White iPhone 4: Modified Rear Camera, Reports of Thickness Difference Disputed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 2, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While much of the attention regarding the long-delayed launch of the white iPhone 4 has died down, a few tidbits of interest continue to trickle out.

Late last week, Japanese blog Mac Otakara pointed to a pair of tweets from @kazunie highlighting some of the differences between the black and white models of the iPhone 4.

[​IMG]
    Rear camera of black (left) and white (right) iPhone 4
    In particular, Apple seems to have modified the camera sensor in the white version, opting for a slightly different module that likely carries almost identical specs to the one used in the black version. It is unclear, however, whether the change was made specifically to deal with issues related to light leakage reportedly affecting camera performance, one of the more popular targets of rumors regarding the device's delayed launch.

The report also notes that the proximity sensor has been modified in the white models, although no details on the changes are included. The proximity sensor has been one of the chief areas of focus on the device, given Apple's obvious redesign of the iPhone's front plate in the area of the sensor, shifting from a grille of tiny holes in early renderings and samples of the white models to a single black window in the shipping versions.

Reports of the white iPhone 4 being slightly thicker than the black version are also coming under fire, with Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller reportedly sending a response to a customer via Twitter direct message disputing the claims.It is not thicker, don't believe all the junk that you readConsumer Reports has also disputed the findings with their own caliper measurements showing identical thicknesses for the black and white models.

[​IMG]
    Consumer Reports' caliper measurements of iPhone 4 thickness
    The thickness difference was of course confirmed in an extensive series of caliper measurements taken by TiPb last week and by numerous other users examining their own devices and attempting to fit them into cases. Consequently, the difference may be an issue of quality control with some phones exhibiting the difference while others do not, rather than an intentional design change to specify the thicker profile.

[​IMG]
    Comparison showing white iPhone 4 thicker than black (Source: Engadget)​

Article Link: White iPhone 4: Modified Rear Camera, Reports of Thickness Difference Disputed

2. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

But what does Consumer Reports say about the network connection of this phone?

:)

3. Jswoosh macrumors member

Yeah I never understood why the phones would have different thicknesses. The cameras are probably the same too.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The white iphone 4 plastic edge seems very slightly thicker though.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was at the Apple Store yesterday and I placed my Black iPhone side-by-side (on a flat surface) with White model they have on display, and my friend and I could not tell the difference is thickness.

I did the same with 2 other White models and had the same result, so I was rather baffled as to what the bloggers were reporting. So Phil Schiller was not lying, thanks Phil.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.9to5mac.com/64682/phil-s...cker-dont-believe-all-the-junk-that-you-read/

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It's amazing what someone with the proper tool can do to actually test these kind of issues.

I was waiting for someone to FINALLY grab a caliper and measure both devices. Game over.

7. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

It is not thicker, don't believe all the junk you see.

8. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Just goes to prove that Consumer Reports will tell you a lie and then show you a picture of it.

9. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

OK - supposing the White iPhone was slightly thicker.... So *********g what?

10. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You mean this was not the right tool?
    [​IMG]

/Sarcasm

13. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

14. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Lol. That's Engadget.

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Cool. Now where are the spy shots of the new iMacs?

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Shh, don't tell anyone I showed you this
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    2004 reference

17. tazinlwfl macrumors regular

tazinlwfl

18. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I'm sure that nearly a year of wear on the edge of the black iPhone won't account for a tenth of a millimeter difference. :rolleyes:

When I first got my iPhone I found the edges too sharp and uncomfortable, now it feels great. Then again I probably just had more Kool-Aid. :p

19. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I've just measured mine, an out of warranty replacement from Dec 2010.

It's 0.370" too.

20. DennisVR macrumors member

It confirms that wearing black makes you look thinner. :cool:

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's clear that some iPhone 4s are thicker. (see engadget photo)

arn

22. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

23. Thunderhawks Suspended

They still can't recommend it!

24. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

I think that no other company has their products come under more scrutiny than Apple. It is amazing. When folks say how the media just falls over Apple and praises them constantly -- it cracks me up. The media is just itching for bad news on Apple, and they are looking in every possible place to find it.

What shocks me is the level of forgiveness that competing tablets against the iPad are getting. Apple is so dominating the tablet-computing sector right now, that the media is just hoping for a contender. Motorola and RIM have both released "Beta Hardware" to the public and many reviewers are being soft on RIM with even more being soft on Motorola. If Apple released such a product they would get blasted in the media with nobody offering forgiveness.

Case and point... Mossberg on the iPad 2:

Keep in mind that Apple advertises 10 hours and Mossberg got better than that with the brightness setting 25% higher than Apple's default setting. Yet he had to reach to find something to complain about (e.g.: his iPad 1 test unit just happened to have extraordinary battery life -- keep in mind that most reviewers of iPad 2 got better battery life than iPad 1).

Gruber criticizes Mossberg even more in a post called "Bending Over Backwards". Some of Gruber's points are arguable, but I think he is dead-on in many regards, especially his final quote:

Apple, however, does not get to enjoy the luxury of forgiveness that the media affords to those who are not the market leader. The fact that folks are trying to quantify a thickness difference of 0.2 mm on some units, completely amazes me. I'm sure its within manufacturing specifications and I'm sure that not every single Black iPhone 4 is the same thickness, and yet it is news.