Who is ready to drop the iPhone?

rucc22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
I love everything apple. I love my iPhone. I always try to defend it when people bash it. But I'm getting so fed up with the crappy service. Too many call failed and dropped calls and cutting out and trying to make a phone call and getting nothing. Anyone else getting the itch to switch back to verizon? What's holding you back?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Well, since I've been with AT&T for years and have never experienced any dropped calls or failed calls except in very marginal areas or when moving between cells in rural areas, no, I have no inclination to switch to Verizon.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I'm more then ready to drop my 3G for what Apple releases in the summer! But I don't wan't another phone at the moment. Interested to see what Android will be in the future. I wish somebody would release like an iPod Touch running Android, if it doesn't exist already?

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I love everything apple. I love my iPhone. I always try to defend it when people bash it. But I'm getting so fed up with the crappy service. Too many call failed and dropped calls and cutting out and trying to make a phone call and getting nothing. Anyone else getting the itch to switch back to verizon? What's holding you back?
Where exactly are you located that your service is so bad? I live in the DC area and make about 1,500 -2,000 mintue worth of calls a month and maybe drop 4 calls, and BTW that is in the general same areas when I am in the car.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Where exactly are you located that your service is so bad? I live in the DC area and make about 1,500 -2,000 mintue worth of calls a month and maybe drop 4 calls, and BTW that is in the general same areas when I am in the car.
I'm also in the DC area and make about 10 calls a day.

About 3-4 of those calls will get dropped. So in the course of a year I probably have over 1,000 dropped calls.

Still worth it to have an iPhone. I have no idea what phone I'd buy if I were forced to go to Verizon.

marksandvig

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
att is great in Los Angeles where Im from, but going to school in Arizona makes me want to switch to Verizon everyday considering the map for AT&T says I should get "great" service when I get 1 bar in my home and it drops all the time.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I usually have no problems on my iPhone 3Gs on Fido. I've only had maybe one dropped call in an area which is a deadzone not only for cellular service but also Satellite radio. It is in the path of an array of dishes of the local cable company. They interfere with everything around them.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Everyone claiming to drop the iPhone for *insert random supposed iPhone killer/network* will most likely flock back when OS 4.0/iPhone IV debuts in the summer

People are fickle/flip floppers.

Also if you had millions of people hammering your 3G network every second you'd have a sucky network too

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Service wise, i've never had a problem. AT&T pretty much owns this city to the point where they have their name in the school stadium for christ' sake (Texas Tech stadium), so it's expected to have good service.

However, after having the phone for a few years, it's starting to get old in my eyes. Having the same thing for upwards of 2 years is starting to have its effect on me. Add that with the fact that now everyone and their moms has an iphone, and i just get kinda sick of seeing the thing around.

The Android phones are looking mighty good at the moment. Plus those commercials are really starting to appeal to me for some reason. Will probably sell my iphone and go the android phone/ipod touch route for a change, but holding on til i hear what Jobs has in store next til i make it official

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Everyone claiming to drop the iPhone for *insert random supposed iPhone killer/network* will most likely flock back when OS 4.0/iPhone IV debuts in the summer

People are fickle/flip floppers.

Also if you had millions of people hammering your 3G network every second you'd have a sucky network too
+1
If people would look at story on web traffic share, you can see that over 50 percent of web traffic in the US on networks is from iPhones. It spiked up to 70% in June.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I've constantly been on the lookout for a new smartphone. I completely agree with the OP. I love my iPhone, but my service is so crappy and unreliable in Southeastern Michigan that I would love to jump ship to something else. The problem is, I just can't find anything else that I could live with besides the iPhone. There's other phones that come close, but I just haven't found anything better.

IMFSHN

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
I was one Verizon for 8 years and finally bought my wife and myself a pair of 32GB 3GS'

I never had any problems with Verizon, and am happy with AT&T since June.

[However, adding Flash support would be great]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.