White iPhone gets dirty fast

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drew0020, May 7, 2011.

1. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Ive had my white iPhone for 3 days now and havent used it till today because I put on a front and back screen protector.

I already noticed the plastic bezel between the glass and the antenna gets dirty fast. Ive still been babying this phone and I cant believe this. Any ideas how to keep this white area clean?

Otherwise I love the phone. I didnt think id prefer it to black, but side by side its no contest!

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

This is exactly what I've thought would happen to the white iPhone 4. The plastic is a flat matte finish, so I saw it picking up dirt and dust really quickly.

I'd suggest a damp towel every few days or so. But even with that, the white plastic will probably turn to grey sooner or later. You can always try scrubbing with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but I'd be extra careful with that.

3. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 65816

drew0020

I already have a few black marks on the plastic finish. It has been in my pocket for less than 10 minutes and they are new jeans ha. I figured it might show dirt over time, but this is pretty bad.

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

5. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

^Dont do it! It's a trick!

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Try washing your hands at least once a day...

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

9. jaminphx macrumors newbie

^ Don't do this either, its a bigger trick!

10. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 65816

drew0020

haha! My hands were clean. The marks dont come off the plastic. Oh well.

11. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

would like to see some pics of this if you can?

interesting.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Sorry botha, just was giving you a hard time ;)

Weird about the marks on the plastic though. I would assume those same marks would be on the white iphone on display at the apple store? I'll have to go check it out to make sure...

13. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Pics please ? My white iPhone arrives Monday. :/

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If a magic eraser won't get it off then nothing, short of acid, will.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

this is predictable ... the Home button will discolour quickly

16. LoveBrisk macrumors newbie

LoveBrisk

Just let the dirt build up... it makes it look sexy and used. People be like "he uses his iPhone a lot, look" ah yeah :)

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Without pictures I have to say this post is false. None of the other people w/ white iPhones have said this and none of the iPhones at the Apple store have had this either...

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

White one doesn't show finger prints as much but dirt is more obvious. The black one shows finger prints like crazy but dirt isn't seen.

Choose your OCD poison. ;)

19. JackSpearo macrumors regular

I'm being unbiased here, but when I first got my white iphone 4, I put the invisibleshield on it, and I haven't had even 1 dirty mark on it or anything... it's brand new looking... I LOVE it...

the only thing I'm sorta upset with, is the invisibleshield is sorta causing rainbow streaks on the front screen... i thought about switching the front out to a wrapsol screen...

put some invisibleshield plastic on it, you won't regret it!

I also have the white bumper and it doesn't cause the plastic to come up or anything... :)

I just wish I could use the iphone 4 bumper with the dock... I had to choose one, I chose the bumper for extra protection over the dock... sniff...

20. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

There is no need for expensive protective shields, I bought a front and back screen protector pack of 10 for like a quid or something from eBay, it is excellent, had it on since day 1 and still holding up pretty amazingly. Zagg says that their shields are rated military grade protection, let's be honest if you're not planning on going to war with your iPhone then you should apply a more cheaper protector that offers the same function.

21. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

The face and back of the phone (including home button) won't discolour through dirt as the white paint is set underneath the clear glass surface! What the original poster is referring to is a band of White paint around the side of the glass adjacent to the metal bands. This is a rather odd matt finish bit like Tipex (White out for you foreigners) looks like a bit of an afterthought and given the finish is likely to rub off or pick up dirt

22. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not that anyone is going to read this far back, but the Magic Eraser is abrasive -
    don't use it on your phone.

23. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 65816

drew0020

You got me. I've been member for 5 years and have decided to post that y white iPhone gets dirty because I have an issue with Apple. Come on. If I had another camera right now I'd take a pic. I'm OCD about my Apple stuff. The white border gets dirty to fast. I'm working it with soap but after 10-15 minutes in a pocket the phone should not be dirty.

Anyway it's to nice here to be defending myself. Back to the lake I go!

24. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Kinda weird..i have had my conversion kit on for i don't know i guess a month now and dont have any dirt issues anywhere. I do use a screen protector on front and back and a bumper. Dont have any issues with the sides either.

25. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 65816

drew0020

The front and back white glass is fine. It's the matte white plastic finish that seems to attract dirt. For the most part I could remove the dirt but I didn't feel like having to do that daily.

I returned my phone already because I didn't like seeing the dirt/grime collecting on the phone. Otherwise I thought the color looked great!