Who else thinks that future iPhones should borrow one of Pixel's best new features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I have to admit that Google does come up with some damn innovative features once in a while, and the latest one is called Edge Sense. Just imagine the new possibilities with Edge Sense on iPhone!!

For the first time, I’m kinda envious of Pixel users.

P.S. For those that are unfamiliar with Edge Sense, it basically lets you squeeze the sides of your phone to invoke a function, e.g., search, flashlight, app, etc.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It seems really awkward.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    The Pixels best feature is the always on display that automatically tells you the music that is currently playing on the lock screen.

Not the music on your phone, the music playing in the place you are. (Shops/cafes/clubs) etc

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Didn't HTC have a feature like this as well?

4. eric3312 macrumors 6502

Give it 3 to 5 years and you’ll have it on iPhone. (E.g. wireless charging, OLED screens, etc)

5. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

HTC U11

the pixel 2 is made by htc but the xl is made by lg

6. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I would pass, not sure what value it brings. Open to it potentially down the road though if it matures a bit.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Google finalized a partial buyout of HTC's smartphone team, so they probably usurped the patent for it.

And no, I don't think it's anymore useful than pressing to hold or saying "Hey Google". If this ever came to the iPhone it would be an immediate disable for me. It also compromises the structural integrity of the device.

8. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

My galaxy s7 Active has an additional button on the side and you can program it to do many things.

The novelty wore off after few days.

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

That is what happens with novelties.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

None the less, it's still interesting Google is offering a function that some may find useful. It's like 3D Touch, some feel it's a gimmick and others find it useful, but not everybody will share the same views on it.

11. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Nah.

Most of the "features" of Android phones are just half-baked gimmicks for the marketing team.

Then come the "but my phone does this this and this, your iPhone doesn't do that!"

...yeah, because Apple actually makes sure features are ready for primetime and actually add to the user experience before throwing stuff in just for the sake of saying "WE DID IT FIRST!"

12. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Completely agree. The iPhone 8 Plus is my first device with 3D Touch & most of the times I just forget it’s even there. Although getting used to it slowly.

I think Apple should provide a way to determine the apps that have 3D Touch support from the home screen.

13. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Oh really? Please tell me how Apple made sure fast charging and wireless charging was ready for prime time? What improvements did they make to both to get those features ready? Both features are actually worst than wireless charging and fast charging from android manufacturers today.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't say Edge Sense is the Pixels best feature--it's the real time translate function that is enabled when you pair it with the Pixel headphones. THAT is game changing and once that feature finds its way to more devices it will have an impact on the world.

There have been transalation headphones before, but they work with fewer languages, are more expensive and more clunky. You can always use a translate app on your phone to display/read a translation sure--but this enables speaking to another person in real time with each of you using a different language with very little lag.

Too bad Google limited it to the Pixel phone, which I don't see a huge market for. The reason was because they can't control firmware updates on third party devices which may cause the function to break or not work properly. However, they could have worked with Samsung to bring it to the mainstream.

15. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

Apple let the rest of the word be a test subjects and let them spend money on R&D before releasing such products of their own. Duhh

16. Applejuiced, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So kinda like having Shazam always on?
    Wouldnt that drain battery if it always listens for sounds to compare to a music database to display you the results 24/7?

17. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Without having to squeeze, the display bulges out.... and your saying to squeeze to allow some function?

In all seriousness, the squeezing is gimmicky. I would prefer to have gesture recognition using the true depth camera to perform specific actions.

18. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

I can't say I would find this feature interesting enough to use long-term.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I say not. Apple should not be chasing google/pixie features.

20. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

LOL.

They both work fine on iPhone.

21. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

I think it’s pretty retarded.
    Every time you grab your pixel it going to launch assistant.

22. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Yeah they do work okay. Just not as good as other phones.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Oh yeah...Riiiiight. So before the excuse was let others do it half bake. Now its Apple needs to watch other companies implement new technology and watch and learn how its done. Hmm now that you mention it, I agree.

23. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Herein lies the problem. I’m an iPhone user, but anyone who thinks Apple is innovating has either lost their mind or not paying attention...maybe both. Apple would do itself good, and has, by “chasing” Google features.

24. macTW macrumors 65816

You misspelled “safer”

25. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

Features that many people don’t need and have no use for? What’s next, fidget spinners on phones?
    What else do you want an iPhone to do that people truly need?