White or Black - what did you pick?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whynotgotovegas, Mar 10, 2012.

?

White or Black

1. White

42.1%
  2. Black

57.9%
  1. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

So what did you ge when you preordered your iPad (3)? White or black, and why?. I personally am waiting for "The Newer iPad" (iPad 4) but I do have a white 16GB iPad 2 :)

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

3. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Played with white at the Apple Store and absolutely hated the pale yellow way it looked in the light. It clashes with the screen. It looks worlds better on the iPhone than on the iPad.

I went with black.

4. dsdrury macrumors newbie

Black, I think it contrasts better with the screen.

5. whynotgotovegas thread starter macrumors member

I have a white iPad 2 and even though I love it very much, my next iPad will be black. I don't regret getting the white, but if I knew what I know now I would have gotten black. However, when I buy my iPhone when my contract is up in about a week, I will be getting white. I agree with you, the white looks way better on the iPods and iPhones then on the iPad.

6. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

Went with the white iPad.. I've had two black iPhone's and a black iPod. Ready to change it up. Plus, I don't plan on watching many movies on my iPad.. mostly just web browsing and apps!

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I had a feeling I would regret getting a white iPad, so I had to go to the Apple Store and play with both to see which color I liked. I just feel that the iPad is a media-heavy device, and that the white border distracts from movies, ebooks, pictures, etc.

I like my white 4S, but I even regret it slightly! I hate the way dust and dirt gathers around the home button, and how the white plastic around the screen scuffs. It makes it look slightly cheaper than the black.

I'd rather have fingerprints than dirt buildup.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I was happy with my first generation in black so I went for black this time. My wife went with white for her iPad 2.

9. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

What is that you know now that would've made you pick black when you got the iPad 2?

LT

10. Xanthos macrumors member

I've always loved the white iPad. I owned the iPad 1 but not 2.

So when the Apple Store opened after the media event, I went straight for the white one.

12 hours and a good sleep later, I called Apple to change my order to black.

I did some research and compared pictures. And after changing my order, I went to the nearest mall to check out both colours and I'm glad I made the switch.

I figured, I love the white one because it's aesthetically beautiful. But I'll probably get sick of it in a month. Practically, the black one is the way to go. As many articles on tech blogs stated, there's a reason why televisions have black frames.

I'll probably envy those with the white iPad whenever I see them on the street, but I rather be envious than having buyer's remorse.

Anyway, during my research, these are the 2 pictures that sealed the deal for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jc3 macrumors newbie

I got both a Black and White WiFi 16GB but will probably sell the White one and keep the black one. As the previous poster showed viewing video content on a white iPad can sometimes be distracting. Also if the screen somehow does not display perfect whites (blue or yellowish) then it will look really weird, but I guess the same could be said for blacks (greyish) on the black iPad. What sealed the deal for me is my MacBook Pro, I look at the black boarder around it and think how fugly a white boarder would be.

12. Rogue. macrumors regular

13. maclook macrumors 65816

@Xanthos
    That's what happens when you overanalyze by looking at pictures and online comparisons. In reality, you're not going to be watching a movie and flip out like "I can't focus on the screen!!!!".

I've owned a black and white iPhone. After a week, you don't notice the bezel when you use the phone. The color only really matters when you're not using it and it's sitting on a table or something. There's nothing technical about choosing a color. Just choose a color that feels good and be done with it.

14. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I had a Black iPad 2 and I have a Black iPhone 4S, when I walk out of the store on friday, I will have the 64GB+AT&T LTE in Black in my hand, like the way it looks and also makes the screen look better.

btw, This is my 500th post!!!

15. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Great post, very informative :D

16. MadMitch89 macrumors regular

I went with black, specifically because I feel it blends in with edges of apps better. I have a white iPhone 4S and I must say, preferred my black 3GS.

17. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Black!

White makes NO sense to me.

And those pictures above REALLY seal the deal even though I already ordered black 32gb anyway.

I think white is to flashy and ... ohh look at my iPad kinda look.

Black is sleek and stealth looking and just plain cool at all times without trying.

18. Xanthos macrumors member

I've asked on a local forum and have received responses from people who actually flipped out and sold their iPad. Some bought skins or cases that covers the white bezel.

And being the obsessive me, I know I'll definitely go nuts if the white bezel distracts me from watching my movie.

19. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I'm on the fence, I like the white but worry it could be distracting or flashy. I don't watch movies or much long form video content at all on my iPad though, mainly reading, browsing and other informational type stuff. Will be watching the answers in this thread as interested in others thoughts.

I had the black iPad 2 and was always envious of white iPads, I have the white iPhone 4S which I love, but just not sure on the white iPad though..

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Black. I find white distracting. Everytime I hold a white iPad the bezel is screaming at me -- "why do you always want to stare at the screen? Look at me! Look at me!"

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

LOL congrats on your 500th post:)

22. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I own a white iPad 2 and now am torn on what color my new iPad will be. I got a white one because I like the aesthetics, and everyone has a black one and I wanted something different. For viewing purposes the black one is less obtrusive, however mine stays in a case anyway. White will probably be my next choice again. :D

23. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

There is a reason TV's have black around the screens, so it does not take away or distract from the picture. For the best user experience and picture quality black is the best choice. Having said that if you prefer the style of white get white. Thats why there are options.

24. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

There's a huge difference in the bezels on the iPhone and iPad in terms of thickness and overall presence. I own a white iPhone, and even I think the white iPad looks pretty bad. It REALLY alters the feel of the device and takes away from the simplicity of iOS.

To those who are unsure- I urge you to go to the store and play with a white and black iPad 2. Apple makes the white look really good on their site, but using it in person is an entirely different experience.

25. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I don't watch videos on my iPad that are longer than 10 minutes. If I really want to watch something I beam it over Airplay, the iPad is too small of a screen (and the wrong aspect ratio) so videos are a bad idea (except on airplanes).

So mostly it's reading & pictures, which means white is perfectly fine for me.

I have had black iPads in the past (1st gen and 2nd gen) but it's time for change, give me something new to look at (besides the beautiful retina display).

----------

Funny, I went to the store, and played with other people's white iPads, and while you are right it is an entirely different experience, but instead of not liking it I actually found it to be a good thing.