Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sylverken

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Don't like it? turn it off...massive overeaction now over.

how-to-turn-off-always-on-display-iphone.jpg

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Was looking forward to it coming from Android where I found it very useful, but Apple's implementation manages to focus on the opposite things that made it useful.

They gave us a literal lock screen that is always on...except when it isn't.

I'd much rather have just a black screen with the clock, widgets, and an indicator I have a notifications, and have it stay on all the time. I don't need to see my wallpaper. I don't need to see the full notification. I just want to glance at my phone at any point during the day (or night) to see the time and if I have any notifications.

I can understand why they did it - its consistent with the apple watch AOD and requires no design changes to the lock screen itself - but it doesn't make it right.

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
I think it depends on the wallpaper and how iOS chooses to dim it, my wallpaper is very dim at night and it doesn't disturb me in the slightest.

AOD has turned out to be a more useful feature to me than Dynamic Island. DI is cool and all but I'm not really interacting with it too much. Even something like a timer is more useful to me visible with AOD rather than me checking DI.

hockeyfan81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
I have it off on my S22 Ultra as I have a smart watch for that, so I'll do the same with my 14 Pro Max gets delivered.

johaen8

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Near Montgomery, AL
I turned mine off, mainly because without a sleep focus, it does not turn off at night. I prefer to just use DND and not set up a sleep schedule. Even at its dimmest setting, its too bright.
You don't need to set up a sleep schedule to use the sleep focus. Just turn on the sleep focus when you go to bed, turn it off when you wake up. That's what I do.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Probably the feature that makes the most difference to me. Saves me what feels like a hundred taps a day as it sits on my desk. I don't have to wake the screen to check if I missed notifications. I can check the weather without waking the screen while I make plans. While charging the phone I can just glance over without tapping to see if it's charged up yet before I unplug and leave. No noticeable impact to battery life.
Same and well said. Did we really need another "I'm not going to use aod" thread? If you don't like it turn it off. I'm happy to have it.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You don't need to set up a sleep schedule to use the sleep focus. Just turn on the sleep focus when you go to bed, turn it off when you wake up. That's what I do.
Exactly. I have a shortcut that turns off the lights, starts a sleep schedule, starts background noise, etc.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Randomnewperson

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
I decided that I hate the always on feature. It seems so pointless to me to see a faint clock and a faint wallpaper image. I dont understand why this was such a big deal to have in the iPhone.

Regardless, this is my opinion - What do you think of the Always On Feature?
If I had been allowed to keep my iPhone 14 instead of returning it like @babyexercise told us all to do I would have kept the AOD off.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
That’s two extra steps. I’m lazy and I don’t want to turn sleep focus on then off again. 🤪

Reactions: 5105973

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
When I get my phone (Sunday, hopefully), I will give it a try and then likely turn it off. I have AOD on my current Note 20 Ultra but I don't have it always on. I have it set up to turn on when I touch the phone. My wife has it always always on. There's a clock, a little rectangle with a picture of us, and a few icons that show up as notifications, like messages. It is very dim. She's had that phone for 2+ years and no burn in. But if I'm not mistaken, Samsung uses pixel shifting.

I will see what I think after using it. My concerns are no controls for brightness and burn in. I read somewhere that Apple doesn't use pixel shifting because it "doesn't need to", whatever that means.

I do wish that Apple allowed more customization of this feature. Perhaps in the future?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Was looking forward to it coming from Android where I found it very useful, but Apple's implementation manages to focus on the opposite things that made it useful.

They gave us a literal lock screen that is always on...except when it isn't.

I'd much rather have just a black screen with the clock, widgets, and an indicator I have a notifications, and have it stay on all the time. I don't need to see my wallpaper. I don't need to see the full notification. I just want to glance at my phone at any point during the day (or night) to see the time and if I have any notifications.

Dunno if it'd help, but as an FYI you can have a dark or black lock screen and a different image for your unlocked homescreen wallpaper.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't "hate" the feature but it's not something I would use. I can see why people do like it but I find it redundant as I'm always wearing my Apple Watch.

Glad that it's a feature that can be turned off for those of us that don't want to use it.
This exactly. Pointless for Apple Watch users it seems. Mine was turned off same day.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Haven't gotten used to it yet. Every time I look and see my screen is on, I assume I just missed a notification. Once I start actually paying attention, I think I won't care much either way.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I’d prefer to have just the clock and maybe app icon notifications.

One thing I would like them to implement is an automation type thing whereby you can select days and times the AOD is on, without having to manually turn it off.

For example, I want it on, Mon-Fri 08:00-17:30, during work hours when I’m at my desk. All other times, I want it off. But I can’t be bothered to keep turning it on and off so I just leave it off

Reactions: 5105973

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
So, a lot of people have talked about how the AOD is too on or bright. Mine is a bit dark though. When I'm on the Lock Screen and press the side button, the screen dims and it looks alright. Then after a second it dims some more and now it's almost too dark. I could swear it did not do the secondary dimming on launch day. Anyone else see this?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I really like the feature, it saves me multiple taps a day.
I dont like the execution. I wish it was more customisable, or at least the wallpaper should be gone and a bit more fine tuned. It just looks like my display is at minimal brightness and confuses me sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.