Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it worth it?

• Total voters

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I'm going to be in New York on October 5th and am curious as to who else I might run into at the Hermès store on Madison Avenue.

I have my eye on the Single Tour, for the record.

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I am going to get one. I was leaning towards the 42 Single Tour in Fauve, but now I am looking at the 42 Cuff.

I am looking at either Miami or NYC.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I'm thinking about it. :D
$1250 for a genuine Hermès is a steal. I'm just hoping that I'm not in line behind a bunch of poseurs. I might also pick up a scarf for my mother as a birthday gift while I'm there.

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
The traditional fauve.

Have you spoken with anyone at Hermès Madison?

I called Hermès in the Miami design district and they told me they wouldn't have them until November because they were relocating. I've yet to speak to anyone at Hermès, an Apple Store, or at Apple customer service who knows anything about this offering.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Have you spoken with anyone at Hermès Madison?

I called Hermès in the Miami design district and they told me they wouldn't have them until November because they were relocating. I've yet to speak to anyone at Hermès, an Apple Store, or at Apple customer service who knows anything about this offering.

I have not. I did note that the Hermès website says sales start 10/5. I did sign up for the email alert. I'll give them a call, but 4 Apple Stores in NYC also will carry the watch. I'm assuming that I'll find it somewhere. Worst case I'll ask a NYC colleague to make a straw purchase for me. ;)

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I have not. I did note that the Hermès website says sales start 10/5. I did sign up for the email alert. I'll give them a call, but 4 Apple Stores in NYC also will carry the watch. I'm assuming that I'll find it somewhere. Worst case I'll ask a NYC colleague to make a straw purchase for me. ;)

The person I spoke with at Hermès Miami was very polite, but I wonder if whomever I call at Hermès New York will be quite bothered by the question. Please report back. Haven't booked a flight yet.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
$1250 for a genuine Hermès is a steal. I'm just hoping that I'm not in line behind a bunch of poseurs. I might also pick up a scarf for my mother as a birthday gift while I'm there.

It's a steal but I already got SS. I'm thinking about waiting for Hermès Apple Watch 2. That would be grand. :D

Reactions: flur

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's a feminine design that looks great on the right woman.

I'll save the hassle:

Poster #1: "Has Apple clearly stated that the Double Tour is a ladies band?"
Poster #2: "Your view on what's feminine vs. masculine is purely opinion."
Poster #3: "If you're a guy and like it, then get it. You shouldn't care what others think."

Blah, blah, blah, it's the Modern Buckle all over again ;)

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I'll save the hassle:

Poster #1: "Has Apple clearly stated that the Double Tour is a ladies band?"
Poster #2: "Your view on what's feminine vs. masculine is purely opinion."
Poster #3: "If you're a guy and like it, then get it. You shouldn't care what others think."

Blah, blah, blah, it's the Modern Buckle all over again ;)

So far only women have been used in marketing for the Double Tour. In fact, I do not think I have seen a man used in any of the marketing for any of the bands yet.

The Double Tour is only available with the 38 mm case, and in the world of watches the smaller of two offered cases is almost always designed for a ladies watch.

While Apple has not clearly stated it, I expect someone at Hermès would almost certainly tell you that it is feminine and a ladies band, as they do with their mechanical watches.

While Apple products are unisex, Hermès products are most decidedly not, which is why even the Capucine band on the Single Tour is only available with the 38mm case.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The Double Tour band has been used on women's watches for years now.

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
This. Sell it to me separately (and gimme the watch faces).

Quite frankly I was surprised to learn this wasn't what they were going to be doing. As I already owned a 42 SS I thought I'd just be able to purchase a Hermès band and change it out. Then, when I learned it would not be available for sale online I became even more bothered by it.

I have come to the conclusion that perhaps that there will not be many of these made and it exists simply to generate media buzz - which it has.

However, I am still committed to fight to get one in either NYC or MIA, as the difficulty in obtaining it has only increased my desire for it.

For what it's worth, when I saw $1100-$1500, I assumed that was just for the band based on Hermès pricing. Thrilled that it includes the Apple Watch at that price. Bargain, such as it is.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Wife says she's getting one... we have SBSS already, and she's planning on keeping that to wear at work/while in uniform. I don't see the need, honestly... especially if she's not going to sell the other one. Here's hoping for an Omega or Movado collaboration.

Side note: I wonder if we'll see Hermès edition wearers using any of the standard watch faces. Seems pointless, no? Maybe not, if all one really wanted was the strap/band.

Reactions: SHNXX

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Wife says she's getting one... we have SBSS already, and she's planning on keeping that to wear at work/while in uniform. I don't see the need, honestly... especially if she's not going to sell the other one. Here's hoping for an Omega or Movado collaboration.

Side note: I wonder if we'll see Hermès edition wearers using any of the standard watch faces. Seems pointless, no? Maybe not, if all one really wanted was the strap/band.

I don't see Omega ever collaborating and here's why. Omega has one of the best movements in the world. When you think Omega you think movement - their faces and their bands are secondary. Way down the list secondary.

Movado is more of a fashion watch - not much in the way of precious metals or advanced movements. It does have a signature face, however ... but round.

I think in the way of collaboration you're going to see it done with companies for whom watches are a secondary product ... an accessory. Other leather goods companies like Louis Vuitton, Prada, Coach, etc. Perhaps a jewelry manufacturer like Tiffany & Co. that would feature a sterling silver band.

But if a company's first (or only) product is watches I can't see them doing this.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I don't see Omega ever collaborating and here's why. Omega has one of the best movements in the world. When you think Omega you think movement - their faces and their bands are secondary. Way down the list secondary.

Movado is more of a fashion watch - not much in the way of precious metals or advanced movements. It does have a signature face, however ... but round.

I think in the way of collaboration you're going to see it done with companies for whom watches are a secondary product ... an accessory. Other leather goods companies like Louis Vuitton, Prada, Coach, etc. Perhaps a jewelry manufacturer like Tiffany & Co. that would feature a sterling silver band.

But if a company's first (or only) product is watches I can't see them doing this.
Makes sense... I was thinking more along the lines of officially "licensing" the faces. I think you're absolutely correct that any other collabs will be more fashion/band related. I can already see a Burberry version on the horizon.

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Makes sense... I was thinking more along the lines of officially "licensing" the faces. I think you're absolutely correct that any other collabs will be more fashion/band related. I can already see a Burberry version on the horizon.

If they make a Burberry canvas band that's their classic check I will be all over that.

Reactions: kanon14

BigGuy219

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Jacksonville, FL

Here is a square Movado Luma begging to become an Apple Watch.

M1_2.jpg

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
If they make a Burberry canvas band that's their classic check I will be all over that.
You KNOW it's coming. With Angela onboard, that's a given. Hell, Burberry has an Apple Music channel, for God knows what reason. Burberry, Coach, LV... I can, at the very least, see band collections coming - if not the entire package.

Movado and Omega are two of the watches I wear; thinking about it, an Omega-inspired version would be interesting - but ultimately pointless. Same for a Rolex, etc. The Simple face, with no details or complications, is pretty close to my favorite Movado as well.

Reactions: playaproved

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I was wondering how does WatchOS determine it is a Hermes edition.. Does the watch itself have a different hardware version? Or is it tied to the Apple ID and the watchface is automatically downloaded after each update or already present in WatchOS but hidden by default?

Reactions: DirtySocks85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.