Who else thinks that future iPhones should borrow one of Pixel's best new features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Oct 5, 2017.

1. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

That’s not the point. Apple has just stopped and now rests on its laurels. It’s a shadow of the company it used to be. And save the comments about how much the company is worth because I’m well aware of that and really it’s part of my point. Apple can produce crap...literally crap...and it will sell. It’s cool if you love Apple, I love Apple too, but don’t tell me that they are innovating because they aren’t.

2. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

You haven’t answered any of my questions.

3. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I can’t answer your questions. I don’t get paid millions of dollars to innovate...they do! For one, removing Touch ID is just stupid.

4. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

So you want something new but you don’t know what. Then you complain when you didnt get something new that you your self don’t know what you want.

Is that correct? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Before there was the iPhone, the iPad, the iPod, iTunes etc it was the customer/consumer telling or asking manufacturers what they want?
    Is that correct so we're on the same page?
    Do you know what innovation is?

6. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Innovation comes from imagination. Are you telling me you have no imagination to innovate?
    Hollywood studios and sci-fi books have done most of the work for us decades ago.

So what innovative feature that you need in a new iPhone??

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again the consumer is not the one that inovates or comes up with the ideas.
    They are the ones that buy and use the innovative products.
    If a company does not innovate it will eventually die like blackberry, ibm, blockbuster, xerox, yahoo, Polaroid, MySpace, borders and many other huge companies.
    Reasons for stifled innovation:
    • Fixating on one successful offering without accepting something better can (and will) come along
    • Only focusing on the customer of today without anticipating their needs for the future
    • Failure to update technology and change with the times

8. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

1. You haven’t answered my question.

2. Consumers aren’t forbidden to innovative.

3. Why rely on the company to innovative, when you can sell your idea to a company and make it a reality?

9. pat500000, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I think Google should let Apple pay for the license. I mean, Apple wants to protect their assets by building the walls so that no other companies could use theirs. So, why shouldn't Google protect their assets? It looks like Google wants to build their eco-system as well.

Maybe if Apple starts letting droid people use Apple's iMessage and gives them the ability to sync with notes....maybe those would be a great trade-off.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You don't make any sense.
    I'm not in the business of selling ideas or coming up with new products or services.
    I just buy what I like, I'm the end user.

11. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

AGREED. Apple need to absolutely steal this feature.

12. deany macrumors 68030

deany

My top three features:

The always on display. I like the "Now Playing" feature that appears with background music playing along with notifications emails, text etc and time. I didn't quite understand the way the music will be searched. I understand always on microphone but the search appears to occur locally, without server connection.

The "Quick search" searches the whole phone (I guess email, text) google did this on Windows and I missed it when they stopped supporting it years ago I think it was called 'Google desktop'.

I really like the "Live wallpaper"!! with the sea waves splashing on the beach. I think folks might find this feature subliminally relaxing.

13. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah that's the next excuse. And if I say face id with all that infrared doing you harm you will blow it off right? Because apple.

Not saying face id will cause health issues, I highly doubt it would. Just like how faster wireless and wired charging hasn't caused any issues. And before you bring up the note 7, that wasn't caused by fast charging. So let me just stop you right there :).

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not possible.
    It cannot do a search to identify music locally. It needs to connect to remote servers via data connection.

15. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I just don't think you get it. What I'm trying to explain to you is that I am the customer...I'm not paid millions of dollars to innovate, it is not my job to come up with the ideas, my part is buying the product and using the great innovations that the company has produced. Steve Jobs was the ultimate innovator. He saw things that the vast majority of us couldn't have dreamed of in a million years. Now, asking for another Steve Jobs is a bit like basketball asking for another Michael Jordan...Apple would settle for its Kobe Bryant at this point. Staying on the basketball theme, Tim Cook isn't even your average NBA bench player.

16. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    I thought that as well, please scroll to 59.00

17. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

I'm a fan of the Google phones. If I were an Android, I'd seriously consider a Pixel over the Galaxy.

Voice Assistant/Maps are huge for me & Google has the best of both. Apple/IOS needs to give its users an option to default access to both those Google Apps & it'll be my complete phone.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I foresee this being like 3D Touch. A ton of people are hesitant and then “can’t live without it”. If done right I see it being really awesome and not awkward in the slight bit. The point is to do something quickly while pulling it out of your pocket. It’s notgoing to replace the activation method for any activity 100% of the time.

Imagine grabbing your phone out for a photo and having the camera already ready to snap a picture by the time you have it aiming! That is where this sort of action will shine.

19. Sedulous macrumors 68010

Sedulous

Somehow I am not that excited about a squeezy button... but credit for trying something different.

20. Applejuiced, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think you understand what they're presenting in the video.
    It says "without sending any information to google."
    Then it says right after it matches the sound to a database of tens of thousands of song patterns. That database is accessed remotely.
    It would need to have a locally stored database inside your phone with thousand of songs that would be in Terabytes of audio data.
    Just think about it ;)

21. deany, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

"I dont think you understand what they're presenting in the video."

"That database is accessed remotely."

Well even your superior mind needs to listen again, she said:
    "On device Machine Learning detects the music thats playing and matches it to a database of tens of thousands of sound patterns on your phone"

not accessed "remotely" as you state.

in full:

"What makes this feature so special, is that the music is identified without your Pixel 2 sending any information to Google.
    On device Machine Learning detects the music thats playing and matches it to a database of tens of thousands of sound patterns on your phone."....

what she didn't say
    ....and then sends this data to the Shazam server" but I don't know for 100% sure.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I know touch ID is not an easy subject for some. But essentially Apple is replacing it with Face ID, not removing it. But I still see it as an advantage that Apple has iPhone models that still retain Touch ID for the time being with the latest iPhone 8 for those who want the option with the latest technology.

23. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Having the Touch ID on the back of the Pixel 2/XL, in an easily accessible location, makes me feel a little silly for not wanting it there on the X. Smart place to have it. Sure it's better on the front, but it's not anywhere near as bad as I was making out prior to the keynote.

24. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Firstly it was HTC to come up with it first.

Secondly its a stupid feature, I don't want to squeeze my phone I'd rather it be made of quality materials that don't bend or allow you to squeeze.

25. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Being able to squeeze the edges doesn't necessarily mean it's a cheaply built device. Only those who've used the Pixel 2 can confirm this.