Who Bought Applecare for their 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theturtle, Mar 27, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

I know, after every product launch theres the obligitory "is applecare worth it".

Unfortunately this will have to be it :)

I wasn't able to use my AMEX on this purchase so im not covered by my card after the original warranty runs out. Trying to decide if Applecare is actually worth it. Its probably cause i have a new toy in my hand that makes me want applecare so theres probably some bias in my justification.

So who objectively thinks that applecare for the new ipad is worth it?

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

$100 initially then $50 for brand new iPad should anything happen(accidental and liquid)
    Sounds good to me
    And I'll be able to sell it for more in a year by just getting a new one and selling as new

Otherwise please look at the huge AppleCare+ thread that's already been in discussion for a few weeks now

3. drober30 macrumors 6502a

You will spend $150 for the oopertunity to sell your iPad for more? How much more do you think you could get compared to another fully functional iPad? $150?

I think any replacement would have to be advertised as a refurb, not new.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Passed on Applecare. If it blows up after the one year warranty, I'll buy another one.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

How about if you drop it and it shatters in 2 months?

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

If you got the 4G model and you plan on taking it everywhere with yo like I do it is worth it. I am fearless about sticking this thing into a bag now.

7. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I bought it for my 1 and it never came into play, broke down and bought it for my 2 still no damage, not gonna get it for the 3.

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I never bought it before (except for my MacBookPro) but I have my Genius bar appointment tonight to inspect mine to purchase AppleCare+. I'm planning on keeping this iPad for 2 years vs the 1 year each I kept original and iPad 2.

Since it goes everywhere with me and gets such heavy use (ballooning, travel, work, etc), I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that if something stupid happens I have a replacement for $150 AppleCare+ plus $49 fee) instead of the $900 it initially cost.

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Then he deserves it. Same goes with me. If I break my new toy in 2 months I deserve the loss of the toy. Simple as that.

----------

I never bought AppleCare... Probably never will. My wife has it on her mbp I picked up used on amazon for a great deal. It came with the AppleCare. Made it a better deal for me. So in THAT case AppleCare benefited the seller because I bought their mbp over another used ones cause of the peace of mind.

For me though I resell everything in the the first year so I rarely need "insurance" and I am extremely careful to an OCD level with my stuff.

10. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Also passed on AppleCare. My credit card covers faiure for an additional year after the free year from Apple, total 2 years. Also, at the end of the 2nd year my credit card allows me to buy an additional 2 years coverage for $66. Total of $66 for 4 years. No deductible with any of this.

I know I'm not covered for accidental breakage or theft, but since I have a wifi-only and don't travel with it, that's very unlikely.

11. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I bought it...seems like good insurance since I will keep this iPad for 2 years like my iPad 1. No need to worry about letting friends or family use it and dropping it.

12. phantomsauce macrumors member

I almost did for a 32GB WIFI on launch day but decided to spend that money towards the upgrade to a 32GB AT&T model instead. I tend to take pretty good care of my electronics so it seemed unnecessary.

13. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I have used AC for my iMac, it was worth it.

I bought it for this iPad too.

Generally anything over 500.00 I put some form of insurance on.

14. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

No, applecare is a waste of money that takes advantage of paranoia.

My #1 rule for buying electronics is to NEVER buy extended warranties.

15. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I drink beer.
    I have 2 dogs.
    I have 2 cats.

Applecare is entirely justified, especially with accident coverage. In 2008, I gave an HP laptop to my gf, set it up and placed a pint of Guinness ~3 feet away. Golden Retriever runs in, tail smacks the full pint and hits the middle of the keyboard dead on :)

Tom

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I bought the AppleCare plus after my buddy cracked his screen in an accident. I exchanged for the 32Gb Verizon model so I figure about $800 with tax, so it'd just be easier to pay $150 should I drop it or have a big accident. Plus one more year of regular coverage doesn't hurt.

It's just less hassles then buying a screen on eBay for a DIY repair or going through a 3rd party. That time and stress involved is worth something too, IMO.

I think extended warranties are a waste, but when they cover accidental damage and handling it becomes worth it, especially for something like this.

17. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Wirelessly posted

I sometimes drop things. My iPhone has hit the floor a couple times and survived without a scratch....this iPad, though, is much larger and probably more susceptible to damage. I bought it!

18. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I keep my iPads for at least two years.... so for me it's worth it.

19. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

If it didn't cover accidental damage, I'd pass. But since it does, it's a buy.

For the MBP, 3 years of hardware replacement was what I was looking for, since it's a portable machine and things can go wrong (hd's, vid cards, etc). If it was an iMac, I might not have gotten AppleCare. But that's just me. :)

20. onomike macrumors newbie

Bought it because of the accidental damage coverage. A colleague dropped his iPad 2 and shattered the screen - the repair at a non-Apple shop cost over $200. I'm more of a klutz than my friend so the money seems well-spent.

21. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

I'm with you when it comes to that rule, except when it comes to laptops or tablets. When the cost of replacing the LCD is very high, it's generally worth the extra coverage for peace of mind even if I never use it.
    I've been in the computer break/fix industry for 16 years now and I can tell you that it is worth it for me knowing what can happen to devices that are mainly all lcd

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I did. It will likely fetch me a few extra bucks at resale plus give me peace of mind.

23. nd3eb macrumors member

exactly the reason I bought it.

No more worries about my young nephews playing with it, or being nervous if a friend is borrowing it

24. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

I don't think that some people who didn't buy it realize that AppleCare+ covers accidental damage. From some of the replies from people who didn't get it, they are not mentioning the damage coverage.
    If damage coverage wasn't offered with AppleCare+ I wouldn't have gotten it.

Also, when I called apple to buy coverage they offered me AppleCare for $69 and AppleCare+ for $99. AppleCare+ is the only one that covers accidental coverage. FYI.

25. breezyf808 macrumors regular

so i got the applecare protection plan at target with the purchase of the new iPad and it costed $91.
    I dropped and cracked the screen already but didn't put the protection screen on it yet.. what should i do.
    i don't know if it's the ac+ one either... help please