Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lc96

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2011
$110? I checked twice and it said $120 both times. Either way, it's SUPER offensive of Apple. Last year the trade for AW3 was $250. Bad, but not as bad as $120. Absolutely ridiculous.

So short answer? Maybe. My AW4 is giving me issues recording exercise minutes...again (probably software related).
[doublepost=1568164650][/doublepost]Last year traded in a series 3 and received $225. $100 for the 4 one year later. I'll pass on the upgrade.

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines
Very tempted to trade-in mine just to get the US version and have the ECG. But kinda disappointed with the low trade-in price this year when last year was higher. Will see the reviews once it’s out.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
$110? I checked twice and it said $120 both times. Either way, it's SUPER offensive of Apple. Last year the trade for AW3 was $250. Bad, but not as bad as $120. Absolutely ridiculous.

So short answer? Maybe. My AW4 is giving me issues recording exercise minutes...again (probably software related).

Yep $110 (USA) for my 44mm SBSS S4. I saw someone else post the same amount for their 44mm GSS S4. Then to add INSULT to injury it seems Apple is only offering $10 less for an aluminum S4! I really need to take a “chance” on aluminum for my S6 next year as I actually think the space gray aluminum looks great and I wouldn’t be bothered at all vs. my space black stainless BUT I am worried the Ion-X Glass will be all scratched up and bother me vs. my perfect sapphire on my S0, S3 and S4. It would make it so much easier to justify upgrading each year though...

Reactions: CarolG

lc96

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2011
Yep $110 (USA) for my 44mm SBSS S4. I saw someone else post the same amount for their 44mm GSS S4. Then to add INSULT to injury it seems Apple is only offering $10 less for an aluminum S4! I really need to take a “chance” on aluminum for my S6 next year as I actually think the space gray aluminum looks great and I wouldn’t be bothered at all vs. my space black stainless BUT I am worried the Ion-X Glass will be all scratched up and bother me vs. my perfect sapphire on my S0, S3 and S4. It would make it so much easier to justify upgrading each year though...
[doublepost=1568170797][/doublepost]Now I’m wondering if these poor trade-in values are Apple’s way of passing on Trump’s tariffs to us.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
The bump from 16GB to 32GB has me interested, but no, will hold off for the series 6. $110 just isn’t enough incentive especially as I bought my 4 in May 2019.

That piqued my interest for a bit but then I was thinking: “What could I possibly want to put on a watch that would even fill that?”

I barely even know what to do with the 16GB I already have on my S4 watch.

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
US
Eh, no reason for me to upgrade. I love my Series 4 and the Series 5 really doesn't offer anything more that I need....looks identical, I don't care enough about the "always on display", the battery life is great, etc.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I am. Have had the SS model of every Watch except the S4 which I purchased aluminum. I was worried that I would scratch the display and that worry was legit it's pretty scratched up. The rest of my watches with the saphire display were mint with zero scratches. I used this as an excuse to purchase the Titanium model and I am pretty excited. Also, I see everyone saying the new watch didn't get a CPU upgrade but that is false. The new CPU may not be faster but I have never thought the Series 4 was slow.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I will be. I purchased the Space Gray Aluminum Series 4 last fall. I loved the watch itself but I was in constant fear of the display getting scratched or damaged because of the Ion X glass. So I will be selling this one and going Series 5 Stainless Steel.

I owned a series 4 with the ion x glass and no scratches. Owned since October 2018. If that’s the only reason tbh save your money

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I think if I had an aluminum watch I might have but with a SBSS S4 that I paid $750 and Apple is offering $110!!! for I will just wait for Series 6. I am torn if I should go to aluminum as I don't think I truly care about the SBSS vs. SG Aluminum look but I do care about the sapphire screen but $750 a year for yearly upgrades with only $110 (Apple) or maybe $250-300 on Ebay make it seem to frivolous even if I have the cash.

I was afraid of getting the reg glass coming from a ss series 2 but I’m fine with my aluminum so far.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

My almost year old ion glass is perfect

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Is it not common in US to sell stuff on other sites? Here in Sweden I can almost get twice the money by selling directly to someone, compared to what Apple gives me.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Very little features added from Watch 4 to Watch 5. Besides always on.

who is upgrading?

I will. Waiting for Always On since the first watch launched lol.
This will be the most useful feature of the watch to date. Make the watch a watch finally.

(I’m from S3 though so it’s a no brainer)

Last edited:

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Initially I was like, yes finally, they've added the one feature I've always wanted.

But I also read 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k', at the weekend, which made me think, I really shouldn't give a...

I'll wait another year. Upgrading tech every few years is an atrocity, let alone after just a year which is mindless. So I'll chill and do my bit.

Am really glad Apple finally cracked the always on thing. Something to look forward to. Also super keen on seeing what the Titanium models look like and how they review after a few months of wear. Might be up for a grey one of those next year. My S4 Stainless Silver one has held up really well, and I'm guilty of throwing it into a bag with keys, or pocket with coins in it every now and then.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Series 5 [snip]....looks identical
I thought like that, until I saw the presenters wearing them on stage. The visual difference between this watch and every previous watch is huge because of the always-on display.

Only a real geek can spot the differences between earlier watches. Anyone can spot that you have an always-on display.

GroningenNL

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Groningen
Not me, hopefully in the near future the other versions beside the standard AW and AW Nike will be available in the Netherlands.

So the AW series 5 isn't a big upgrade comming from the AW 4.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Like the vast majority here, I’d love, “Always On” but my Series 4 is less than 5 months old and when I bought I targeted keeping it for 3 years.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Going to stick with my S4. Will upgrade when my battery doesn’t get through a whole day, probably around Series 7. Hopefully more health monitoring features will be in it by then. Always on display is great, but nowhere near enough for me to justify upgrading.

Think if you have a S3 or below and can afford it, the S5 is a no brainer. I went from S3 to S4 as I loved the rounder design, seems to make the previous models look a bit old fashioned.

Reactions: rMBP2013

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Is it not common in US to sell stuff on other sites? Here in Sweden I can almost get twice the money by selling directly to someone, compared to what Apple gives me.
Good luck with that. The market is flooded with these already. When the potential buyers find out Apple is offering only $110, they try to low ball you.

My SS AW3 MIGHT be sold today at $200. Neither eBay nor Craigslist offered any more than $250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.