibility (with the Verizon phone) does place an iPhone 5 into an very small chance of happening.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You mean Apple's 2010 iPhone4 is going to be behind CES's 2011 smart phones?

Oh noes!

Since the person I was responding claimed the contrary, that the iPhone 4 was still ahead of the competition and would be for a while, it seems quite a few people don't share your sense of the obvious. :rolleyes:

(at least try to follow sub-threads before trying to use sarcasm to reply to posts).

LMAO! Too right. The iPhone in 3G/S and 4 have a very good tight hold on the phone market.

Wait, what tight hold ? Apple is a 3rd/4th place participant in the niche of smartphones and barely a 3-4% share holder of the bigger cellphone market.

Who is in Dreamland exactly ?

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Now that I see this, I'm inclined to think that this is a possibility (maybe not a huge one, but still a possibility). While most of the members here are no longer really interested in a white iPhone 4, I'm sure that there are countless people in the general public that are. This would really breathe a newer life into the product and carry the iPhone 4 through till next year.

If anything Apple needs to produce newer hardware more often, if they don't release a new iPhone this year on account of the Verizon iPhone launch, they are basically giving up the entire orld market to cater to one U.S. carrier.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Wait, what tight hold ? Apple is a 3rd/4th place participant in the niche of smartphones and barely a 3-4% share holder of the bigger cellphone market.

Who is in Dreamland exactly ?
I'm not going to keep arguing with these facts you keep coming up with which don't bare reality (iPhone is a singular device/brand competing with OSes over multiple platforms - I'll leave that for another topic) and with the original topic. I was talking more in the broader expectations and demands you have of an iPhone 5 this year (with a complete redesign).

If it does appear, it'll be beyond my expectations. I'm just not holding my hopes up like you are for the latest geek fix in Apple tech. :rolleyes:

iPhone users won't drop like flies if there isn't a major iPhone 5 release. Especially with the iPad 2 ready to pounce. But to keep people intact until July 2012, I'd rather have iOS5 which supersedes Android's honeycomb. The iPhone 4 still calls/texts doesn't it? All the rest is extra nosh for techies. :D

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tunster, your opinions stink. I haven't heard such baseless crap. Apple has updated the iPhone every year since release in 2007. What are you talking about?

The Verizon iPhone is a physical design change for a start.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Eh, why would Apple release it secretly if it were true? Especially with the announcement of the verizon iphone.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tunster, your opinions stink. I haven't heard such baseless crap. Apple has updated the iPhone every year since release in 2007. What are you talking about?

The Verizon iPhone is a physical design change for a start.
What? I didn't rule out a iP4S? I'll give you another chance to reread all my posts.

Another thing, the Verizon phone has a couple of extra lines on the outer ring (oh, and a CDMA chip). I'll let you off this time for calling it a physical change, especially when I was talking about a full redesign this year :rolleyes:. Can anyone read anymore? I give up.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm not going to keep arguing with these facts you keep coming up with which don't bare reality (iPhone is a singular device/brand competing with OSes over multiple platforms - I'll leave that for another topic) and with the original topic. I was talking more in the broader expectations and demands you have of an iPhone 5 this year (with a complete redesign).

Who said complete redesign ? They could simply toss in a better CPU/GPU and more RAM in there like they did when they made the 3GS. The casing design has nothing to do with the internals. There is going to be a new iPhone in June, you can bet on it. It's most probably going to have a Cortex A9 processor since that is where the market is.

What broader demands ? You stated that the iPhone 4 was ahead of other phones in technical specs and would still be in 2011, I proved you wrong. Now you just want to steer this whole conversation elsewhere to not have to admit you were wrong.

iPhone users won't drop like flies if there isn't a major iPhone 5 release. Especially with the iPad 2 ready to pounce. But to keep people intact until July 2012, I'd rather have iOS5 which supersedes Android's honeycomb. The iPhone 4 still calls/texts doesn't it? All the rest is extra nosh for techies. :D

Each year we have had an iOS update and an iPhone update. They are not mutually exclusive. In June, you will get your iOS 5 and you'll get new iPhone hardware to boot.

