Who else thinks that future iPhones should borrow one of Pixel's best new features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Oct 5, 2017.

1. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

It’s comments like this that leave me shaking my head. iOS 11 is a freaking dumpster fire and you say this??? Amazing.

2. mebehere macrumors regular

Every thread. Apple apologists. Even though other Apple fans have an open mind.

It's like mind control. Why should the fanboys care about or **** on innovative features from other phones?

I'm convinced it literally makes their penises a bit smaller through psychosomatic panic.

3. drzen macrumors member

drzen

And that wallpaper especially works well because, you know, its not covered with icons cluttering the screen :)

4. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I'm game as long as it has nothing to do with Google's right to invade other user's privacy like their Android phones :D

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Might I remind you, you are on an Apple related website, so naturally views are strong for Apple products. I have no idea why some need to inappropriately use the wording "Apple apologists", when that doesn't even apply in most situations, nor how would you be able to define that over text on an Internet forum.

6. fokmik macrumors 65816

the squeeze it has no long life ahead, since all the phones become almost bezel free...you dont want to put every day pressure to the edge of the oled display

7. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

Now Playing & Google Lens look like really useful features.

8. woozor1 macrumors regular

apple must be gutted they didnt come up with the now playing feature, that so seems like it should be on a iphone.

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Very surprised this hasn't been done before. Live Wallpapers as well.
    I sense Google are getting serious with Pixel 2 and have hired a great Team to move to the next level.

10. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Your kidding right.

11. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Are you referring to 3D touch
    Live wallpaper or Dynamic wallpaper as I believe those two are slightly different.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Edge sense to activate Siri?

The iPhone already uses the power button to do that on the X.

13. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Apple has had dynamic and live wallpaper for a while.
    I was referring to your opinion on google getting serious about hardware.
    Bloggers have been saying that since the nexus and the Motorola acquisition.
    Remember the nexus q, very few do.

14. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Google is NOT serious about hardware business. It’s not just about making devices with cutting edge technology. A hardware manufacturing and sales business model is way different to how google operates in general. The hardware google releases are always inspirational for other manufacturers to walk on. Google wants to show what’s possible. That doesn’t mean they’re going to run with it as a full fledged business.

In fact google being serious about smartphone manufacturing business will seriously damage their relationship with the bigger android partners like Samsung and as a business they certainly wouldn’t wanna do that.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think the fact that they bought a sizeable chunk of HTC shows that they are getting serious about hardware. They were always a software company and now it seems they want to get into hardware but they didn’t really have the infrastructure for like other OEMs like Apple, Samsung and LG. I think by buying part of HTC it will give them a big starting point.

16. deany macrumors 68030

deany

To be fair the Live wallpaper you refer to that apple has had for a long time is 3D touch not actual Live wallpaper per se.

Not familiar with nexus q but watching this years Google event reminded me when I used to get excited by an apple event.
    Very highly polished and slick.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    I hear what you are saying, but I have watched previous live Google events and there was something very different about this recent one Wednesday 4th October 2017 that made me think it was a 'defining moment'.

17. Radon87000 macrumors 601

I got more excited watching them Google event than Apple’s iPhone X unveiling.

18. Diorama macrumors regular

Maybe because it hadn’t all leaked beforehand?

19. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

You can already squeeze the phone when you hand over the iPhone so it disables Face ID for a limited time.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

A lot of it did leak I just didn’t pay too much attention to it as u did with the iPhone X.

21. Radon87000 macrumors 601

The Google products had also leaked but the thing is I felt Google was giving more bang for the buck with the Pixel phones than the iPhones. I would get the Pixel over the iPhone 8 any day. Google’s software just felt more innovative and outstanding than Apple and I actually felt that’s Google put more effort into the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL than apple put into iPhone 8.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    They are definitely serious. The HTC acquisition proves it. Google also wants to show the world how pure Android uncluttered by skins actually looks like and we need a phone which gets Day 1 updates like the iPhone. Pixel phones aren’t going away and imo they are currently the iPhone of Android.

22. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Everyone said the same thing when google bought Motorola.

23. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

The you tube video you provided labels it as live wallpaper.

Yeah and technically googles ripping off Live Photo’s wasn’t technically a copy. Gotcha

24. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well Motorola were bought for patents. Also Motorola didn’t really have much going for them in terms of manufacturing. They were only one step ahead of blackberry in terms of being relics of the pre-smartphone era. HTC a few years back ruled the roost in terms of android OEMs.

25. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Right....google bought Motorola Mobility For 12.5 billion kept it for 3 years all the while using it to manufacture phones and android wear devices then unloaded it for less than $3 billion.

Yeah they got it for the patents. That’s why google purchased a factory in Fort Worth Texas for Motorola to manufacture android devices in the US...for the patents. Google closed that factory shortly after selling Motorola to Lenovo.

Motorola posted 6 straight quarters of losses before google decided to purchase it for 12.5 billion and sell it three years later for less than 3.

Herr are some snippiets from the acquisition way back in 2011

“Here’s the other important part of the PR (the why, and what happens to Android now):

The acquisition of Motorola Mobility, a dedicated Android partner, will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem and will enhance competition in mobile computing. Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.”

And

“In a blog post, Google co-founder and CEO Larry Page writes that Google has acquired Motorola not only because of its strength in Android smartphones and devices, but also for being a “market leader in the home devices and video solutions business.”

Android tv and google tv were such failures.

But yeah primarily because of the patents. Lol.