Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
february 27th? seems like a strange time to launch, but whatever.

I am buying mine the 3rd, so I guess I will be getting black

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Is this the same Best Buy that allowed me to reserve a white iPhone 4 in June 2010? They even told me how they were better than Apple because not even Apple was selling them yet. Eventually I picked up the black one from them.

drewzkie

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
CA
february 27th? seems like a strange time to launch, but whatever.

I am buying mine the 3rd, so I guess I will be getting black

Same here. I've never heard of anybody releasing something like that on a Sunday. I liked the white 3GS but the white iPhone 4 leaves something to be desired. Maybe that's why it's not out already.

cintrepid

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
heres a possibility
i recently got an email from ATT they said att is now going to release 4G so that means the white iph4 white can have 4g and it can be a special release and tahts why they released late
anyone agree:eek:

roratus

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
NAZI Occupied Florida
I'll only buy it if it comes with a flying unicorn and open letter of apology from Steve Jobs clearly outlining his regret at not getting this to me when he originally promised.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
not again ... will the white iPhone rumors ever stop?

I think it's safe to say that the WHITE iPhone 4 is hte Powerbook G5 of the iOS era -

man, Safari Mobile will be snappy on that thing.:D

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
I can't wait until the white version launches because there will be a rash of black models being dumped on Craigslist, thus my chance to snag a 32Gb at a great price ;)

jamiek88

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I hate when I see people refer to the 3G to 3GS update as "minor". It was a significant update, and the hardware actually changed more on that upgrade than it did from 3GS to iPhone 4. It was leaps and bounds faster than the 3G. The CPU was upgraded, GPU upgraded, and internal internal RAM doubled. The only thing that didn't change between the 3G to 3GS was the external look and screen resolution. Maybe it's because it "looked" the same is why people thought it wasn't a significant upgrade.

Interesting point.

The 3Gs has an A8 chip, upgraded from the ARM11.

So one could really argue that the iphone 4 is really the 's' version of the previous model.

Better cameras, ram bump, tweaked processor. It was a B upgrade, speed wise.

The radical external design and retina display blinded that a bit.

So it would make sense for the 5 to have a genuinely new power train (Apple A5/ARM A9), advanced GPU etc.

So the reports of the A5, big spec bumps especially when viewed through the lens of whats required for the rumored iPad screen improvements (they share the same architecture) make sense.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Interesting point.

The 3Gs has an A8 chip, upgraded from the ARM11.

So one could really argue that the iphone 4 is really the 's' version of the previous model.

Better cameras, ram bump, tweaked processor. It was a B upgrade, speed wise.

The radical external design and retina display blinded that a bit.

So it would make sense for the 5 to have a genuinely new power train (Apple A5/ARM A9), advanced GPU etc.

So the reports of the A5, big spec bumps especially when viewed through the lens of whats required for the rumored iPad screen improvements (they share the same architecture) make sense.

That's my point. The iPhone 4 has basically a tweaked version of the CPU that was in the 3GS (mainly optimized for power consumption), and the exact same GPU as the 3GS. The only hardware difference was the doubled RAM. The external enclosure, screen, and front camera are the only real significant differences in the 3GS and 4. It was a bigger jump (architecture wise) from the 3G to the 3GS, but keeping the same external enclosure masked that.

Last edited:

choco

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
so torn to whether i should commit to a two year contract now with the iphone 4 or hold out for a 5. now i got a possible white one to deal with. oh geez...

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
white iPhone 4?

2ywwr41.gif

techdaring

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I haven't purchase iPhone 4 because I like the white edition more than the black. However if Apple just released from this time, maybe I will waiting for the iPhone 5 on June/July.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
3G to 3GS? That's why I think we'll get a iPhone 4S with the iOS5 (and possible subtle improvements as shown on the CDMA version's metallic band) being shown off as their next big thing. At the time of the 3GS release, I'm sure Apple was waiting for the A8 for mass market profit. You could say the 3G and 3GS had a combined 2 year shelf life being pretty much the same hardware.

This proves you know nothing about iPhone hardware. There are exactly two parts shared between the 3G and 3GS--the case and the home button. New processor (Samsung 1176JZ @412Mhz vs. Cortex A8 @600Mhz), new GPU (PowerVR MBX Lite vs. PowerVR SGX535), new camera (2MP fixed-focus vs. 3MP autofocus), new glass (oleophobic), double the RAM, new audio circuitry (Wolfson WM6180C vs. Cirrus Logic CS42L61), larger battery. Even the screens are subtly different.

The 3G was identical to the original iPhone, with the exception of the case, battery, and radio/GPS module. Same processor, same GPU, same camera, same amount of RAM.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
This proves you know nothing about iPhone hardware. There are exactly two parts shared between the 3G and 3GS--the case and the home button. New processor (Samsung 1176JZ @412Mhz vs. Cortex A8 @600Mhz), new GPU (PowerVR MBX Lite vs. PowerVR SGX535), new camera (2MP fixed-focus vs. 3MP autofocus), new glass (oleophobic), double the RAM, new audio circuitry (Wolfson WM6180C vs. Cirrus Logic CS42L61), larger battery. Even the screens are subtly different.