I seriously doubt you understand what you're arguing at this point.

deephauz

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
*breathe*

Best post of the day. Fanned

Although I agree with you I can't help but point out the horror that is the attempt at French in your tag. Please people, don't try to look smart by using other languages when you can't form a sentence. It's both annoying and sad.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Who said complete redesign ? They could simply toss in a better CPU/GPU and more RAM in there like they did when they made the 3GS. The casing design has nothing to do with the internals. There is going to be a new iPhone in June, you can bet on it. It's most probably going to have a Cortex A9 processor since that is where the market is.

What broader demands ? You stated that the iPhone 4 was ahead of other phones in technical specs and would still be in 2011, I proved you wrong. Now you just want to steer this whole conversation elsewhere to not have to admit you were wrong.

Each year we have had an iOS update and an iPhone update. They are not mutually exclusive. In June, you will get your iOS 5 and you'll get new iPhone hardware to boot.

I seriously doubt you understand what you're arguing at this point.
Confuse yourself in your own arguments. I know I admitted it wasn't technically superior (CPU/GPU/Memory wise) but you chose to ignore it's still the best whole package as a smartphone. Go figure.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
My cousin has one already. I'm assuming it's not an official white iPhone 4, but it has all the iPhone lettering on the back with the legal stuff and all. Are those easy to get somewhere?

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Subjective opinion does not a fact make.
I know, doesn't make my opinions less valid than yours though (when you're so hard up dreaming we'll get a brand new iPhone in July - that doesn't include a rehash upgrade in the existing case).

Fair game to see what happens though :cool:.

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
mehhh, i know lots of people are excited for the White iphone 4, but to me, black looks much better...

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Jeez Newbee deephauz.

Although I agree with you I can't help but point out the horror that is the attempt at French in your tag. Please people, don't try to look smart by using other languages when you can't form a sentence. It's both annoying and sad.

It was not French! It was a poor attempt at humor. Lighten up.

See new tag infra:

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
mehhh, i know lots of people are excited for the White iphone 4, but to me, black looks much better...

I prefer the black look to be honest, although i did like the white back/black front of the 3g/3gs.

I skipped the iPhone 4 altogether though, couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a phone that seemingly has so many problems.

Also, i still stick by what i said when the iPhone 4 was leaked, i just dont like the design. The glass shatters, the 'seams' look awful and the whole design isn't ergonomic in the hand like the 3g/3gs was.

I personally can't wait for the next iPhone and will be upgrading straight away if it is what i want. I don't desperately want any internal hardware upgrades, i'd just like a new, or altered form factor to make it more ergonomic in the hand. And a problem-less internal antenna would also be nice ;)

BTW, i'm still using my 3G i've had for about 18 months that is now unupdatable and practically useless.

stu00a

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
If they were going to release Iphone 5 or Iphone4S this summer, why would they keep this white version till June of 2012?

And given the fact, Verizon version is already different than At&T's version, that means AT&T will have fixed version of iphone 4 and white version will released.

So, that will make NO NEW IPHONE THIS SUMMER. ONLY FIXED ANTENNA, WHITE VERSION AND NEW IOS UPDATE.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I've never been as inspired to laugh as hard as I do, when reading about the white iPhone 4, and peoples reaction to SJ's ruse of the decade. Hook line & sinker, he's conned them all :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I know, doesn't make my opinions less valid than yours though (when you're so hard up dreaming we'll get a brand new iPhone in July - that doesn't include a rehash upgrade in the existing case).

What's was a rehash about the 3GS ? It's was brand new iPhone then and even if they re-use the casing of the iPhone 4, I'd say a Cortex A9 based phone with a SGX543 GPU would be a brand new iPhone in and of itself.

And it's June, not July.

And while your opinion is not less valid because it's subjective, it's still just an opinion and stating it as facts (like Apple has a tight hold on the market) is still not correct.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Honestly. Who cares? Buy a white case.

n638997431_814701_79121.jpg

These guys are pumped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.