White iPhone 4 owners: What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petvas, Apr 29, 2011.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

This is only for white iPhone 4 owners that had the black one before.
    What are your first impressions? Do you like the color more? Do you see any differences to the black iPhone? I know that it is the same phone, but there are still some minor differences.
    I don't know if you noticed, but the white iPhone is one gram heavier than the black one. At least this is what my balance device is saying. 140grams for the white and 139 for the black one. Apart from that the white one is thicker, but that has already been discussed.
    I like the color, especially the back of the phone. I know that people are saying that the white model supposedly has a better antenna, but I didn't find that to be true...it is the same phone apart from a couple of minor differences. I am also happy that the home button seems to be working great so far, but that doesn't have to do with the color of the device :)
    Overall I am happy with my purchase and I will sell the black one asap.

So, how do you feel about your new purchase? How do you like it so far?

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Got my wife the white iPhone 4 last night and we will also be selling her old black one shortly. We both like it a lot! It looks great and will be a somewhat rare as most people wait for the 5. I did some web surfing speed checks side by side with my black iPhone 4 and I noticed no difference in performance in my "unscientific" test.

As far as noticing more thickness or weight? Ah.. What human can ascertain such a small difference in weight or size? ;)

3. err404 macrumors 68020

It's not about humans, it's about cases not fitting.

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, if you got one that fits tight, then this could become an issue. I use the apple iPod socks and they fit just fine.

I really like the white color, and it is a perfect match to my white iPad.
    I also noticed something else, but I am not sure if it is because the iPhone is brand new. When touching it on the sides it feels differently than the black iPhone. I don't know if I can describe it correctly, but the black one slips easier. The white one feels "hard" on the sides. Maybe it has to do sth about the material being used, maybe it is also nothing.

5. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Hey, can you take your old black iPhone 4 and your new white iPhone and compare the screen "tints" of the two?

What I am noticing is that my old black (GSM) iPhone 4 has a definite white/blue/bright/cool tint whereas my new white (GSM) iPhone 4 has a yellow/dim/warm tint to it. Are you seeing the same thing?

The colors definitely pop more on the black unit and show up more vibrant with better contrast on the cooler panel and I definitely prefer it. It's a bummer my white one has a warmer panel.

6. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

And I agree there - the metal feels rougher on the white unit and less smooth and slick like the black does. I was thinking maybe its a light coating to fix the signal attenuation issues but I highly doubt it. Probably just a different steel finish or new manufacturing method or something.

7. sordan macrumors member

Definitely like the white more, finger prints don't show nearly as much as they did with my black and it just overall looks more sleek and modern. I find the home button to be more responsive on the white than my black, but that probably just has to do the home button starting to go bad on the black from so much usage.

I agree that the screen was more vibrant with the black bezel but I don't think it deters from the phone's usability. One wouldn't really even notice unless they do a close comparison in my opinion.

All in all, I'm really glad this phone finally came out, I was very pleased to finally get rid of my black phone to fund this purchase as I originally had my heart set on getting a white one on launch day. I really am glad Apple is starting to incorporate white versions in their products again and I hope they continue to do so.

8. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I just completely reseted my black iPhone so I have nothing on it to compare. The only thing I can say is that I find the contrast of the black iPhone to be more vibrant. Maybe it is just the color of the bezel that causes this.

9. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Actually I also think that the white iPhone has warmer colors. The colors on the black seemed more vibrant and sharp.

10. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I am very happy with my white iPhone 4. It was the color I wanted on launch day, but I didn't want to wait so I went with black. The fingerprints are much less noticeable and I just find the color striking. Overall, I'm pleased. :apple:

11. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

I'll need to wait until I get home to my old black 4 unit to confirm this, but in addition to the tint of the panels being different (black GSM = cool blue; white GSM = warm yellow) I am pretty sure I am seeing very reduced viewing angles on the white unit.

I was always impressed how with my black unit I could hold it in front of my face and tilt the phone up and down or side to side and the colors would never wash out; I would only stop being able to see the screen when I was looking directly at the bottom, top or sides and the display wasn't visible.

However, on the white unit, when looking at a blank white page and I tilt the phone it turns blue and washes out at about 45 degrees, like the cheaper panels used in the 4th generation iPod touches - no IPS tech.

I am starting to think Apple is using a much cheaper panel in the white phone than in the black, but again, won't be able to confirm until I can compare against my black phone at home, just going from memory for now.

12. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm extremely happy with mine and upgrading from an iPhone 2G made it that much better. I'll be more than satisfied until next year for the iPhone 6 no matter what time it comes out. My area tends to lag behind on network updates. We just got 3G turned on yesterday :(. At least my new phone is fast. Hopefully by the time I can get the iPhone 6 or whatever they call my area with HSPA+ or LTE. Whatever AT&T decides to do. They better do something though. The crazy thing is AT&T suggested I keep my unlimited plan and after I asked about changing my SO's plan down to the 200MB plan they even suggested she keep hers. I didn't argue and just kept them both.

13. clovis112 macrumors regular

just got mine a few minutes ago and it doesn't look washed out even when tilting at angles.

14. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

I find the white not quite white enough. The apple promo photos seem to make it look more solid and somewhat clinical - which I prefer, but with the white paint on the underside the glass as opposed to on the surface, the colour is 'softer' and less crisp, this also results in a further off white colour from surrounding light sources. Shame

15. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

+5 :apple:

16. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

If you look very close at the side metal on magnified images, they do indeed look different. Definitely a new recipe, or new moulding process for the aluminum (or Hybrid Aluminum). Perhaps a smidgen of Liquid Metal Technology in there? :apple:

17. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Really curious to read these responses going forward. I've been battling with myself all day re. wanting to go get a white one. I was SO psyched about it after WWDC when it was announced, and was fire-pissed when it got scuttled at the last second with no warning. I eventually got over it, of course, getting my black one at launch, but now that I've seen photos of the white one the old longing is back. ARGH. I'm sure I'll end up waiting until the next launch and hopefully getting a white iP5 then, but DAMN, the white iP4 is pretty.

18. Reasec macrumors newbie

Got white one yesterday... Absolutely amazing.

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

My iPod is white and my Macbook is white. Our Apple airport router is white.
    I am enjoying the traditional look of the white iP4. I am pleased with the change yet at the same time can see why some owners prefer black over white.
    It's also nice to start fresh with a new iPhone. Some of the mistakes I made on the black one won't be repeated on this one.

21. solowmodel macrumors 6502

E.g.?

22. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can I switch my black iPhone 4 for a white one at the apple store? If not than how much is it gonna cost me? Thanks

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

1) If you purchased your phone in the last 30 days, you can return it, possibly pay a restocking fee and buy the white one.
    2) If you purchased your phone more than 30 days ago, you can sell it, and buy a white iPhone 4 at early upgrade pricing.

24. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok got it thanks

25. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

I chose the wrong words here: I wouldn't say the display is "washed out" when I tilt it, but rather a little more dim than looking at it straight on. And it turns out the black unit is the exact same; I definitely overblew things there.

And I am getting used to the yellow tint of the white unit. When I look at the black unit's display now it looks super blue. So I suppose whatever you are looking at you become acclimated to and then if you look at the other color phone the display looks blue (black unit) or yellow (white unit). Once I sell my black unit I'll be fine and won't notice the yellow tint on the white unit hopefully. Still kinda bummed it's yellow though... I do like the blue tint better.