Who is going to wait for 2nd gen iMac 27" Retina?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Seramir, Oct 16, 2014.

  1. Seramir macrumors member

    Seramir

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    #1
    *Raises hand*

    I currently have a perfectly fast and beautiful 2013 27" iMac, maxed out with everything except for RAM and the 1TB SSD. I was going to sell it and upgrade to the Retina, but I noticed Apple has decided to stick a rather deficient laptop AMD GPU to drive a massive 5K display. I am betting the Retina will perform worse than my 2013 iMac when it comes to gaming and video work (which I do a lot of on).

    In less than a years time, the iMac Retina will be powered with Broadwell CPU and much more powerful GPU. Any problems including performance issues will be ironed out.

    Does it not make perfect sense to wait until the refresh, especially when you already have an awesome iMac? I think so. I really love to have a 5k Retina display, but right now I don't think is the right time to pull the trigger. I like to know who else is waiting it out like me!
     
  2. Kayan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Location:
    CA
    #2
    For you to wait, perhaps it makes sense. For me, a person who has been waiting almost 2 years, to wait...is much less clear. Sure they could've used a better vcard, but then it would've been more expensive or some other trade-off. Also, there will always be a better next version. That's how technology grows.

    However, after reading some reviews on the chosen vcard vs some of the others that people wished would've been used, I've seen how the performance difference is not as drastically different as many people on this forum are making it sound. It's not like the NVIDIA 980M is twice as fast as the AMD M295X. One review even went so far as to state that the performance difference was more like a 10 (for the NVIDIA) compared to a 9 (for the AMD). This is definitely not worth whining about and well justifies the wait to see how these new iMacs actually perform after some reviewers get their hands on them.
     
  3. leenak macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #3
    I have a rMBP right now and I've been finding myself wanting more screen real estate and I was thinking of buying a new computer next year sometime and despite the various options, including buying the current iMac (non-retina) I went with retina because the discounts made it worth it. The price for the non-retina vs vs retina was about $300 with my CTO configuration.
     
  4. boto macrumors 6502

    boto

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2012
    #4
    I'm gonna wait till the next refresh. The performance difference from my 2012 maxed out version isn't significant to warrant a new one, even with its gorgeous retina display. I'm also afraid of using any machine with AMD graphics. The drivers and reliability has always caused issues for me so I hope they offer more options next year.
     
  5. mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    #5
    I am gonna wait it out maybe for the 3rd and 4th, my reasons include:

    1.Hard drive space my 3tb is already full with movies and tv show shows bought from iTunes, so there is no point buying another desktop with just 3tb storage.

    2. My 2013 iMac already has a nvidia 4gb video card still works great

    3. No Ultra HD Content on the iTunes store (this is deal breaker for me when content become available than i will pull the plug.

    4. No revisions to port.

    5. What about Retina HD?

    6. Design still the same. (i will be buying the same thing)

    7. Better Processors on the horizon.

    These are my reasons to wait it out.
     
  6. orestes1984, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

    orestes1984 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    ? $3000 for an iMac in this country. Are Apple delusional or what? Who pays $3000 for a glorified laptop, I'm sorry 5K isn't such a big deal to justify what you can spend on a real computer ¿
     
  7. kittiyut macrumors regular

    kittiyut

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #7
    *raises hand*

    I have a late 2009 (yes 2009!) BTO iMac (2.8 i7). Upgraded the RAM to 16GB, took out the old HD and CD and installed a 500GB SSD and 1TB 7,200rpm drive. Very very happy with the speed and stability (rock solid). Waiting for the 5K to come out but with Broadwell around the corner, I think I'll wait as well.
     
  8. c.s. macrumors regular

    c.s.

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    #8
    I can't imagine if I had waited a year when the rMBP came out in 2012. Best computer I've ever owned and has run flawlessly since then. I've been waiting for this product. High DPI makes such a difference in the day to day experience of using a computer. I use mine every day. Waiting for a few spec bumps seems like lunacy.
     
  9. chukronos macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2004
    Location:
    Colleyville, TX
    #9
    No need for me to upgrade now. My iMac is only 1-1/2 yrs old - and it is by far my favorite computer I have owned.

    I am really glad they have gone ahead and introduced the retina iMac so can work out any kinks by the time I upgrade.

    I still can't believe how affordable they made the retina iMac. I thought for sure it would be about $4k for an upgraded processor and GPU. Wow!
     
  10. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2009
    #10
    I'm not sure. My 2010 MBP is sort of showing its age, and I was waiting for this Retina iMac release/iMac refresh, but I'm sort of nervous about paying $3k (I need i7 and would prefer getting the top of the line GPU) for my next computer. I can't decide if I should build a Hackintosh, or wait for Broadwell, or what.
     