The 3G was identical to the original iPhone, with the exception of the case, battery, and radio/GPS module. Same processor, same GPU, same camera, same amount of RAM.

Hallelujah! Someone else who understands the difference. The biggest jump in hardware so far was the 3G to 3GS upgrade. The 3GS to iPhone 4 is a "minor" bump architecture-wise. If the rumored specs for the 'iPhone 5" are true (the dual core A9 based CPU, the new GPU), it will be a significant upgrade similar to the 3G to 3GS upgrade.

smatguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Oh cool, I'll buy the white when it comes out, and I'll buy the 5 when it comes out too, and the 6, and the 7. I like and support Apple products and will just send my out dated phones as time goes by to the troops with a note saying " how do you like dem apples"... may they all come home safe!

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009

Fair enough. The above you state isn't a major upgrade IMHO. A few mhz there, a couple of MP here, a little bit more RAM there. It was a stop gap until the iPhone 4s retina display (being the biggest upgrade and reason why I bought the iPhone for the first time then - of course the power and memory was upped an awful lot!) was available. Same reason why I think the 5th version will be a 4S with subtle differences to push the same casing along (with the Verizon revisions). It'll be a progressive upgrade rather than a major one.

Logically, the iPhone 5 name in 2012 would be suitable for the merger of GSM/CDMA and introduce the new technologies we've been hearing about lately (SIM-Cardless, money chip etc).

I really couldn't be bothered to go into exact details of the 3G > 3GS. When that was announced, most 3G users I knew were disappointed. The minor upgrades didn't justify replacing the handset. You same major, but I think minor. That's where I'll stop as we think differently.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Fair enough. The above you state isn't a major upgrade IMHO. A few mhz there, a couple of MP here, a little bit more RAM there. It was a stop gap until the iPhone 4s retina display (being the biggest upgrade and reason why I bought the iPhone for the first time then - of course the power and memory was upped an awful lot!) was available. Same reason why I think the 5th version will be a 4S with subtle differences to push the same casing along (with the Verizon revisions). It'll be a progressive upgrade rather than a major one.

Logically, the iPhone 5 name in 2012 would be suitable for the merger of GSM/CDMA and introduce the new technologies we've been hearing about lately (SIM-Cardless, money chip etc).

I really couldn't be bothered to go into exact details of the 3G > 3GS. When that was announced, most 3G users I knew were disappointed. The minor upgrades didn't justify replacing the handset. You same major, but I think minor. That's where I'll stop as we think differently.

If you actually owned both handsets (3G and 3GS), you can more readily see the significance of the update. The 3GS, even though it "looked" the same as the 3G, was a totally different beast. Much, much faster. It made it hard to even go back to using a 3G once you got accustomed to the 3GS. In fact, if you have all three (3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4), you know there's not much of a noticeable speed increase between 3GS and 4. And you stated only "A few mhz there..." as a difference between the processors of the 3G and 3GS (mhz-wise it was 412 to 600), it was also a totally different processor (the A8..same processor core that's in the current iPhone 4). That makes a huge difference. That's like trying to compare an Intel Atom 1.4Ghz processor to an Intel 1.8Ghz Core i5 series processor and saying "there's only a few Mhz difference". It doesn't address the dramatic architecture difference between the two. It also doesn't even talk about the dramatic difference in the GPU between the 3G and 3GS. The 3G GPU was so underpowered that it couldn't even make use of OpenGL 2.0, which is why the 3G couldn't do homescreen wallpapers (the OpenGL set the 3G GPU could use wouldn't support the drop shadows behind the icons when on top of wallpaper).

jamiek88

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
If you actually owned both handsets (3G and 3GS), you can more readily see the significance of the update. The 3GS, even though it "looked" the same as the 3G, was a totally different beast. Much, much faster. It made it hard to even go back to using a 3G once you got accustomed to the 3GS. In fact, if you have all three (3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4), you know there's not much of a noticeable speed increase between 3GS and 4. And you stated only "A few mhz there..." as a difference between the processors of the 3G and 3GS (mhz-wise it was 412 to 600), it was also a totally different processor (the A8..same processor core that's in the current iPhone 4). That makes a huge difference. That's like trying to compare an Intel Atom 1.4Ghz processor to an Intel 1.8Ghz Core i5 series processor and saying "there's only a few Mhz difference". It doesn't address the dramatic architecture difference between the two. It also doesn't even talk about the dramatic difference in the GPU between the 3G and 3GS. The 3G GPU was so underpowered that it couldn't even make use of OpenGL 2.0, which is why the 3G couldn't do homescreen wallpapers (the OpenGL set the 3G GPU could use wouldn't support the drop shadows behind the icons when on top of wallpaper).

Yep.

I went from 3G to 4.

My missus had the 3Gs and I remember being astounded when I opened apps side by side, launched SMS, typing etc at the difference for a phone that looked essentially the same.

I was out of cycle so I had to wait, but then iOS4 came and was pretty much unusable on my old battered 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.