Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As others know on the 9.3 betas apple are not letting you scroll with the UI with the pencil so how many will stay on 9.2 until they fix this issue?

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Same, mine is staying on 9.2.1 until it is 'fixed'.

Although a colleague did throw an interesting viewpoint that they wondered if Apple had limited the use of the pencil due to the potential for excessive wear on the pencil tips/battery from using it the same amount of time as you use the iPad Pro.

Reactions: jezbd1997

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Same, mine is staying on 9.2.1 until it is 'fixed'.

Although a colleague did throw an interesting viewpoint that they wondered if Apple had limited the use of the pencil due to the potential for excessive wear on the pencil tips/battery from using it the same amount of time as you use the iPad Pro.

I'd seriously doubt that as a reason. Apple wouldn't care about user usage and ware - they'd more care about replacement profits, as Beavix mentions.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So have we all sent e-mails to complain about this? I have sent one already to apple beta and the tim cook one.

Reactions: jezbd1997

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
yes, i have. like they give a toss though ;)
Dunno when people have complained before there has been times where they do listen. We can but hope.

One question though, if you bought a device with 9.3 installed is it possible to downgrade at all? I know you can when 9.3 is on beta for example but if it’s not?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dunno when people have complained before there has been times where they do listen. We can but hope.

One question though, if you bought a device with 9.3 installed is it possible to downgrade at all? I know you can when 9.3 is on beta for example but if it’s not?

Apple probably won't potentially revert the Pencil change until after 9.3 releases to the general public. Not many people actually run iOS betas, and even fewer run iOS beta plus have an iPad Pro, then even fewer who run iOS beta plus have an iPad Pro plus have a Pencil. So because of that I would say a massive chunk of iPad Pro owners do not even know 9.3 gets rid of scrolling and such with the Pencil. So with so few people who would currently even know about the upcoming change would mean they would have equally low feedback about it. I think it won't be until the general public find out after updating, discovering it no longer works that Apple would get enough feedback to warrant possibly reverting it.

If you bought a device and it shipped with 9.3 you could revert back only if 9.2.1 was still being signed at the time. (Which is usually only for 2-3 weeks after a new release)

Newbert

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
Count me as one who won't update until this issue is resolved.

Speaking of that, is there a way to stop/suppress the annoying pop-up when I re-start/re-activate my IPP? You know -- the one urging me to update the iOS?

It's annoying to have to manually say "No" every time.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
would the final public release of an os be a mirror of what the last beta release was, or are Apple liable to adding/deducting features not tested?
Apple can go either way with OS releases. Sometimes, as was the case with 9.2, the release was the exact same as the last beta, but sometimes new features appear when the OS is released to the public.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Apple can go either way with OS releases. Sometimes, as was the case with 9.2, the release was the exact same as the last beta, but sometimes new features appear when the OS is released to the public.

so we could actually see the Pencil navigation re-instated in the public release even if not in the final beta release.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
so we could actually see the Pencil navigation re-instated in the public release even if not in the final beta release.
Could be. It may be a bug, or it may be intentionally changed by Apple. Make sure you're sending feedback if you don't like how it works in the beta.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
What? That can't be intentional can it? I would assume it would be fixed for the public release?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
When you are writing with the pencil it is much easier to scroll with the pencil rather than putting the pencil down and scrolling with your finger.

Reactions: macaximx

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Technically the choice exists regardless, you don't have to use an iPad Pro if you don't like the stylus implementation by Apple. It's very common for Apple to decide how you can or cannot use their devices, e.g. No Adobe Flash, no DVD drive in retina MacBooks, only one USB-C port etc.

Not going to repeat the Jony Ive interview quote (for the uninformed, Jony Ive is the chief design officer at Apple....), but it's almost certain Apple never meant the Pencil for navigation purposes, regardless of how people feel.

Feedback might help change this of course. In addition, I don't see why Apple can't implement area specific scrolling regions or toggled scrolling modes. There's nothing inherently bad in adding this functionality to the Pencil as far as I can see.

Otherwise, it's good that they're maintaining tap functionality, which would continue to allow precision manipulation on e.g. A high resolution VNC / Remote Desktop.

A poll would actually more interesting than just a simple forum thread though @The Game 161.
[doublepost=1455558170][/doublepost]
When you are writing with the pencil it is much easier to scroll with the pencil rather than putting the pencil down and scrolling with your finger.

Hmmmm... How do you expect iOS to distinguish between the pencil making a mark or scrolling the view? Or you mean using the pencil to scroll when dragging on a specific non drawing region?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Hmmmm... How do you expect iOS to distinguish between the pencil making a mark or scrolling the view? Or you mean using the pencil to scroll when dragging on a specific non drawing region?

Of course, scrolling, dragging and pressing on a non drawing region with a pencil is much easier than dropping the pencil, using your finger and then picking up the pencil again.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Of course, scrolling, dragging and pressing on a non drawing region with a pencil is much easier than dropping the pencil, using your finger and then picking up the pencil again.

Why would you drop the pencil to use your finger and pick the pencil back up? Why wouldn't you just lift a finger off the pencil, scroll with your finger and place your finger back onto the pencil when done scrolling?

I'm not defending the removal of allowing the pencil to scroll but you're just making up steps to make it sound more difficult than it actually is to not have scrolling with the pencil.

I found it nice at times, but I don't care too much about it, and I definitely don't care enough to stop updating my iPad Pro altogether because of it. Other features and security > lifting a finger off the pencil to scroll.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Count me as one who will not update if I can't scroll with the pencil. I wouldn't have the IPP at all if I couldn't scroll with it. With that said, I would be shocked of Apple removed the feature.

Reactions: macaximx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.