MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

112320-white_iphone_4_views.jpg

Engadget summarizes reports in the Chinese-language media claiming that the delays experienced by the white iPhone 4 are due to issues with the paint application process for the device's glass front and back panels. In particular, the company behind the production process, Lens Technology, is working out kinks in its screen printing process to achieve proper paint thickness and color consistency.
Now, a worker from Lens' quality control department has allegedly admitted that the company's screen-printing workshop may currently be dealing with some issues with the white iPhone 4 covers. Specifically, the factory's still working out the perfect combination of paint thickness and opacity -- the former to ensure the next sub-contractor has enough clearance for the digitizer overlay, and the latter for the absolute whiteness that Jony Ive and co. strive for. As we pointed out before, the prototype white covers we acquired appeared a touch darker than the iPhone 4 dock, so here's hoping that we'll see a better result when the official white phone comes out later this month.
The report seems to corroborate a claim made by a Gizmodo reader back in June when Apple announced that the white iPhone 4 models would be delayed until the second half of July.
I cannot say who I am as Apple does have a non-disclosure in effect for this, but: The color specifications for the white on the new iPhones are just crazy. The tolerances they are trying to achieve with the white really is the cause of the delay. As screen printing goes, it is somewhat controllable, doesn't have the tolerance that Apple is wanting to hold the color specification of the white too. Talk about anal...
Apple CEO Steve Jobs confirmed at last Friday's press conference that white iPhone 4 models will begin shipping in limited quantities at the end of this month.

Article Link: White iPhone 4 Delays Due to Glass Painting Issues?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Apple does really take pride in their work, even if it goes to the extreme.

In all honestly, I've never heard of another hardware manufacturer that adheres to such scrutiny, which is probably why lots of my previous smartphones were built with such variety in quality control.

Comment

bredlo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2003
Chicagoland
"I cannot say who I am.... the color specifications for the white on the new iPhones are just crazy... talk about anal..."

That "anal" quality is why - antenna performance issues aside - Apple builds the finest consumer products in the world. Those tolerances and demands for perfection often result in cutting edge processes that can backfire. But I'll take that any day over a bland status quo that follows... rather than leads.
:apple::apple::apple:

Comment

guitarman777

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Frankly, I don't mind the delay if it means the appropriate time is spent on making sure the manufacture is done properly so we don't end up with another "AntennaGate" with the phone's finish.

Comment

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I prefer my black iPhone and don't really like the white, but if you are a real white fan, how can you not be happy about this quote:

The color specifications for the white on the new iPhones are just crazy. The tolerances they are trying to achieve with the white really is the cause of the delay. As screen printing goes, it is somewhat controllable, doesn't have the tolerance that Apple is wanting to hold the color specification of the white too. Talk about anal...

Comment

tCruzin4lyfe

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I'm hoping for pre-orders soon. Not at the last minute. My guess would be whenever they update the site for the free bumpers is when pre's should happen.

Comment

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I actually question this factory's integrity. They've had what, 6 months to iron these problems out?

Comment

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I suppose white is a very tricky colour to get right as it will show up all the imperfections. You'd think they would've got it sorted before announcing though wouldn't you.

Comment

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Paint?

So Apple is more worried about the color of white than the phone dropping calls??

Someone needs to get their priorities straight.

Comment

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Amazing, Apple has obsession to make sure the white paint is applies perfectly but doesn't care about making a working antenna. Talk about priorities! :(

Comment

bigsteve

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
Are the posting times on the top left showing 4ish pm for everyone or is that something wrong on my computer?

Attachments

• weird_time.JPG
    weird_time.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,122
Comment

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Not a big fan of the white because of the front, but I can see why they had to do both sides white. Different colored trims on the sides would mess up the whole look.

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Apple is looking for a particular and consistent white and that is good. The manufacturer is having problems obtaining this and that is bad.

What might be worse, is that the white iP4's have some other deficiency once out in the public with regards to the white color manufacturing difficulties. Is it easier coloring polycarbonate plastic MacBooks or iPhone glass?

What will Apple do if this too becomes an issue down the road?

Comment

sonicwind

macrumors member
May 17, 2008
It's funny that this much attention is given to the white hue, but hey it drops connectivity if you touch it right here, no big deal.

I know, I know, the iPhone doesn't drop calls. It *****ing throws them down.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.