Who else hates all the landscape now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

(I know there's no solution here, I'm just complaining. Don't read if that's not the kind of thread you like.)

I'm not missing a way to turn this landscape junk off, right?

Everywhere I go now, stuff is rotating. Landscape mail. Landscape notes. Landscape text messages. Ugh.

Landscape mode is useful in Safari, Photos, and the iPod. There's a point to it in those situations. The rest is just annoying.

They were right to leave this "feature" out for 2 years, but I guess they eventually gave in to the complaints. Ok, fine. But why didn't they then put an option in the settings to disable this? They obviously knew it was annoying or they would have put it in 2 years ago! If you're gonna give in to complainers, that's fine, but you need to leave a way for the rest of us to ignore it, ok Apple?

2. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

3. astrobanana macrumors regular

my hair is a bird your argument is invalid

you are the minority in this situation, as most people have been wanting landscape in most of those apps that you said they were not needed in.

4. chrisblore macrumors regular

I don't mean to be a smart arse but couldn't you just stop it from going landscape by not rotating the phone? Or am I missing the point :confused:

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

& i have bicycles on my feet

6. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Well, I mean... just hold the phone right side up and you should be fine, right?

Unless you enjoy spinning your phone around in your hands while you text or write e-mail... in that case, maybe it IS annoying for you. Weirdo. ;)

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

While it is true that a lot of people (including me) have wanted Landscape for email for a long time now, The OP is actually right.

I work for a software company and I can tell you for a fact, that when you cave and make a hard change, you are going to piss off nearly as many people as you make happy.

My company refuses to see the light too though, so Apple is not alone. There should be an option to disable it, period. That is the difference between robust programming and force it down your throat programming.

8. pseudonymph macrumors member

Personally I love being able to email and text in landscape, but I do wish there was a way to lock the screen orientation. I think a feature like that would help your situation too since you could just keep it locked to portrait.

9. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

:D

Attached Files:

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I find landscape annoying at times, sometimes I'm using the phone in bed and if lean either side (even just by a little bit), the phone rotates to landscape mode meaning I can't use it in portrait mode without forcing myself to keep the phone absolutely upright. It's annoying. I'd prefer if they just put a toggle in settings to enable or disable the landscape mode, in fact some apps already have that option.

11. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I totally agree with OP.
    the landscape is nice, but i would like either a way to disable it or integrate a delay into it so if your texting with one hand or holding the phone at an angle it doesnt go switching over on ya.

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

13. Que macrumors 6502

don't be ridiculous, that'd NEVER work :p

14. jajohns8 macrumors regular

15. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right, exactly.

If it rotated when I hit 80 degrees, that'd be one thing, but it's more sensitive than that. If I start to recline in my chair a little bit it's constantly flipping back and forth.

I'm glad that the constant back and forth doesn't bother most of you, but I find it annoying.

Sorry.

16. Que macrumors 6502

is there any way to turn off mms, cut and paste, landscape, the horrible speed boost that came with 3.0, 3g, in fact anything good about 3.0?

i want it all gone so that i can complain to apple and demand they put it in the next update.

17. iwb macrumors newbie

You hit the nail on the head! I'm one that doesn't like typing with the wide keyboard or reading in Landscape mode so I'd also like the option to turn it off. I bought a Bible app (BibleXpress) that enabled Landscape, but since the guy had good business sense, he gave an option and I promptly disabled it.

I hope a future update will give us the option.

I was happy before they messed with it! ;)

18. kolax macrumors G3

Haha, I agree. I've never really wanted landscape stuff, it's nice it's there but an option to turn it off would be good.

I got a text when I was in my bed, I read it lying sideways and the phone rotates to landscape which is annoying!

Best example is when listening to music in bed or somewhere and you are lying sideways, you end up in Cover Flow rather than being able to skim sideways.

I'm just complaining too.

19. soonerfan macrumors member

20. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Can I ask why? When in landscape the keyboard covers so much screen I feel like I'm using an old LCD pager again. I like being able to see what I've written without scrolling forever.

I'm just trying to understand the appeal. Honest question!

21. jajohns8 macrumors regular

I, too, am in software development.

It's always a debate as to what should be the 'default,' what should be user defined, etc.

This is the case in large enterprise apps, or, in this case a mobile implementation of an Operating System.

Unfortunately, you can't make every change that every user wants, right when they want it in a large, robust application.

You make a priority list. You knock out what you think happens to be the priority, first.

Does that piss off some people? Ofcourse.

Will you get to everyone's little niche issue to make them happy? You hope to.

Sure, it would be nice for EVERYTHING to have a toggle, but then the less technically inclined users get overwhlemed when they open up the settings page and see 3000 settings.

It's a balance.

22. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

bigger keyboard for people with larger fingers maybe?

23. jajohns8 macrumors regular

Sure.
    All I know to say is that it's bigger.

The keyboard is bigger and just feels more comfortable for me to type in, in landscape mode. I seem to type better like that.

I've also had the issue while lying in bed, it flipping when I didnt want it to.
    Perhaps the accelerometer programming can be altered to account for this?

24. astrobanana macrumors regular

you could ask yourself what was the argument FOR the landscape keyboard to be implemented in the first place

25. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I guess that must be it.

I find the spacing between the keys makes it harder to type. Also, the way the phone presses into my hand when holding it sideways makes it hard to reach all the keys easily. So from my perspective, landscaping makes it harder to type AND harder to see what you're doing. I call that a lose-lose situation.

Obviously it appeals to a lot of folks out there, but those aren't things I like.

Oh well, like I said, I'm not expecting a solution here. (And yes, I do feel better now, for whoever asked that.)