  11. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

    xmichaelp

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2012
  12. DoctorZoidberg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2014
    #12
    Neither can I…
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
     
  13. Georgio macrumors 6502

    Georgio

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    Essex, UK
    #13
    I'm with you pal; if I'm spending that amount of money I want it to be right, not a compromise.

    Hopefully this time next year they'll finally get it right.
     
  14. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    Lincoln, UK
    #14
    I got a 15" rMBP at the end of last year to replace my late 2006 model 24" iMac. I would have got an iMac if there had been a retina version then.

    I am seriously considering selling the rMBP to get the retina iMac. One thing making me think of waiting for the next model is Thunderbolt 3. That is due soon and will have the bandwidth for using the iMac as a monitor at full resolution. A potential option for when the internals are no longer fast enough.
     
  15. iTiki macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2007
    Location:
    Maui, Hawaii
    #15
    I'm only waiting because I want to be sure there are not any bugs to be worked out. Also, I'm guessing there will be advantages to the next CPU and who knows how the switch to new GPU will pan out. I don't upgrade as often as most users and want to make sure all is good before I make the leap. Hoping all this comes to place next spring....
     
  16. ColorWerx macrumors newbie

    ColorWerx

    Joined:
    May 23, 2014
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #16
    I just pulled the plug in July on a maxed-out 27" iMac (32GB Crucial, 3TB Fusion), and I agree - I'll wait to upgrade again once they've ironed out the bugs.

    I was DESPERATE for a new computer; couldn't wait any longer for a then-rumored Retina iMac. Still think I made the right choice.
     
  17. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    Location:
    Illinois
    #17
    After today's message that due to DisplayPort limitations it's a pass. You won't be able to use it as an external monitor and DP 1.3 isn't due for at least a year so no Mac Pro/iMac external 5k for awhile.
     
  18. steve23094 macrumors 68000

    steve23094

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2013
    #18
    There are no reviews of the R9 M295X, it hasn't been released yet. The iMac is the first to use this chip. AMD have not announced it's stats. There are a number of sites that have predicted it's specifications but that's all they are, 'predictions' and they all copy each other. I suspect they are probably correct but we just don't know for sure.

    I have seen the website you are referring to with the 9 vs 10 scoring. I can't find it right now but please feel free to leave a link. All the site is doing is comparing the rumoured spec's, there is no benchmarking or review.

    I hope that the R9 M295X performs admirably because I want to buy one of these iMacs, but I fear the worst and it will pale in comparison to a 980M.

    ----------

    What do you think Broadwell is going to bring to the table in a desktop?
     
  19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #19
    Not for me. I'm still on my 2012 rMBP and am really wanting an upgrade. I thought I'd hang on for a series 2 of the nMP, but the 5k tips me over the edge without a doubt.

    Broadwell isn't a massive deal for desktops, and we'll have to wait for Skylake before getting DP1.3 and the ability to drive an external 5k monitor.

    I've always though resolution was everything, from the old days running an interlaced 15" monitor to get Autocad at higher resolution, to the ultra-expensive 1600x1200 monitors of early this century, to the retina MBP.

    This is the next jump, and I'm right there day one. Of course, in two or three years, it'll be even better. But I doubt the screen will have improved significantly in that time...
     
  20. bwsteg macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Location:
    Queens NY
    #20
    Do you think its possible that Apple redesign's the iMac appearance as quickly as next year? Or is it safe to "assume" that the current casing is here to stay for the next few years?
     
  21. TRAV9614, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  22. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    #22
    I just got my rMBP so I think I'm going to wait for a while... maybe whenever DDR4 is standard with thunderbolt 3, nvidia card etc lol
     
  23. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #23
    I doubt that the imac needs a redesign next year, probably will just get a processor bump to broadwell and various spec improvements.

    The next major change to imac is to make it into an external display (which I bet won't be happening until Skylake), and then perhaps to increase the screen size even if they do it with a similar overall size by putting a 30" in the same case.
     
  24. mtneer macrumors 68020

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #24
    I dont think there will be Broadwell desktop parts within a year. You may see the mobile/ tablet units come out first with the desktop parts lagging further out than a year.
     
  25. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

    Wahlstrm

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2013
    #25
    Since my monitor, that I paid about $2500 for back in 2008 have started to buzz and my Mini don´t support 4K+ resolutions this new iMac is quite the deal for me.

    I don´t want to buy a new sub-4K display and if I buy 4K+ then I need a new computer to run all the pixels.. I will end up spending at least $5000 for a new machine + monitor.. The iMac is about $3000 with the necessary upgrades..

    In 36months when the applecare expires I can sell/give it away and buy something nicer for the $2000 I saved :)
     

Share This Page